Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak downriggers and trolling for trout  (Read 5221 times)

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Got a new video put together doing an overview of downrigger operation and trolling for trout.  Have a look, hope some of you guys find it useful.

Tight lines,
beenfishin

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quality, Ben.  Nice job.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i would highly recommend the use of shuttle hawks from a pedal kayak.

At least for freshwater of depths less than 50ft.  can dial in your depth a lot better that way, and only have to crank once in a rare while.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Thanks for doing the video :) I'm still trying to understand the shuttle hawks. You have to use two rod on the same DR?

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Thanks for doing the video :) I'm still trying to understand the shuttle hawks. You have to use two rod on the same DR?
nope. you just connect the shuttle hawk to the downrigger line, then clip the line from your rod into the shuttlehawk clip. I change my shuttlehawk clips out to the scotty ones since i don't like those little red ones they come with.  then, while pedaling, let go of the shuttle hawk, while keeping tension on your rod and reel - super important to keep tension so it will dive.. it will dive and pull your line down until the shuttlehawk hits your downrigger ball.  i usually put a small bead above the connection for the downrigger ball to ensure the shuttlehawk doesnt get tangled when it hits the bottom. 

to retrieve, pop the line out of the clip, and pedal. it will cause the shuttle hawk to rise up until its next to your kayak. if you don't actively move, the shuttle hawk will just stay at the bottom. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:13:26 PM by bmb »

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
also, i just got a new gopro clone so i'm going to try and make a video of how to use the shuttle hawk while downrigging - it really is a time saver once you figure out how to use it.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Thanks for the props gents.  :smt001

Shuttle Hawks are sweet and definitely have their place.  You can run two rods off one downrigger line with the Shuttle Hawk but on a yak that gets pretty crowded.  The idea with the Shuttle Hawk is to drop your downrigger weight to desired depth, slide the Hawk over your downrigger line, secure in place, then attach your line to the release clip on the Hawk.  Let go of it, and it will slide down the downrigger line until it hits your weight (or a stopper along the way).  Fish its, line pops free, and the Hawk travels back up the downrigger line, allowing for a re-set of gear without having to haul up your weight....

Ha, just saw your response above, well put.  : )

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
nope. you just connect the shuttle hawk to the downrigger line, then clip the line from your rod into the shuttlehawk clip. I change my shuttlehawk clips out to the scotty ones since i don't like those little red ones they come with.  then, while pedaling, let go of the shuttle hawk, while keeping tension on your rod and reel. it will dive and pull your line down until the shuttlehawk hits your downrigger ball.  i usually put a small bead above the connection for the downrigger ball to ensure the shuttlehawk doesnt get tangled when it hits the bottom. 

to retrieve, pop the line out of the clip, and pedal. it will cause the shuttle hawk to rise up until its next to your kayak. if you don't actively move, the shuttle hawk will just stay at the bottom.

awesome. Thanks for the explanation. Make sense. Better get it out and start using it.  :smt006

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
nope. you just connect the shuttle hawk to the downrigger line, then clip the line from your rod into the shuttlehawk clip. I change my shuttlehawk clips out to the scotty ones since i don't like those little red ones they come with.  then, while pedaling, let go of the shuttle hawk, while keeping tension on your rod and reel. it will dive and pull your line down until the shuttlehawk hits your downrigger ball.  i usually put a small bead above the connection for the downrigger ball to ensure the shuttlehawk doesnt get tangled when it hits the bottom. 

awesome. Thanks for the explanation. Make sense. Better get it out and start using it.  :smt006
yeah.  keeping it under tension on your rod/reel side is really important.  by doing that, you pull the back end of it up, and the front end goes nose down and dives.  a lot of people who don't like the shuttle hawk don't seem to know that and are essentially expecting it to sink like a brick.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
i would highly recommend the use of shuttle hawks from a pedal kayak.

At least for freshwater of depths less than 50ft.  can dial in your depth a lot better that way, and only have to crank once in a rare while.

I like to crank my weight up and down.  Gave up on Shuttle Hawks after a few trips because of the extra drag.

Great Video, I enjoyed it.  :smt006
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Great video

Shuttle hawk is a must on a paddle yak imo. Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to raise and lower the weight on a pedal boat.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:15:47 PM by sonoramike »

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Nice Video.

+1 on the Shuttle Hawk. I agree with Ben.

I've been using the Shuttle Hawk for over 6 years and there's no going back for me. I've even used the Shuttle Hawk while trolling for salmon in the ocean.

Make sure to replace the clips that came with it. Replace them with Scotty Power Grip clips.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Stacker-Release-60-Inch-Leader/dp/B004O0FT6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481754072&sr=8-3&keywords=Scotty+clip

You can adjust the tension by moving the line and the spring.

I think this is the cause of most people's PITA experience with the Shuttle Hawk. I almost never have to bring up my DR ball till I head back in.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Great video

Shuttle hawk is a must on a paddle yak imo. Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to raise and lower the weight on a pedal boat.
it takes the same amount of time to raise and lower a downrigger ball on a pedal kayak as on a paddle kayak.  but deploying the shuttle hawk under tension is so much easier in a pedal kayak.  i like the shuttle hawks best because it can automatically deploy my line to the exact depth that it was at previously, especially if i got a hit or hookup.  don't have to worry about blowback such that I can't see the ball on my FF anymore.  there is a little extra drag, but that's pretty minimal to me since with my braided line downrigger.  Plus i'm usually trying to troll really slow for kokanee (1.1-1.5) and the extra drag doesn't really matter at that speed.  I really only troll kokanee with downriggers anyways - occasionally for trout but prefer toplining.

i didn't get out for kokanee this year primarily due to the bad years at melones and berry.  I probably won't get out for them too much next year either.

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Great video Ben, nicely done!  A lot of new info for a DR-trolling neophyte like me  :smt001.
aMayesing Bros.

anything