Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Elk - August 4, 2007  (Read 14970 times)

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Oh and the raffle, I won one of Erics killer gaffs, Bills killer swimbaits a kayak fishing video and we cant wait till next year!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Lilly is now officially the heiress...too funny!

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Amazing event as always! I was happy Chuck let me be the 2nd fry man. I got all the veggies, egg rolls and lumpia. He would not let me touch the fish!  :smt003

The food was totally over the to this year. Tin's wife brought homemade spring rolls that where the bomb but the best where her pot stickers! Holly smokes! I only got one but it was the best pot sticker I have ever eaten. Friday night fish fry then Saturday night fry party and amazing tri tip, enchiladas and coconut curry chicken.

Oh yeah and we went fishing  :smt005 I landed about 4 underlings to start the day, the largest was 23". I was way up north right outside Coffy Cove drifting with Chuck. Chuck was doing pretty well on his double rig. I landed a few small rockfish to go with all my underlings. I started heading back to the beach and decide to take a few more drifts just north of the launch. I hooked up with something big but it let go before I got it to color. Sensing a large fish, FishHunter comes over to snake my spot and immediatly hooks up with a nice 28" ling. You're nice to a guy, make him swim baits, call him to review tide books and this is the thanks I get!!!   :smt044

It turned out to be a good thing as I setup one last drift and just as I am about to wind up for the day I get a FISH ON!! I can tell it is pretty heavy to. I get it close to the boat and plant my Kunz gaff into and drag it on board. Turned out to be the 5th place fish I think and my personal best ling.

That bulge in his belly is a 13" half digested greenling, probably good for at least an extra pound.  :smt005

Thanks again to the entire town of Elk for letting us invade their little corner of paradise and the White family for making it all happen! Can't wait until next year!

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
but the best where her pot stickers! Holly smokes!

Word!!!  Those were delicious

That ling looked LATE in the third trimester, it was the fattest ever.  The melting greenling was fantastically disgusting.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Here's a few pics...

1.  JTF with his winning Ling.
2 & 3 - PETA actually made an apperance  :smt044
4,5,6 - The festivities.

2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Big J

• Janice
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
I made it to Elk just in time for lots of conversation and food...and, oh yeah, winning a gift certificate to Outdoor Pro. NCKA is a class act, and meeting the families who support you guys' "addiction" was especially fun. Let the madness continue!

Janice aka "Big J"
2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Freshwater Derby Champion, Women's Division

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Thank you once again Sean, Leah and Family for an unforgettable weekend.  My third elk appearance and I win the crown jewel of Kayak Fishing Derbys!   Or, just to be a derby winner is an honor in itself, included with names like ChuckE, Eric Kunz, Brian Steves, and many other great fisherpeoples that make this NCKA forum their home. 

Thank you to the town of Elk, Bill, to Eric Kunz for all his work on the raffle and what it does, Cobra kayaks, Chris Petersen for the tequila, thanks to whomever brought the wine, thanks to all the people who shared their awesome food dishes. 

So, as for my winning ling, I caught it on a fluorescent green and yellow 7" fishtrap that had a orange tail.  It was 35 1/2 inches and weighed 16.2 lbs.  I caught the ling around 8:30 in the morning in or near the same place Eric had caught his ling last year.  Before I hooked up, Ben(guitarzan) mentioned to me that the fat lady hadn't even begun to sing yet and I was like, "yeah, yeah, I just want to have fun this year and not stress on winning" then, next thing I know, I have a nice size ling. I had no idea it would be the contender it was.  A little later on I heard Danglin on the radio saying he had a 35 incher.  Cause enough for me to keep on fishin till the very end.  I was pretty sure Kunz or Freddie, Chuck, or some other slayer would have a fish the same size so I fished till the very last minute I could.

Never underestimate your competition, especially not our norcal yak anglers, that was why I came  up late to the weigh in, when there are some of these guys you know that slam big fish, you owe them every last bit of effort you have.  To me this is the competition to win.  I'll be smiling for a long time after this one.  Thanks again to everyone who came and I really enjoyed hangin out with all of you.  Congrats to Danglin and Fuzzy Tom on your 2nd and 3rd place finishes.  JTF..
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
WTG everyone. Couldn't make the trip this year. Maybe next year.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Sensing a large fish, FishHunter comes over to snake my spot and immediatly hooks up with a nice 28" ling. You're nice to a guy, make him swim baits, call him to review tide books and this is the thanks I get!!!   :smt044

Turned out to be the 5th place fish I think and my personal best ling.
Bill.......thnx for the Raida' swimmers,I WIIL get "the BIG ONE!" (since my team can't)...and the NEW 08" TIDEBOOK is out already,I'll give you a call so we can REVEIW it together :smt008
....as for the "SNAKE" remark... I was HUNTIN for a Cabbie there, your lucky I got that "pesky little 29"er out of your way, cuz after I got it lipped,I turned to look at you and right as you were settin-steel!
Pics~1&2   Look at your SMILE!!...you went from HATIN' to ELATIN'!!

Pic~3   The Northern Hunting Territtory from above(the view as you drive down hwy1 to the gathering spot)

I got lots more pics to post.........you know how I roll

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:09:32 AM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Thursday PM, I met Randall,Ty and Liz at their campground at Albion....

Randall, thanks for the invitation!

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Inspired by Chris /cpyaks "proper way of hauling your kayak up the Elk hill", Ty and I figured that the pool noodle on the sling would make things more comfortable....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
At Albion, Ty ventured out to the mouth of the river to fish from shore....and he came back with this  :smt104.....only to find out later on that this dead fish was found floating around by the rocks  :smt013...

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
It WAS........"THE MOTHER of ALL"  YAK-FISIN' CAMPOUTS EVER
All will be measured to this one.
Thanks to FAMILY WHITE and the Elk Community for comming up with an EVENT such as this!(oh ya? you too Bill :smt002) it is like NO OTHER! til we "outdoit" next year :smt003

When I first got started at this MADNESS,I saw all those BIG LINGS and thought that it would be TOO COOL! to get into this and meet people that have PASSION and DESIRE for what they do with their "cherished" time off.
I now am into this for two years and have had more FUN and GOODTIMES then most would have in a lifetime! :smt010

Here are some pics....I'll post them in bunches to spread the love out(i got work to do you know)  

pic1....something to see during my 3hr. drive(left the house 4:30am)

pic2....Joe,Paul(WON) and Sean heading to the "Tunnel of Love"

pic3....scwafish thinkin TACOS
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:27:50 AM by FisHunter »
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
On my way to Elk (from Albion), I was overwhelmed with the scenery :smt007.....

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Ty, on his first kayak trip on the ocean... scores his first legal ling  :groupwave
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:10:50 AM by Mooch »

anything