Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ab diving  (Read 4207 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

This is the one davey uses.  On and off in a snap. http://www.bluewaterhunter.com

Lee-Next time I will show you some ab spots with WAY better diving than Van Dammit :smt003

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Yeah that's the kind I have to and I love it. I just don't know if I could one handed semi-release it so it would still be around my waist, but would fall off if S.W.B. occurred. Or I think it would be easier with the Rob Allen. Anyways Sean, I can't wait to dive with you. I just p.m. Joel about our trip. We stopped at Point Arena, then Elk, then Vandamme and stayed overnight at Fort Bragg before cruz'n Hwy 20 to Mendo, which kinda sucked. It was nice to driving up hwy one taking our time, taking in the scenery. I could not believe how windy Fort Ross was(25 mph) and by the time we got to P.A. there was barely a breeze, no white-caps, a tiny swell and about 15 ab floats 150 yards from the pier. I blew it! I also spotted some whales just hanging out in that protected area just south of P.A. That looked like a good diving spot but maybe a little sharky; ya know which area I'm talking about? Lee

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That area to the south is Moat Creek.  Its supposedly a great spot for fish and abs but have heard it may be sharky too.  Elk is a great ab spot but a long walk.

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm no experience freediver but it's funny how you can just look at an area and get that sense "Looks like a great area for a big fish with big teeth to hang out" :smt009 . I might be interested in checking that area out in the shallows though if there's shore access, or do you have to yak from P.A.? Anyways, the calves were in there, but they might not be so concerned with G.W.s as they are with Killer Whales from Monterey. Food for thought. So at Elk, you just walk down that dirt road that points south and that takes you to the beach? I went down a little; how long do you think it is? Man, walking up the hill at Fort Ross carrying my weight belt (22 lbs), Jen's weight belt (22lbs), my innertube with gear, and 4 little abs. I'm still tired.  -LEE

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Being a fisherman, you know where you'd try fishing for whitey.  For instance, the north shore of fort ross cove.  It drops off FAST to 60 feet in the middle of the cove, whereas the south shore drops off at least 1/3 as fast and is usually choked with kelp and washrocks.  Aught to make a large pelagic shark feel claustrophobic.

BTW, salt point says the vis is up to 6-8ft (was 4-6ft on sat), and calm seas forecast.  Hopefully this weekend will provide excellent conditions!

-Josh
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yeah Josh, I love that kelp!!! Makes me feel nice and cozy. :smt003  On Sat, when we were deciding wether or not to go in, we started talking to a trio. One guy said he used to go out to the point between the beach and the protected cove. It sticks out kind of far, but not too far. Anyways he told us that he's seen the same shark twice out there (out of aprx. 130 dives). After the second time his appetite changed for that point. I've also seen a seal jumping out of the water hauling ass away from that point once; who knows what that meant but it wasn't comforting. Also, the second time I went diving(3 yrs ago), as I was getting in some guys were getting out and they started talking to Jen. They were diving around the outside corner of the protected cove(maybe the area you're refering to). The guy said a seal was bugging him so he took a poke at it with his iron. It came back later and when he turn to poke at it again he realized that he was about to smack a G.W. It swam away and they finished out their limit before coming in. I think the moral of the story is if we're under water and they can see us clearly, they probably won't attack, but who knows? Just keep a partner with ya.

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
One more thing; the forecast looks like 5-15 knts and 5' swell for thur-sun so I might be in for F.R. The only thing that bugs me is that they have the identicle forecast for 3 days in a row which tells me they are not sure, but lets see what happens. Lee

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If the weather cooperates I am going for an ab/spear combo Friday too, although somewhere in Mendo if i can find a buddy.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
I've got a job going down near Shelter Cove and was considering trying my luck for a salmon (or two? :smt002) at the Cove then a dive.  Care to join me on Friday, Scwa?
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
There's a huge haulout about 3/4 mile north of the cove too.  The kelp bed there is huge, but...  

Not much kelp right now anyway.  Last fall the area I dove was filled with bull kelp.  Sat there wasn't a shred of it.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Any word on salmon at shelter?  Its currently not worth the effort at Ft. Bragg.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Tomorrow's paper will have a report.  It's been hit and miss, but the nice thing is that the fishing is within a mile of the easy launch.  I'll let you know tomorrow what the newspaper fishing report says.

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Where is Shelter Cove. I know I've heard of it but can't remember where. Is that by Salt Point? -Lee

Lee Poston

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Never mind, I found it. -Lee

LoletaEric

• Manatee
So how about it, Lee--you coming up?!   :smt001

There aren't many people on this board who are willing to travel to Humboldt, but I would welcome anyone who responds.  Shelter Cove is a 45 minute drive from 101 at Garberville which is 2.5 hours north of Santa Rosa.  The Cove is known for its great abalone diving, salmon fishing, and bottom fishing--although that doesn't open for a bit.  It is the gateway to the Lost Coast to the north--25 miles of roadless shoreline up to the mouth of the Mattole River near Petrolia--and the New Lost Coast to the south--about 25 miles of roadless shoreline to where highway 1 cuts inland and becomes 101 south of Garberville.  Most of my 10" abs have come from those 50 miles of shoreline including the Cove itself.  I'm itching to catch a salmon though!   :smt004

anything