Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Halibut in the Bay?  (Read 1786 times)

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Ok, so here's the deal-- been hearing reports of hallies coming from both berkeley area and from Paradise.  
Now, usually i figure these are just rumors- but...  I talked to a few folks up here last night, and both said that they knew of different people that had 'butts trolling off berkeley.  
Last year this time we had early reports as well...so I'm betting they are in now.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
If they are in the bay does that mean they are concentrated in the usual places in the ocean?

The OTHER Ken

That they are showing up in the bay doesn't nescessarily mean they are coming up shallower in the ocean. I have found a few all year round, working very hard, in the bay and the ocean, but have noticed over the years that the bite doesn,t heat upin the ocean until at least a month after i'm catching good in the bay.
 I too have some friends reports of one here and there in the bay already, while fishing stripers or sturgeon. I know of three that came in between Oyster point and Sierra point this last week (Candelstick Park area).
 I want to try for them in my kayak this year but don't want to go alone.
 I'll keep you guys posted when I hear the bite heating up and will watch this board for a group trip.
 Do you guys know a launch spot in the east bay where we can catch some shiner perch on the way out?
Stripers and Halibut from a kayak would be a BLAST for me.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've hard some coastside rumors too, but not enough that they're really getting motivated yet.  Maybe I should try to stir something up at PFIC so they'll get out and confirm it.  Those guys really pull out the stops for halibut season.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I tried for halibut around the Oakland Airport today.  I trolled with a hair raiser, rattle trap, and also drifted with herring.  The water was too cloudy for it to be any good.  I really didn't expect to get bit, but I just had to get out and enjoy the day.  I talked to boater at Oyster Point.  He was doing the same thing with no luck.

It's only a matter of time.  I have feeling the butts will be in early this year.

To the "Other Ken" --- you're welcome to join me anytime.  I usually drift the Alameda Rockwall.  I caught 3 there last year in the same exact spot.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

the OTHER Ken

A 7 pounder was caught this last weekend out of Alameda and 2 over 15 pounds were caught off of Paradise (That's what we call it.Candelstick area). All by drifting frozen chovies. I want to try but need to get some Shiner perch on the way out. Do any of you know where to launch near BayFarm or the Bridge near it (Alameda) so I could fish the old docks and pilings for live bait before paddling out there.
 I have heard the water is almost clear enough to troll. Have any of you trolled for Halibut? If so, What lures do you use?

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I like a floating, shallow diving rapala, with a few oz of sinker on a dropper loop a few feet ahead of it.  That keeps your lure near the bottom.  Lots of guys in PBs use a small dodger in front of a harnessed anchovy or large hoochie.  I thinking to make some tinsel jigs to try this with, maybe put a small float in front of the jig to keep the hook off the bottom.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

anything