Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Halibut at oyster point Sat 07/12/19  (Read 1185 times)

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi All, I’m going to oyster point tomorrow. Plan to launch at 6am. Anyone else going. I’ll be in a camo outback. Sonny.

FishinFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Hi Mijo :smt006
I thought you already went. My bad. Let me know how it goes today. I'm planning to be there next week. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:47:48 AM by henry_ho521 »
Henry

Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting.

Gaeta54

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hi All, I’m going to oyster point tomorrow. Plan to launch at 6am. Anyone else going. I’ll be in a camo outback. Sonny.

See you there camo pa
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:28:56 AM by Gaeta54 »
Will travel for fish

2017 adventure island red

2015 hobie revo 13 yellow

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi Henry and Gaeta54,

I only got two shakers today. Wind was already blowing ar 6am and then just got worse.  I eventually came in at 11am. Seems like most of the kayakers hung Just outside the marina entrance as the wind picked up. How did you all do?

Mijo

YakColumbo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
My brother-in-law, Randy, and I tried OP yesterday.  We got a little bit of a late start; launched at about 7:30 with a few other yakkers too. As stated before, the wind was a factor, without my motor it would have been a no-go for me.

We worked the area just outside the marina to start the morning, got nothing. Drifted with the wind and worked the twenty foot depth for quite a while. Still nothing but one missed strike.

We decided to start fighting the wind and go back closer to the marina, while slogging our way through the wind chop, Randy hooked a shaker. I turned to see if I could assist him and had a really good nite that didn’t stick. Oh well... As we continued back toward OP I had a nice strike that stuck! I played him in, got him beside my kayak, clearly it was a keeper. When I attempted to net him he took off for the bottom again. Back to the side of the kayak, my second attempt at the landing net, scooped him in tail first as my line prevented me from getting his head in first. He was in the net! ...then he went ballistic and got my flash minnow tangled in the net and managed to shake himself free. Dammit! Would have been my first keeper ‘but.

Alas, we tried for a while longer in closer to the marina for no more bites. Got tired of the wind and wrapped it up at about eleven.

In retrospect, I figured that I probably should have tried the gaff. Oh well, give it another shot next weekend.

Cheers, Jim

Gaeta54

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hi Henry and Gaeta54,

I only got two shakers today. Wind was already blowing ar 6am and then just got worse.  I eventually came in at 11am. Seems like most of the kayakers hung Just outside the marina entrance as the wind picked up. How did you all do?

Mijo

Yes was windy but I managed To get  25 inch and 24 inch Hali and a 19 inch stripper
Will travel for fish

2017 adventure island red

2015 hobie revo 13 yellow

FishinFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
It's been quite windy lately for sure. I still want to give it a try though. Think I'll launch at OP around 6am this coming Tuesday. I wouldn't mind some company. Let me know  :smt006
Henry

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
It's been quite windy lately for sure. I still want to give it a try though. Think I'll launch at OP around 6am this coming Tuesday. I wouldn't mind some company. Let me know  :smt006

I might see you out there. I'll be watching the wind closely though as I went Friday and was seeing similar rough weather at 6am and decided not to launch.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

FishinFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I might see you out there. I'll be watching the wind closely though as I went Friday and was seeing similar rough weather at 6am and decided not to launch.

Yeah. I'm watching the wind too. Keep me posted 👍
Henry

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
My brother-in-law, Randy, and I tried OP yesterday.  We got a little bit of a late start; launched at about 7:30 with a few other yakkers too. As stated before, the wind was a factor, without my motor it would have been a no-go for me.

We worked the area just outside the marina to start the morning, got nothing. Drifted with the wind and worked the twenty foot depth for quite a while. Still nothing but one missed strike.

We decided to start fighting the wind and go back closer to the marina, while slogging our way through the wind chop, Randy hooked a shaker. I turned to see if I could assist him and had a really good nite that didn’t stick. Oh well... As we continued back toward OP I had a nice strike that stuck! I played him in, got him beside my kayak, clearly it was a keeper. When I attempted to net him he took off for the bottom again. Back to the side of the kayak, my second attempt at the landing net, scooped him in tail first as my line prevented me from getting his head in first. He was in the net! ...then he went ballistic and got my flash minnow tangled in the net and managed to shake himself free. Dammit! Would have been my first keeper ‘but.

Alas, we tried for a while longer in closer to the marina for no more bites. Got tired of the wind and wrapped it up at about eleven.

In retrospect, I figured that I probably should have tried the gaff. Oh well, give it another shot next weekend.

Cheers, Jim

Huge bummer man but it happens.  I was in the blue revo by you that saw this go down.  That net looked a liiiittle small =D

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
.then he went ballistic and got my flash minnow tangled in the net and managed to shake himself free. Dammit! Would have been my first keeper ‘but.

How do you rig your flash minnow for trolling? Just send it down with lead like any other setup? 
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

FishinFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

Yeah. I'm watching the wind too. Keep me posted 👍

So far the wind condition seems to be ok tomorrow morning. I might launch around 7am tomorrow.
Henry