Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Setting up a full sized truck to transport kayak and gear  (Read 558 times)

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Ok, I swapped my Subaru Forester for a new to me F150. It’s got a short bed and crew cab.

I’m looking at tonneau covers, and rack systems that can coexist.

I see racks with a range of load capacity from 300lbs to 800lbs. I would think 300 would be sufficient for transporting a single outback and occasionally two?

I see racks that require drilling, and those that can be clamped on. Anyone have an opinion of the pros or cons of each?

Anyone have a specific rack that’s the one I should buy because it’s just so damn awesome?

I’m seeing bed covers with a pretty wide range of costs and materials. I just want a waterproof and theft proof cover. Feeing like there are too many choices, and hoping that someone here has experience and an opinion to share.

Should I be considering other transport options that may be better than a rack?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 07:33:35 PM by Sea-bree »
With gratitude and humility

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I would recommend you look a the Diamondback sectional covers.  You can mount rack risers directly to them via a track system.  Many people that Overland camp with roof top tents use them.  They can easily accept the weight of a kayak and provide safety and protection from the elements you are looking for.
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
I have F250, Diamond Back light duty sectional covers mentioned above, which I really like.  I just went with the Thule roof racks for the yaks, I've had the PA14 along with the Lynx up there, I've thought about adding a temporary or permanent 3rd support off the diamond back, but have held off mainly for cost reasons.

I have devised a low cost temporary 3 rack, which is an adjustable steel  sawhorse with like 1600# capacity ($50 for two), I strap one down to the cleats on the diamond back, and use it to help get the pig (PA14) on and off the roof.

When I'm not pulling the trailer, I typically just load the yak in the bed of the truck either with or w/o the Malone bed extender/roof extender ($150 from eTrailer).  250 has a longer bed, so don't really need it, though make loading easier.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Nice!  What year did you get?  I have an '18 F150 crew cab short bed, and love it!

My fishing kayak is 11', so I can fit it in the bed without a hitch extender, gate down, and a flag on the back.  Our tandems, both 13', need a bed extender, like bbt mentioned.  I have the cheap HF one, and for $60 it works well, but it also is a right angle instead of a curve, so with deep dips or steep driveways it scrapes. 

I also have DIY unistrut bed rails, with a Yakima roof box for dry lockable storage (basically just fishing gear, haha). 

2016+ F150s have aluminum bed panels, so anything you mount to it needs to be reinforced from the back.  Not really a big deal, but definitely something to be aware of. 

The short bed is really short to mount a kayak above the bed for transport, unless you are going over the cab too.  I tried to put my kayak on the bed rails I installed, but the whole back half of the kayak was hanging off the rails - would need a support further back for sure.

I do have a cheapo clamp on ladder rack that I use if camping and need to carry kayaks plus a bunch of gear in the bed.  I got it from Etrailer for like $150 or so, and it works really well for the purpose.  The only drawback is that is is so high that getting heavy kayaks up there is tricky, especially if solo.

As to rack/cover combos, Adarack is the one that a lot of F150 guys go with. 

Good luck!  These trucks are super capable, and I really love mine!
- Kevin

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Thanks for the pointers and recommendations fellas. Looking into these products and appreciative of the time saved.

I picked up a 2016, would not have thought about the aluminum bed and backing plates for anything mounted that's going to bear weight...pretty valuable tidbit!
With gratitude and humility

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Thanks for the pointers and recommendations fellas. Looking into these products and appreciative of the time saved.

I picked up a 2016, would not have thought about the aluminum bed and backing plates for anything mounted that's going to bear weight...pretty valuable tidbit!

For sure, happy to help!
The aluminum bed/body has not been a problem at all for doing truck things.  I actually haven't mounted anything aftermarket in the bed yet, but plan to put some L track in a few places for easier cargo management. 

I've been back and forth about putting a cover/tonneau on the bed, but I tend to carry random tall things somewhat frequently, and I like my cargo box setup now.

- Kevin

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
I like my bed extender for hauling the yak!
So easy to load and unload, plus never have to lug that heavy yak up on top of a bed rack!
That’s just me though , I like it easy!
Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I was in the same boat not too long ago. I didn't want to go the camper shell route. I opted for the Yakima Overhaul and RetraxPro XR combo everything bolted on. I chose the Yakima since I've always been a yakima guy and for its aesthetic.  It is adjustable and I set it at the lowest possible setting. NO saddles/Jracks, just padded crossbars with my kayaks loaded upright. Wt capacity is 300/500/800 (offroad/onroad/static). I only load kayaks on there so it works for me. The RetraxPro XR was per recommendation by a friend. It's lockable, but not 100% theft proof and not 100% waterproof cover either. Strong enough that I am able to walk all over the tonneau cover with caution (I am 180# give/take). One con is you will lose about a foot off your bed as it rolls in itself. This setup is not cheap either if cost is an issue. Got mine when they were on sale and they were much cheaper two years ago. Some vendors give out discounts if you are a part of a certain truck forums. Definitely do your homework for what will work best for your situation, good luck.

anything