Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:39:24 PM]

[Today at 10:33:58 PM]

[Today at 09:45:12 PM]

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best face shield for sun protection?  (Read 2018 times)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I hate using sunscreen, so I've been trying to keep my face covered when I'm on the water. I have a face shield I got from SA company a few years ago, but it squishes my nose in an uncomfortable way, and my sunglasses get fogged up because exhaled air tends to escape from the top of the shield.

What are the best options out there?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Crab Kooker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I hear you on the sunscreen. I've been using one of these guys for the last 4 or 5 years and have really enjoyed it. https://www.phunkshunwear.com/shop/ballerclavas/convertible/ The fogging glasses can still be an issue though. I've found rinsing my sunnies in some soapy water before I head out for the day helps minimize that though.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Simms has a ergo fitting face shield that vents decently (not 100% fog proof though).  Huk has a good one also.  They were kinda hard to find locally when I was looking for one, everybody bought em up at the local tackle shop and they said it’s been tough trying to get more.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I hate sunscreen too, but I find this type to be tolerable, and it's extremely effective.

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/broad-spectrum-spf-50-mineral-sunscreen-stick
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I on the river almost everyday and hate Sunscreen but I use this one not greasy just don't inhale while applying or do and you don't need a beer. Alcohol  based  COVID approved  :smt012    https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/bufrlaspwibr.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=bufrlaspwibr&gclid=CjwKCAjw8pH3BRAXEiwA1pvMsclK1KBSbJmDC8pM6x6X9W0X7IWmE79Molbmr5FUSkU5g4hGmJk4URoCAqkQAvD_BwE
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Simms has a ergo fitting face shield that vents decently (not 100% fog proof though).  Huk has a good one also.  They were kinda hard to find locally when I was looking for one, everybody bought em up at the local tackle shop and they said it’s been tough trying to get more.

+1 on both Simms and Huk. They're breathable and not too restrictive. Made from Polyester and Spandex so they're more stretchy. Kinda pricey though. Got them on sale at Outdoor Pro shop in Cotati a few years back.

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I use a Buff brand shield and it works great
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Alan Matsuno

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I have an AFTCO, it is not a shield, but a covering.  I have been using it as a Covid face covering.

edit:  I have an AFTCO tube type face covering and an AFTCO “hoodie” like thing with a face covering.  The hoodie thing was great in hot weather.  Both have spf ratings, FWIW, I have Hanes Cool Dri long sleeve spf shirts I recommend.  I also wear gloves, blue fever or something similar.

Re sunscreen:  I recommend Neutrogena sport face.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:58:57 PM by Alan Matsuno »

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Hey Krishna, do a keyword search for "neck gaiter" at Westmarine.  You will see some with a mesh and very breathable.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

+1 on both Simms and Huk. They're breathable and not too restrictive. Made from Polyester and Spandex so they're more stretchy. Kinda pricey though. Got them on sale at Outdoor Pro shop in Cotati a few years back.
I have Simms & AFTCO. Simms has the nose arch that you’re looking for, but AFTCO is stretchy too.
But I’ve seen O2b cut his to make some vents. I don’t know how that worked out but if you don’t care about your SA mask maybe give that to try?

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I bought a couple of these fishing pull overs on Amazon.  They work out well, and I like the versatility of the built in neck gaiter.  In the down position, it protects my neck from the sun.  When pulled up, the gaiter is vented and does not fog my glasses.  I also like the hood on those colder mornings or when I need an extra layer from the sun beating down on my head.  NRS also makes a similar product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T98L5RH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks, everyone!  :smt006 I bought a Simms SunGaiter, and it feels nicer than what I was using.

I also found a stick of the Trader Joe's mineral sunscreen, and will try that out.

Hey Krishna, do a keyword search for "neck gaiter" at Westmarine.  You will see some with a mesh and very breathable.

Thanks Mel-- I see their list here: https://www.westmarine.com/neck-gaiters-sleeves . Is there a particular one of these brands that you like?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I own a bunch of Columbia neck gaiters that arent listed there.  This actually helps:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/how-to-de-fog-glasses-wearing-mask-wellness-trnd/index.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:47:30 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

anything