Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:45:37 PM]

[Today at 04:34:12 PM]

[Today at 04:18:51 PM]

[Today at 04:12:33 PM]

[Today at 03:10:47 PM]

[Today at 02:05:51 PM]

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ICAST 2018...Year of the Barge,  (Read 2466 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I predict Hobie will introduce a rotary prop rather than flipper drive model soon. SO much more efficient and functional.
Is that true?  I was under the impression the mirage was more efficient.  The dealer told me it was 5 to 1 more efficient.  Of course he wanted my money so take it with a grain of salt.  The one upside I see for the Hobie though is when you stop peddling the mirage will cut through water with less resistance than a stopped prop.  At least I think so.  Right?
I don't think that 5:1 is anywhere near true.  Hobie fins have more torque, but that does not equate to actual through the water efficiency per the amount of energy you are putting out through your legs.  Kayak hull design is first and foremost in helping efficiency.  Plenty of guys have switched to prop drives and they love them for just about everything except being in really weedy areas.  Plus for my knees, pedaling in a circular motion is better than the hobie motion.  But everyone is different, so the only way to know for yourself is to try them. 

Tinker

For what kind of water did you think the CT Vantage seat was designed?  For West Coast ocean fishing?  Ha!

For whatever reason, the manufacturers have written us off.  Criminy!  When Wally Word kayaks like Sun Dolphin start making fat pedal-drive kayaks it's one of the Seven Signs.   :smt003

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
My venture into the Hobie we world was a failure for me . But it was my doing not the boats .

When I originally demoed the used Revo 13 I wasn't excited about its weight but with a Rhino lift system manageable and with the loss of some strength on my right using the drive had me fired up and was doable since paddling wasn't as efficient as I liked

My injury is L4-L5-S1 and has affected my right side .

The problem came after use my lower back and right side would get aggravated  over time and took longer to settle each trip, So I would constantly adjust seat height , peddle distance  to no avail .

It would be OK but as my lower back would get aggravated lifting it when not using the lift wasn't fun .

I got so frustrated I sold off damn near all my kayak gear .... Over time obviously I'm going at it with the Eddyline at 50# I have to paddle again and be realistic and diligent about when , where , who  and conditions I can.handle

That all said it's kind of my dream that  a manufacturer  come up with a lite rig with a different pedal motion than Hobie ala Nativr or Old Town and or Wildy and by lite I'm talking  55# max

But that doesn't seem to happening and honestly I missed paddling I felt I was sort of cheating
can always have a custom kayak made for ur self all it involves is a kayak sacrifice to make a  mold.  I’ve always wanted to make a carbon fiber kayak. And fill it partially with expanding foam to an extent that it’s not too heavy... foam does weigh a little.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
My venture into the Hobie we world was a failure for me . But it was my doing not the boats .

When I originally demoed the used Revo 13 I wasn't excited about its weight but with a Rhino lift system manageable and with the loss of some strength on my right using the drive had me fired up and was doable since paddling wasn't as efficient as I liked

My injury is L4-L5-S1 and has affected my right side .

The problem came after use my lower back and right side would get aggravated  over time and took longer to settle each trip, So I would constantly adjust seat height , peddle distance  to no avail .

It would be OK but as my lower back would get aggravated lifting it when not using the lift wasn't fun .

I got so frustrated I sold off damn near all my kayak gear .... Over time obviously I'm going at it with the Eddyline at 50# I have to paddle again and be realistic and diligent about when , where , who  and conditions I can.handle

That all said it's kind of my dream that  a manufacturer  come up with a lite rig with a different pedal motion than Hobie ala Nativr or Old Town and or Wildy and by lite I'm talking  55# max

But that doesn't seem to happening and honestly I missed paddling I felt I was sort of cheating

Native and Hurricane have pretty light ones.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I predict Hobie will introduce a rotary prop rather than flipper drive model soon. SO much more efficient and functional.
Is that true?  I was under the impression the mirage was more efficient.  The dealer told me it was 5 to 1 more efficient.  Of course he wanted my money so take it with a grain of salt.  The one upside I see for the Hobie though is when you stop peddling the mirage will cut through water with less resistance than a stopped prop.  At least I think so.  Right?
I don't think that 5:1 is anywhere near true.  Hobie fins have more torque, but that does not equate to actual through the water efficiency per the amount of energy you are putting out through your legs.  Kayak hull design is first and foremost in helping efficiency.  Plenty of guys have switched to prop drives and they love them for just about everything except being in really weedy areas.  Plus for my knees, pedaling in a circular motion is better than the hobie motion.  But everyone is different, so the only way to know for yourself is to try them.

and all of us in the area probably know the shop that fed you the line on the Hobie...  Unfortunately, there are some shops out there that don't care as much for the customer as they do in extracting as much out of your pocket as they can...  :smt011 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
62lbs is the lightest we have. Definitely a nice option weight wise on the Slayer Propel 10 and the Slayer 12 LT Propel but getting below 60 will be a struggle that's for sure.  I mean very few paddle only kayaks get below 60lbs as it is.

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
62lbs is the lightest we have. Definitely a nice option weight wise on the Slayer Propel 10 and the Slayer 12 LT Propel but getting below 60 will be a struggle that's for sure.  I mean very few paddle only kayaks get below 60lbs as it is.

Any chance they would make an LT version of the manta ray propel? I think it’s sexiest kayak Hull wise

SeaScum

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
The only solution is to have multiple boats!

I think a Hobie Outback/Revo for salt and a Native Titan 10.5 or 12 for freshwater/bass would be perfect. I just gotta win the lottery...

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The problem is the weight of anything rotomold. When we spend how many thousands of dollars for a rotomolded Pro angler? Some tell me why a PA could not be made of carbon fiber? That would chop about 1/4-1/3 of the kayaks weight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Some tell me why a PA could not be made of carbon fiber?

It can.......but no ones gonna buy a $12,000 peddle driven kayak. 

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
The problem is the weight of anything rotomold. When we spend how many thousands of dollars for a rotomolded Pro angler? Some tell me why a PA could not be made of carbon fiber? That would chop about 1/4-1/3 of the kayaks weight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Hurricane/Native LT is thermoformed. It could be lighter, but Hurricane did not believe that the thermoform construction would be strong enough to hold up to the strain of the pedal drive system, so they created a drop in thermoformed pod to help strengthen the whole system.  Overall the kayak is excellent, although it does have its minor faults.  I do have one that people are able to try out.  However after rigging and all that it only ends up being about a 10lb savings over something like the Manta Ray Propel, which is the other one I have and about 72lbs.

Any chance they would make an LT version of the manta ray propel? I think it’s sexiest kayak Hull wise
I highly doubt it but would wish for something more like the Slayer 13 with a bit sharper bow entry.  The 13 is great but at 85lbs is a bit too heavy for me to deal with.  At this time and the cost of developing a mold I don't think they'll be doing it.  People overall don't seem to mind the weight of these pedal drives and the lighter stuff isn't a big seller right now. If we could prove that they would be able to sell them yeah, but the sales are totally opposite that and they gotta make money.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Some tell me why a PA could not be made of carbon fiber?

It can.......but no ones gonna buy a $12,000 peddle driven kayak. 

There in lies the problem, why would it cost $12,000. If Stealth can make a boat for the US at say $2600, Eddyline is nowhere near that price, and still a lot less weight that the porkers coming out nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

anything