Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:14:58 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Yellow Jacket Jackson Cuda  (Read 5441 times)

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Congrats Marcos! I couldnt think of a better pro rep for them.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Sweet ride indeed!
I'll be looking for the salty review. I'm starting to look for a new boat and this one caught my eye along with the Abaco. I have a Vector 13 now and I really like it, cuts through chop nicely and real easy to paddle up to speed. But, I'm really leaning toward a boat with good speed plus store my rods and lose gear in before my yard sale landing on the beach. Mike

Salty review - hmmmmm - my names WipEouT for a reason.  A year of a dozen or so surf launches/landings equals at least a half dozen flips either coming or going (granted, I'm still a rookie and learning).  I had the pleasure of demo'ing a Cuda at Ft Ross and the launch/landing was seemless.  As a mater fo fact, on the way in I rode a wave and was in a moment of confusion as the boat stopped on the beach as the wave recessed.  Reminded me of a low rider defalting its bags and sitting on the ground.  The hull is flat, so you sit upright when beached without tilting.  On the water - another huge improvement over my OK 13 in the stability department.  The boat is slightly longer and heavier, but tracks well and is an easy paddle.  Granted, its not as fast as the OK, but after taking a dump a while back at Bodega Bay stabilty rose higher on my priority list.  The seat - goes without saying - much more comfortable.  These are stand on kayaks so the height of the seat (2-3" off the deck) is just as stable as sitting on the boat itself - and since you are off the deck, no more wet butt.  I haven't tried the seat in the high position, but given the design forsee no concern on fresh water - perhaps a little high for salt - we'll see.  The seat also keeps your knees in a bent position vs. straight out.  Probably the last point to share is how dry this boat is.  In my OK, water comes up in the front scuppers and remains.  In the Cuda, water may splash up in the scuppers but drains right out.  In the 5hrs on the water, there was never standing water on the deck.

All that said, picked up my own yellow jacket a couple days ago.  Can't wait to hit the water.
Kenny

MANBEARPIG

• Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig: Im super cereal!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Nice yak Marcos!can you use the seat like a camp chair? Looks like a lightning bolt,  pretty swweet :smt003
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sweet ride indeed!
I'll be looking for the salty review. I'm starting to look for a new boat and this one caught my eye along with the Abaco. I have a Vector 13 now and I really like it, cuts through chop nicely and real easy to paddle up to speed. But, I'm really leaning toward a boat with good speed plus store my rods and lose gear in before my yard sale landing on the beach. Mike

Salty review - hmmmmm - my names WipEouT for a reason.  A year of a dozen or so surf launches/landings equals at least a half dozen flips either coming or going (granted, I'm still a rookie and learning).  I had the pleasure of demo'ing a Cuda at Ft Ross and the launch/landing was seemless.  As a mater fo fact, on the way in I rode a wave and was in a moment of confusion as the boat stopped on the beach as the wave recessed.  Reminded me of a low rider defalting its bags and sitting on the ground.  The hull is flat, so you sit upright when beached without tilting.  On the water - another huge improvement over my OK 13 in the stability department.  The boat is slightly longer and heavier, but tracks well and is an easy paddle.  Granted, its not as fast as the OK, but after taking a dump a while back at Bodega Bay stabilty rose higher on my priority list.  The seat - goes without saying - much more comfortable.  These are stand on kayaks so the height of the seat (2-3" off the deck) is just as stable as sitting on the boat itself - and since you are off the deck, no more wet butt.  I haven't tried the seat in the high position, but given the design forsee no concern on fresh water - perhaps a little high for salt - we'll see.  The seat also keeps your knees in a bent position vs. straight out.  Probably the last point to share is how dry this boat is.  In my OK, water comes up in the front scuppers and remains.  In the Cuda, water may splash up in the scuppers but drains right out.  In the 5hrs on the water, there was never standing water on the deck.

All that said, picked up my own yellow jacket a couple days ago.  Can't wait to hit the water.

Great review Wipeout! I'm stoked you love your new Kayak. Sorry I missed you when you came by the shop.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Thanks Dan!  After trying the demo; I was sold.  Went from being very restless OTW (after my mishap) to relaxed from launch the landing in the Cuda.  Looking forward to my next outing!
Kenny

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Nice yak Marcos!can you use the seat like a camp chair? Looks like a lightning bolt,  pretty swweet :smt003
I'm telling you, his is a badass chair.  Its prefect for camp/beach. If only it had a drink holder :smt044
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:35:07 PM by Rockroach »
~MarcosM~

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Agreed the seat is bad a$$ I'm sittin in mine on the garage floor havin a beer right now.it sits just low enough the annoying guy across the street can't see me over the car in the drive way😄

anything