Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:08:36 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: why you chose Jackson  (Read 10566 times)

wvhzd1

asking owners  of all brands the same question : why you chose the Jackson kayak you did.... i`m demoing other makes and models as well  at events like Crab Fest etc,etc...Thanks

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I just purchased the Jackson Cuda 12. Very versatile for fishing lakes and offshore. Check out the features on their website. Love it!  :smt002
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
the features of the kayak and the ethics of the company were two big reasons for me going with a Jackson. Personally I never felt 100% comfortable on a hobie and couldn't get used to not having a paddle in my hands. The storage and lay out of the cuda is great for my style of fishing and sense of comfort. Ive paddled the cuda in some pretty big water and covered long distances and its always been up to the challenge and never once made me question my decision. The question is really for you to answer, what feels right to me? Will this kayak do what I need it to do? Am I a pack rat or a minimalist, how will this kayak facilitate my style? the best adviced is demo demo demo. Im up in Redding and might be too far for you to go but if your interested I'll grab a few demo kayaks of different brands / models and take you fishing for the day to see what fits you. We have Hobies, Jacksons, Eddylines, ect. The fishing on shasta is good right now for bass and trout, what do you say?

bassn916

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Sounds like a great offer. I would take it. :)

I was dead set on buying an OC due to its reputation and for the fact that they've been around for a while. However I decided to go with a JK because all the reviews were excellent and there's was a lot of videos out there boasting about its capabilities. I'm not one who likes to go fast but for me the idea that it's possible to stand was a big selling point. I like to fish so I wanted something that is stable. Also since I'll be with my son I wanted it to be safe with tipping possibilities minimized. A hobie would be nice but it's well outside my price range. Okay I know I'm new to kayaks but thought I would share my thoughts any way :)

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Comfort, versatility, and stability were the biggest selling points for the Cuda 12 I have. I wouldn't say its the best at any one thing but its done a good variety of fishing really well. I also really like the layout of the kayak and the seat was the best I've tried.

Demo as many kayaks as you can. Many of the people on here are more than willing to let you try out different makes and models.
Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I chose a  Jackson  cuda 14  because I wanted a comfortable boat with a solid deck layout  that could be fished out of in a wide variety of waters. The boat has met my expectations and served me well in my  pursuit  of Angler Of The Year.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Why don't you tell us, who you are asking to defend and extrapolate on a certain brand, just what you are looking for in a fishing kayak. How old are you? How much do you weigh? How tall are you? What kind of fishing do you see yourself mostly doing? Are you going to be in saltwater or fresh water more? Do you want to paddle or peddle? Do you fly fish? Do you need to be able to stand in the kayak?Will you be traveling down river systems? Do you have any injuries that would restrict your movement or abilities? These are the questions we need to point you in the right direction. As there are many various types of watercraft made by each company. To ask a general question such as you are doesn't really get you into the boat you want for your needs.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

JB BigRig

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
I too looked at many different brands and types of fishing kayaks. I am a big guy and when I saw the Jackson BIG RIG I knew it was the kayak for me. I really like all of the features and quality of the boat. Plus Dan at Headswaters Kayak Shop sold me on Jackson with there great customer service.
Big Rig in the House

Bio-Bil1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I own 3 Jackson's. I paddle a Coosa for river fishing, a Kilroy for lakes and the delta, and a big tuna for the ocean and when I want to take my family out. The original selling point for me was the seat. I dare you to find a more comfortable seat than the elite seat.
Each of my boats offers something unique. The hull design of the Coosa is awesome for handling any type of rough water. I have even surfed mine at the beach. The Kilroy has great tracking and is fast as well as stealthy. With no suppers, the boat glides silently through the water. It also has a snag free deck layout for fly fishing. The Big Tuna has tons of deck space. I also like having the tuna tank. I use it for storing crabs or fish. It does a great job of keeping my catch contained without causing the extra drag of hanging fish over the side of the yak.
Member Headwaters Kayak Shop Fishing Team http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Two words comfort and stability

raymond22

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
i went with the jackson cuda for a few reasons. number 1 the seat, after using my oc for a year or so i knew i was done with it. don't get me wrong it was a great kayak for the price, but after sitting in it for a couple hours your legs start to fall asleep and getting out of it at the end of fishing SUCKS  :smt012 haha. next of coarse is the features. just about everything you need is in arms length of you. theres no need for a milk crate really and no real need to get in the center hatch, and you have the option to put a trey in the hatch so anything you might need to store to stay dry is easy to get out. all in all its a great kayak and i personally love it. but thats just my 2 cents hope it helps!

TCAT

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I picked up my Cuda 14 from Headwaters after reading as many reviews and gathering as much information that I could. I was looking for a kayak that had a great deal of versatility.  Comfort, stability, decent speed,  and a great layout to work from.  I test drove one before I pulled the trigger, and I am extremely happy with my choice.
TC

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
My answer to your question is, because everyone else is buying one. They are decent kayaks, but they have less stability than my 28" wide Tarpon. Secondary stability is lacking in the Cuda's. I'm not bashing, just repeating what I have heard from a few Jackson riders. Tridents, Prowlers, and Tarpons  are far more stable in the ocean overall. They are also like paddling a turd upstream compared to the other boats I just mentioned. Jackson's perform ok in the ocean, but when it gets fairly choppy someone I fish with quite a bit always wants to head in when I still 100% comfortable. Must be the higher center of gravity, even in the low position. Just my opinion, and what I have heard over the last couple years from all around the country.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:07:39 PM by RacinRob »
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

fishforit

• Salmon
  • Life"s short! Go for it!
  • View Profile Freelance Writer/Retired/Tutor
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Jackson has a great line of fishing kayaks on the market and are always coming up with different designs and features as well as improving on what they have on the market today. So many and what to do? I fish a Cuda 14 at this time but I may scale down slightly to the Cuda 12-not much difference in performance. I do like the new Cuda 12/14 with the new deck features and for us older guys lumber seat.
I'm hitting the water tomorrow and will be contemplating my next move.
Headwaters Adventure Co.
Hobie Fishing Team
Hobie Outback

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My answer to your question is, because everyone else is buying one. They are decent kayaks, but they have less stability than my 28" wide Tarpon. Secondary stability is lacking in the Cuda's. I'm not bashing, just repeating what I have heard from a few Jackson riders. Tridents, Prowlers, and Tarpons  are far more stable in the ocean overall. They are also like paddling a turd upstream compared to the other boats I just mentioned. Jackson's perform ok in the ocean, but when it gets fairly choppy someone I fish with quite a bit always wants to head in when I still 100% comfortable. Must be the higher center of gravity, even in the low position. Just my opinion, and what I have heard over the last couple years from all around the country.

I don't believe mine eyes....   I'm proud of you Rob,,, such a bold statement.       It's just,,, well that's the past. LOL
  The first sentence sure hits the nail on the head.   Something I too have been watching closely.   Seems they've had  a huge recruitment campaign going for a while now to join the Jackson Kayak Fishing team...   :smt004                  What I don't get,,, why?    Who are the past supporters of / for  NCKA events.  Donations to PIF, Albion, etc...?  Don't remember seeing Jackson name at any before,,, except for GS7  when the big push started to recruit " join the team ...  and take 10% off your purchase".

However,,, you missed one point,  There,,, I fixed it for ya... :smt003     "Tridents, Prowlers, and Tarpons   and Raptors,  are far more stable in the ocean overall."

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

anything