Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best first trip ideas?  (Read 1897 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Lake prohibits swimming, i dont know how well they police lexington but ive been told by rangers at other santa clara county lakes that they're no contact and they'll fine you for intentionally going in.  And appatently water skiiers dont count lol. 

What exactly would be the issue in practicing there in front of the kayak launch?

Yes, swimming is prohibited at Lexington. I have seen the "no contact" rules at east bay lakes, but not at any Santa Clara County lakes---you'd have to convince me of that. As far as intentionally getting in the water, you have to wade in to launch (the ramp is invariably on dry land), so can't believe that's an issue either.

Anyways, I 'spose no problem practicing self-rescue at the harbor. I just wouldn't wear anything that you don't want coated with petroleum products...

Just reporting my experience at Anderson res on two separate occasions, once being yelled at to gtfo the water and another inquiry while on a boat talking, to a ranger (he was cool).  Iirc the first one cited it being a drinking water source so no contact, was not  interested in discussing the differrence between someone swimming and someone falling down on a wakeboard.  I suppose they'd be the ones that'd have to convince you :)

I've almost stopped going to the local lakes for anything except bank fishing and occasional yak trips.  The 15 y.o. kook at the inspection station telling me he wouldnt honor my mussel inspection tie cause it was attached to a handle that could be unscrewed just about did it for me.  Between the state and their no fish plant rules and the local gov. imposing so many rules and restrictions its just gotten out of hand. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Lake prohibits swimming, i dont know how well they police lexington but ive been told by rangers at other santa clara county lakes that they're no contact and they'll fine you for intentionally going in.  And appatently water skiiers dont count lol. 

What exactly would be the issue in practicing there in front of the kayak launch?

Yes, swimming is prohibited at Lexington. I have seen the "no contact" rules at east bay lakes, but not at any Santa Clara County lakes---you'd have to convince me of that. As far as intentionally getting in the water, you have to wade in to launch (the ramp is invariably on dry land), so can't believe that's an issue either.

Anyways, I 'spose no problem practicing self-rescue at the harbor. I just wouldn't wear anything that you don't want coated with petroleum products...

Just reporting my experience at Anderson res on two separate occasions, once being yelled at to gtfo the water and another inquiry while on a boat talking, to a ranger (he was cool).  Iirc the first one cited it being a drinking water source so no contact, was not  interested in discussing the differrence between someone swimming and someone falling down on a wakeboard.  I suppose they'd be the ones that'd have to convince you :)

I've almost stopped going to the local lakes for anything except bank fishing and occasional yak trips.  The 15 y.o. kook at the inspection station telling me he wouldnt honor my mussel inspection tie cause it was attached to a handle that could be unscrewed just about did it for me.  Between the state and their no fish plant rules and the local gov. imposing so many rules and restrictions its just gotten out of hand.
Sounds like you guys need to get a yak that levitates just above the water to yak fish lakes down there! He’ll up here the pb idiots back there still wet boats into the lake after bay fishing and flush them into the fresh water lakes, I watched one Jackass pull his drain plug and start pumping water in because he spilled oil when mixing his two cycle gas on the deck.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Took out the new kayak yesterday.  I am so stoked on it.  It is super fun.  I went with my buddy who got a new one at the same time (basically) so it was maiden voyages for both of us.

We decided to go to breakwater cove in Monterey.  Our wives and children met us there and rented some kayaks we all tooled around in the harbor for a bit before my buddy and I left them to go do some fishing.

Before the families got there, we practiced self rescue several times, flipping the kayak, etc.  Was a bit easier than I thought it would be, granted we were in the protection of the harbor when we were doing it,  but my fat ass could still heave myself back in my kayak within a reasonable amount of time.  I will need to practice that some more every once in a while.

I am still getting used to reading the swell charts.  Forecast said 4 feet at 11 seconds and called it choppy.  Seemed ok,  so we went out and fished a bit.

I caught 4 rockfish.  released them.  We spent the bulk of the day on the water.  about 6 or 7 hours.  It was a blast. 

My kayak took on a little bit of water over that time period.  I am guessing most, if not all was during my self rescue practice and flipping the boat on purpose.

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Here is a short clip of it cruising along for those who are interested in how it "rides"

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Cool Dude!

Thanks for the Report and Vid
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Way to go on the self rescue and maiden voyage!!!

Also glad you decided to keep the name  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Nice! My first trip was at Van Damme (Mendocino) on a really nice day, like 3-4 ft at 12 seconds... that kind of water gets you hooked, so to speak. VD is really well protected, so super-easy beach launching.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

PandaMan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Way to practice that self rescue. I have had the yak for over a year and still haven’t tried it.

:|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk