Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: CA Kayaker run over by boat and killed  (Read 2713 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Terrible news. But worth sharing. And its a reminder that if someone runs you over due to their own stupidity, they will not be cited/charged with a crime. So, it’s probably best to stay alert and get the F outta the way of stupid people on big boats.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Kayaker-Killed-Marina-del-Rey-Identified-Power-Boat-Crash-492549471.html
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

yatzmail@yahoo.com

dang and there’s only going to be more and more as the number of kayakers climb.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hit and run and not charged, really says a lot about this.

Can we form a protest like "Kayaker Lives matter?"
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I have launched my AI out of there once during lobster season. Boaters run out like a mad man. 5mph rule in this harbor does not apply.

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Horrible news. Thank you for sharing.  I am not familiar enough with maritime law and boating regulations, but it just doesn't seem right that there is no crime/citation for killing someone, unless the person who was killed was behaving in a negligent manner. 

Regardless, it is another reminder that we all have to keep our heads on a swivel and stay as safe as possible. 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
F” That BS..... that’s negligence.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Guess if I’m in my golden years and not speeding I can randomly run over California bicyclists with my full size truck or RV and not stop without another car pointing it out? Then NOT get in trouble?!?! Sound about even to anyone else?

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Bullsh** if he ran over a seal there would be hell to pay :smt013
He should be held accountable for not being aware of his surroundings. 
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Isn't it up to the driver of a vehicle to sure he is driving safely?  I don't understand this. 
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Bullsh** if he ran over a seal there would be hell to pay :smt013
He should be held accountable for not being aware of his surroundings.
I read it’s still under investigation. Also just because they are not prosecuted doesn’t mean there won’t be hell to pay. Negligence does not always rise to criminal liability. With that said I will be interested to hear what the final outcome is. I was once standing across the street when a 17 year old girl squatted down in the middle of the street with her back to traffic at 3 in the morning. An old guy in a van ran her over and killed her and he was prosecuted. I’d give the guy driving in the dark at 3:00 am more slack than a boater in broad daylight.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
   I think it's fairly common for the authorities to wait for the results of an investigation before deciding whether to charge someone with a crime after a collision - whether on land or sea.   The article didn't give any information about the incident other than the location, "near the south jetty",and that the people aboard the large vessel said they did not know the vessels had collided. 
   Just because one vessel was much larger than the other doesn't mean it was at fault, even though most of us have seen a lot of stupid "full-steam-ahead" behavior from power boaters.  But if you watch what goes on at the Santa Cruz harbor on a sunny weekend afternoon, you know that power boaters don't have a monopoly on ignorance and stupidity.
    I spent a few days a year ago sailing a small boat with my pre-teen grandson at "The MAC",  UCLA's nice watercraft facility ( built for the 1984 Olympics) in the Marina Del Rey basin inside the jetties.  We never got real close to the jetties, but there were traffic lanes marked by buoys set up inside the channel that is hundreds of yards wide, and it was quite intimidating to see massive power boats as they crossed our course heading for berths on the other side of the channel from where they had entered.   Toward the end of the afternoon, there was a regular parade of vessels returning to the harbor and lots of kayaks, small sailboats, row boats, and SUPs scattered inside, a lot of them operated by novices.         

lopezcador

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Well, it a Matter of time in the worlds busiest Marina for Such a result. MDR  is a freeway of traffic PERIOD. YAKED IT A MILLION time when I lived down south. Like always keep your head on a swivel.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
   Just because one vessel was much larger than the other doesn't mean it was at fault, even though most of us have seen a lot of stupid "full-steam-ahead" behavior from power boaters. 

This is true, I know many kayakers seem to think all boaters are assholes and always wrong, but just some.   :smt005

Its hectic in some harbors, so we just gotta pay attention even if boaters aren't and understand that it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, if you're dead.  Simple as that.

If you ain't first, you're last.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I have fished on my boat out of Marina Del Ray a few times and the rental/recreational kayakers can be particular idiots. They sit in the middle of the exit/entrance channel and in the middle of the traffic lanes. I'm a small boat and can maneuver around them well but boats dont have brakes and when you have one cut in front of you last minute it can be dicey to get out of gear and in to reverse to stop forward momentum.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
How can you not notice that you hit a kayak? I don't care if it's a 8ft walmart special, you're going to notice it. If you don't you're either drunk or shouldn't be allowed to operate a boat.

Just this week, I was trolling the Napa river in a bright orange life jacket and had a boater going full speed, buzz pass me by 20ft. Nobody else on the water, and just south of the highway 29 crossing, so lots of room to safely pass. When I threw my arms up in a "wtf" manner before he passed me, the driver flipped me off and his buddy threw his hands up like if he was challenging me to a fight. Then they buzzed me an hour later both of them flipping me off and actually tried to wake me a bit. I'm bringing my .38 with me next week and if I see that fucker again I'm going to point the barrel right at him if he gets anywhere near me. Don't know why I'm sharing this here, I'm just sick and tired of being treated like a nuisance and that my life doesn't matter because I'm in a kayak.

anything