Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: .  (Read 1230 times)

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:39:51 PM by dtizz »

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You should also consider a 14 foot Livingston skiff. They are SUPER stable and seaworthy for their size.

Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Good luck!  Whalers are tough to come by.  I sold mine a couple of years ago and had multiple people interested in it.  Mine was a 17ft Nauset (later known as a Montauk).  I wouldn't want to go much smaller than that out in our open water.  The 13' and even 15' whalers are more like skiffs and used for flats or bay waters.  A decent 17' Used Montauk will probably run you about $10K.  I sold mine for $8500 with a 4 stroke Merc on it.  The guy got a steal.  Check out WhalerCentral.com if you haven't already.  It probably the best resource for anything regarding Whalers.

Good Luck!

Bret

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You should also consider a 14 foot Livingston skiff. They are SUPER stable and seaworthy for their size.

Whoa......I think I actually agree with Alex B on something  :smt107

I'd rather own a livie than a whaler in all sizes up to their 19'er.  Foot for foot they're beamier and a more comfortable ride.

Whaler central is a good resource but take it all with a grain of salt, most of those guys are super purists and wouldn't buy anything less than a time capsuled barn find.....and then they'd suggest that you low ball it.  A lot of the 16-18 foot whalers are in high demand in CA, they can fetch a premium but there's also a bunch of kooks out there wanting top dollar for a beat up hull with a 35 year old two stroke hanging on it. I'd advise taking your time and not get overly eager.  Good deals pop up fairly often, just be sure to have cash ready to go cause they do go quick. 

I was flirting with the idea of letting go of my whaler to buy a bass boat but haven't quite worked up the nerve to actually let it go. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Whoa......I think I actually agree with Alex B on something  :smt107

I'd rather own a livie than a whaler in all sizes up to their 19'er.  Foot for foot they're beamier and a more comfortable ride.

Whaler central is a good resource but take it all with a grain of salt, most of those guys are super purists and wouldn't buy anything less than a time capsuled barn find.....and then they'd suggest that you low ball it.  A lot of the 16-18 foot whalers are in high demand in CA, they can fetch a premium but there's also a bunch of kooks out there wanting top dollar for a beat up hull with a 35 year old two stroke hanging on it. I'd advise taking your time and not get overly eager.  Good deals pop up fairly often, just be sure to have cash ready to go cause they do go quick. 

I was flirting with the idea of letting go of my whaler to buy a bass boat but haven't quite worked up the nerve to actually let it go.
Haha! I'm sure we agree on a lot of things when it comes to fishing.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Which whaler do you have, Ex-Kayaker?

Some years back I almost bought a Reinell that was a nearly exact clone of a 17' Montauk. The owner had built a removable casting deck in the bow and installed a foot controlled trolling motor. It fished real nice the few times I took it out on the Delta.

If you can make your whaler work for bass fishing, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
This was a east coast boat. Troller, 17.5 ft  with a 115 2 stroke merc that skipped along the Monterey bay. 2 live wells in the back. Was a great near shore ocean boat. On a good day it was a breeze to take it out further. Was a open bow, so did take water in the front if I pushed it a little hard on rougher days. Really do miss that boat.  :smt010
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

scott1978

I fish and crab Tomales bay using my 14 ft Gregor.  It has a 15hp 4 stroke and works fine on nice days. If the weather is sketchy I just don't go out.  You can probably find a good deal on a similar boat on Craigslist. Good luck!