Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Question about the cable connection on Lowrance Ti 7  (Read 872 times)

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I'm trying to upgrade to a Lowrance Ti 7 with TotalScan. It's been a confusing journey. Anyhow, from page 27 of the installation guide, I see that one cable connects to the battery, but the other cable from the same plug connects to a "NMEA 0183 device".  My question is, do I need to buy a NMEA 0183 device in order to use the Ti 7 with gps? If not, does it mean I can ignore the NMEA 0183 cable?

I'm about to pull the tirgger on a Ti 7 TotalScan with Navionics+ for $799. Eligible for a $100 rebate that expires on 5/31/18. Is it a good deal? Seems everyone on the internet is selling at $799.

Thanks,
ernest

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I cut the nmea cable off and sealed it with goop.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I take it that means I don't need to buy a NMEA device and the gps is built in to the head unit.

Thanks Ken.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I take it that means I don't need to buy a NMEA device and the gps is built in to the head unit.

Thanks Ken.
that is correct. I just put a wire cap on mine.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
When the Lowrance Ti with totalscan came out, I remember that the totalscan can work with the older unit (Elite 5 Chirp) but you have to buy a converter cable or something. I have been searching for the part number but can't seem to confirm yet. The reason I ask is the Lowrance TI touch screen is awesome but when it gets wet it gets a little annoying!! In freshwater its great but out in the salt not so good. Hence why I would like to use my Elite 5 chirp headunit with the totalscan.

Anyone know :)

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for confirming Ben.

Crazy, if I come across the info I'll let you know. But trying to figure out which unit I should get has been a frustrating process. Why do they have to make things so complicated? Just too many models and so many options, making it impossible to pick one when you don't know what all the different options are until you spend days to study their whole product line.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Elite 7 TI is a fine unit. Not the best unit ever though.  I think the other guys are just as good, humminbird helix, garmins, raymarine. 

I bought my TI because I was able to get a really good deal on it, but I not everyone is able to do the things I do.  I still prefer my HDS 7 Gen 3 that I use on the boat over the TI. Much more responsive when f***ing with it and gives slightly better screen definition. 

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Thanks for confirming Ben.

Crazy, if I come across the info I'll let you know. But trying to figure out which unit I should get has been a frustrating process. Why do they have to make things so complicated? Just too many models and so many options, making it impossible to pick one when you don't know what all the different options are until you spend days to study their whole product line.

I got an email back from Lowrance that the Elite 5 series won't work with the total-scan transducer. The TI can use the older transducer however. Bummer.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I got an email back from Lowrance that the Elite 5 series won't work with the total-scan transducer. The TI can use the older transducer however. Bummer.
Yes. In my research, I found the Ti unit can use a cable adapter to make use of the older model transducer, but not the other way around.