Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lowrance HDS 7 Install on Native Slayer Propel  (Read 5906 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hi All,

Here's a pretty easy installation for a Lowrance transducer on my Slayer Propel.  This will also likely work for any smaller form factor transducer that has a mount that will be able to be bolted into a 1" PVC pipe.

Parts Needed to mount Transducer:
1" PVC pipe, cut to length
Native Super Seal Scupper plug - $15 for 2 (5 come standard with Slayer Propel)
Dremel or other PVC cutting tool (also for optional Step 2)
Transducer mounting bolt (included with HDS7)

That's it!

I recently installed my Raymarine Dragonfly onto my Slayer Propel. Some of the PVC mounting steps (Step 1) are more detailed in the previous post.

Anyways, I saw another Native Pro Staff/Fishing Team member do a similar install for a Lowrance so I decided to investigate.  I have always loved my HDS 7- It's perfect when you don't need downscan imaging.

The nice thing about the Lowrance transducer (non-HDI) is that it is small so it fits well into the scupper hole of the Slayer.  The problem is its small, so it doesn't hold in the scupper hole of the slayer really well.

-----------------------------------------
Step 1 - Mount transducer to 1" PVC pipe (See Dragonfly Install for more specific instructions if necessary).  For this install I chose the front scupper since its closest to the FF and the transducer will be protected in the scupper just fine since it's smaller than the Dragonfly.

Step 2 Optional- Cut out the top of the Native Super Scupper Plug, but leaving the little handle in.  Remember these plugs are huge and are made to fit Native boats, so they likely do not fit any other kayaks unless they also have huge scupper holes.  You could theoretically do the same thing with other types of scupper plugs that have tight seals, but you would also need lesser diameter pipe which might make your install a bit trickier. 
ALTERNATIVE - Don't cut the scupper plug at all and just let the wires route up the side of the PVC.  When you insert scupper plug, the wiring will be compressed a little by the plug.  I preferred routing it up the top since it is a little cleaner, but this is not required.

I also generally paddle with plugs out since we fish a lot of areas that get significant spray, so this allows water to drain out the scuppers if it comes over the top.
Step 3 - Route wires through the 1" PVC and up through, gently shove the transducer plug through as hard as you can. (Remember this step is not required if you choose to not cut the scupper plug head - you simply route the wires along the pvc then proceed to Step 4)

Step 4 - Push the PVC up into the scupper nice and snug.  It should fit tight and not need to be bolted or anything.  For this install, I chose the front scupper.
Step 5 - Plug in the scupper, go underneath the kayak and check transducer angle - You will note its a nice tight, snug fit and completely removable at the end of the day.
-------------- End of Transducer mount - Easy! --------------

Fishfinder Head Mounting - Probably my favorite thing about the Slayer is the integrated track.  Its literally everywhere on the boat, which allows you to mount accessories anywhere and keep the boat clean. 
Step 1 - Mount the fishfinder to a Ram Base:
To do the mount, I purchased a
RAM 1" Ball Quick Release Track Base
Product Number: RAP-B-383U

I like these track bases better than Screwball style balls because of security.  They are a bit trickier to place on the track since you need to kind of rotate them, but they won't loosen.  You turn the ball clockwise to tighten, but you can't loosen them without pressing down the two buttons, so they won't accidentally loosen when going counterclockwise.  I also use the same mount with 1.5" ball on my left track for my rodholders, as the internet says that many people have had problems with rod holders loosening on Screwballs when mounted on the left side on strike.
I also used a standard RAM arm and
Ram Mount RAM-B-111BU 6.25" x 2" Universal Electronics Base with 1" Ball
Part ID:RAM-B-111B

Put the assembly together and it looks like this:

Step 2 - Wiring and Power
Now as for power, I've recently made the switch to LifePo4 batteries and I like them. I went with a supplier on eBay for LifePo4 12AH x 12v batteries.  I wired them with Trailtech Plugs from Batteryspace - a huge improvement over my old two pin trailer connectors.  The 12ah battery I ordered fits perfectly into a fanny pack I found at WalMart.:

Step 3 - Mount the fishfinder and check wiring.  Everything looks good!

Summary - a nice, simple install for a Lowrance transducer on a Slayer Propel.  I sacrificed a Super Seal Scupper Plug (not cheap), but I felt it was worth the trade off rather than messing with the potential for putting too much pressure on the transducer wiring.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:34:37 AM by bmb 2.0 »

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
I need a battery set-up like that for mine. Thanks for the info.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice clean job!  Thanks for sharing Ben.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything