Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 09:03:55 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wetsuits and Winter  (Read 1903 times)

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
This is my first year with my kayak - a Hobie Quest 13.  I've been primarily on the Delta and a few lakes in the area and for the most part, other than dressing with appropriate external clothing (high performance outdoor wear), I've not considered a wet suit or dry suit.  The other day I launched on the Delta and the water temperature was 49F.  Per the various survival charts, that gives me about 30-60 min in the water max.  In the Delta by default I'm rarely more than 30-50 yds from a bank so I'm assuming with PFD I can reach the shore, but I was curious if you experienced kayakers don wet suits in the winter months. 

Thanks,

Sand
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
30 to 50 feet from shore . . . then where are you?  Assuming you manage to swim the distance, on land soaking wet, cold and most likely a ways from civilization.  A DRY SUIT is a no brainer. 

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
This is my first year with my kayak - a Hobie Quest 13.  I've been primarily on the Delta and a few lakes in the area and for the most part, other than dressing with appropriate external clothing (high performance outdoor wear), I've not considered a wet suit or dry suit.  The other day I launched on the Delta and the water temperature was 49F.  Per the various survival charts, that gives me about 30-60 min in the water max.  In the Delta by default I'm rarely more than 30-50 yds from a bank so I'm assuming with PFD I can reach the shore, but I was curious if you experienced kayakers don wet suits in the winter months. 

Thanks,

Sand

Survival doesn't mean you would be comfortable, or even OK.  49 degrees without any proper gear sounds like a nightmare.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I wear my wetsuit if I’m too far from shore to swim. Many times in the delta I’ve put an emergency bivy sack in my pocket in case I had to swim to shore in the middle of nowhere. I also have my spot satellite communicator so I can summon help.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Tinker

If you research cold water immersion, it's not always the length of time you're in the water; more often than not, it's the body's involuntary gasp reflex from the shock to your body when you enter the water (and are still underwater) that kills you.  Research suggests the maximum cold shock occurs in water between 50-55 degrees - water any colder does not increase the severity of the shock to your system.

Here's a great site to learn about cold water immersion: http://www.coldwatersafety.org/ColdShock.html

You need to dress for the water.  Always.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:37:18 AM by Tinker »

robohalll

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016

Holy Hyperventilation batman,  two very informative articles, thanks for the link. 
So if you practice dunking in cold water will the shock lessen,  will you get used to the cold and therefore increase your chance of survival ?
Prowler 13

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
In my opinion, you shouldn't be out in a kayak in 49 degree water unless you're wearing a drysuit. You can layer up as much or as little clothing under a drysuit as you need to improve your chances of surviving if you end up in the water for an extended period of time, and you will stay dry and comfortable when fishing.  In a drysuit with appropriate amounts of clothing, you can kayak in comfort even in cold, windy, rainy, and/or snowy weather.  Your clothing will stay completely dry, and you can drive home in the clothing you wore all day on the water. In the spring in Montana, I wear a drysuit when snorkeling and speargunning for pike in water in the low 50s, typically spending 4-6 hours in the water.

I think that wetsuits are uncomfortable, and don't like to use them even in mild weather and fairly warm water. 

The two kayak fishing pictures shown below are from Montana.  The whitewater kayak pictures are from a five-day 116-mile unsupported kayak trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho, during which we paddled through snow for the first day and a half.  I couldn't have done any of those trips in a wet suit.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:38:00 PM by pmmpete »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
In my opinion, you shouldn't be out in a kayak in 49 degree water unless you have a drysuit. ...

Great advice, as usual.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Definitely get a wetsuit or drysuit.

Everyone has their own preference...I personally prefer wetsuits over drysuits as I get too hot in drysuits.  I wear a 3/2 farmer john 90% of the time.  When it's extra chilly, I wear my 4/3 surfing wetsuit.  I surf year round in my 4/3 and spend hours in the water without issue.

I would not kayak in 49 degree water without a suit.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Tinker
You need to dress for the water.  Always.

Thanks for bringing your question, Sand.  The rule here is "dress for immersion" - like Tinker said - always.  Without proper immersion gear 49 degrees will take almost anyone out in way less than 30 to 60 minutes, IMO.

Disclaimer on drysuits:  it takes a high level of commitment to keep a drysuit free of leaks when you use them frequently for fishing offshore.  To state that your clothes will be dry at the end of a day in frozen temperatures is a dangerous proposition, IMO.

I like wetsuit under drysuit.  To each his own.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Disclaimer on drysuits:  it takes a high level of commitment to keep a drysuit free of leaks when you use them frequently for fishing offshore.  To state that your clothes will be dry at the end of a day in frozen temperatures is a dangerous proposition, IMO.
LoletaEric speaks the truth.  If you plop spiny fish into your lap after you catch them, they will make holes in your drysuit, and those holes can be difficult to find and seal.  To protect your drysuit, net fish, lip fish, and bonk fish next to your kayak, not on your lap or your legs, unless the presence of pinipeds or sharks makes that risky. Or bring a towel or something similar which you can lay over your lap to protect your drysuit.  Or fish for species which aren't spiney. 

And get a drysuit which is big enough to layer up plenty of insulating clothing underneath.  Don't go for a stylish slim-fitting look.  In the pictures shown below, the water temperature was in the mid 30's, and on top I was wearing light polypro, expedition polypro, and three sweaters. On bottom I was wearing expedition long underwear and two pairs of heavy pile pants.  I was comfortable while fishing, and confident that if I got dumped out of my kayak I could climb back in without getting cold.  The next weekend, the bay I launched from had frozen the previous night, and I had to bust through about 3/8 of a mile of thin ice to get to open water, and then had to avoid rafts of busted ice until it melted later in the morning.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:45:13 AM by pmmpete »

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Thanks for the great responses.  Got a wet suit. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I started with Farmer John wetsuit and eventually upgraded to a Kokatat angler drysuit.  I have never worn my FJ after. Why, because my body is dry and warm with the right amount of layering.  The Kokatat Hydrus and Goretex drysuits are very breathable.  I have owned both.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I wear farmer john year round, switch to dry suit between September and May. 

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels