Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:15:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

[Today at 07:22:48 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Best first trip ideas?  (Read 1911 times)

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I have been looking around a bit at where a good place might be for a first trip in a new kayak.  Goal would be to spend a few hours getting used to the boat,  practice a bit of self rescue and then, hopefully get a line wet. 

I was thinking it would be nice to hit a lake but looking around it seems that most lakes are either closed to boating, or have some sort of gnarly algae bloom happening right now. 

So, I was thinking perhaps Oneill Forebay, or Monterey area by cannery row (weather/swell permitting).  Or perhaps the SF bay,  launch over by redwood city?  Are those good or shitty ideas?  Anyone have any better ideas?

I do have a buddy who also got a new boat same time I did, so I will have the buddy system working.  I will also have all my safety gear,  pfd, radio, dressed for immersion, etc.

Any ideas for a good first place to get used to the new boat?

Code3

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
I would recommend hitting a lake or two before you head to the ocean, or even the bay.  When I first started, I put my kayak in a pool early on and practiced falling out and getting back in.  I also flipped the kayak over and practiced climbing on and then flipping it over, etc. 

Before my fellow fishing friends started kayak fishing, I took them to a small lake to get them situated, etc.  Didn't take long before everybody wanted to hit the ocean.  Then we had to deal w/ sea sickness and find the meds (or shock watch) that worked. 

Take your time and be safe!
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I would recommend hitting a lake or two before you head to the ocean, or even the bay.  When I first started, I put my kayak in a pool early on and practiced falling out and getting back in.  I also flipped the kayak over and practiced climbing on and then flipping it over, etc. 

Before my fellow fishing friends started kayak fishing, I took them to a small lake to get them situated, etc.  Didn't take long before everybody wanted to hit the ocean.  Then we had to deal w/ sea sickness and find the meds (or shock watch) that worked. 

Any ideas on which lake?  The ones I have looked at in Santa Clara county have all been closed to all boating, or have an algae bloom right now that I wouldnt want to practice self rescue in. 

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Any ideas on which lake?  The ones I have looked at in Santa Clara county have all been closed to all boating, or have an algae bloom right now that I wouldnt want to practice self rescue in.

Take it to break water in Monterey. That's where most of the newb scuba divers in the area get certified.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You live in santa cruz.  Santa cruz has a harbor.  The santa cruz harbor has a kayak dock.  Should be self explanatory :)

Seriously, just go cruise in the harbor, if youre feelin sporty you venture outside the jetty and  cruise the beach all the way to the pier.  Just dont play self rescue in the channel. 

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
When are you going? I can show you around Monterey.
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
When are you going? I can show you around Monterey.

Awesome!  I am not sure yet as a few things still need to come together.  I would love to take you up on that though. Even if not this time!

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Drop me a line when your ready. :smt006
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I don't think he brews Coors lite  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Is Lexington still open? If so, that’s a good place to practice self-rescue.

Edit: Stopped by Lexington on my way home, and it's open year-around. IMHO, that would be a much better place to practice self-rescue than the SC harbor.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:17:32 PM by NowhereMan »
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
You live in santa cruz.  Santa cruz has a harbor.  The santa cruz harbor has a kayak dock.  Should be self explanatory :)

Seriously, just go cruise in the harbor, if youre feelin sporty you venture outside the jetty and  cruise the beach all the way to the pier.  Just dont play self rescue in the channel. 

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

This is what I did years ago.
Just practicing getting the boat and gear loaded and unloaded is important and educational.

My next goals were paddling to the end of the wharf ( watch out for flying lead ) to eat lunch,
And then later, paddle around the Mile buoy

Don’t forget to be safe and have fun!
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Is Lexington still open? If so, that’s a good place to practice self-rescue.

Edit: Stopped by Lexington on my way home, and it's open year-around. IMHO, that would be a much better place to practice self-rescue than the SC harbor.

Lake prohibits swimming, i dont know how well they police lexington but ive been told by rangers at other santa clara county lakes that they're no contact and they'll fine you for intentionally going in.  And appatently water skiiers dont count lol. 

What exactly would be the issue in practicing there in front of the kayak launch? 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
What exactly would be the issue in practicing there in front of the kayak launch?

No issue at all.  That will actually be the most likely scenario.  I was just trying to get some additional ideas.  Maybe something a bit more scenic.  :) 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Lake prohibits swimming, i dont know how well they police lexington but ive been told by rangers at other santa clara county lakes that they're no contact and they'll fine you for intentionally going in.  And appatently water skiiers dont count lol. 

Yes, swimming is prohibited at Lexington. I have seen the "no contact" rules at east bay lakes, but not at any Santa Clara County lakes---you'd have to convince me of that. As far as intentionally getting in the water, you have to wade in to launch (the ramp is invariably on dry land), so can't believe that's an issue either.

Anyways, I 'spose no problem practicing self-rescue at the harbor. I just wouldn't wear anything that you don't want coated with petroleum products...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Anyways, I 'spose no problem practicing self-rescue at the harbor. I just wouldn't wear anything that you don't want coated with petroleum products...

Damnit,  I hadn't thought of that.