Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stay away from Huli Cat charter boat in HMB  (Read 10648 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
This whole thread has a bad vibe.

Indeed.....over what is, in all liklihood, a non-incident.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I recall something I read from the S.C. Port District about how their authority runs out beyond the jetties by something in the low hundreds of yards and therefore the 5 mph zone extends out that far too.  I think the port was set up by the feds [who helped fund it] and that might be how they claim part of the bay. 

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Pretty harsh talk about one of the most responsible and nicest captains around

I was about to write something here and my 11 year old son asked what I was doing

I got as far as “You know Tom, the captain on the boat Hulicat that we go fishing on?” and my son launched into a monologue about all the fun experiences he’s had on that boat

Tom is the guy who made it happen for my son and his buddies and the other families on the boat

Just a suggestion but the people talking shaming somebody they don’t know and without benefit of having been there might want to consider removing those threads from this public forum until they know more about what actually happened

Maybe go and meet Tom or take your family on his boat and see what kind of person he is before launching into some kind of chickenshit shaming campaign

Anyone who knows Tom knows he wouldn’t do something like this deliberately It’s possible he wasn’t even at the helm

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Publicly shame him on his Facebook page. And call their office and chew them out. It might have been an accident, but it's like a car rolling a stop sign and almost hitting someone. Not acceptable.

https://www.facebook.com/hulicatfishing/

Really?  Why not just give him a call and give him an opportunity to address?  Most of the time, a little education on both sides, goes a long way.

This whole thread has a bad vibe.  I betcha if any one of you was having an incident in the water, Tom would be one of the first to back up to you to help, if he was in the immediate area.  Why burn bridges like this?

-Allen

I agree. 
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As a counterspin on the title of this thread I would also say if you need to take your family on a local fishing or whale watching trip, and you don’t want the kids crammed together with a bunch of 9:00 a.m. drunks and other versions of jackasses, the Hulicat is a good way to go and I am speaking from experience

We’ve had nothing but positive experiences with this captain and his crew

Unlike other boats in the area he doesn’t overbook, doesn’t tolerate drunks etc

I only had one problem with a jackass who refused to use the same weight balls as the rest of the boat and kept tangling up my gear then blaming it on me It got to the point I was about to throw him over the rail and Tom came and moved him where he could do no more harm

Other than that we’ve had nothing but good times on his boat

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
kayakers should not mill around the mouth of the harbor.  paddle through as fast as you can and clear the boating channel.   If you cannot handle boat wakes, you shouldn't be there.
Duh. That's what we did. How can we go faster than charter boat? They came from behind and passed us hella fast right at the mouth. Elaborate us how to clear it. I guess most of my friends shouldn't be there according to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Easy.  Come up to the harbor mouth on the inside.  Take a peek around the corner for incoming traffic.  Announce your intention to cross the mouth on channel 68 for the power boaters.  Then do not cross the channel, head inside towards the jetty/beach on a S/SW heading as fast as humanly possible.   Once you get a safe distance from the mouth, clear the channel as fast as possible.  Kayaks should not be in the boating lane, that's for boats. 

Boats throw wakes - be prepared for it and manage the expectations.  My boat throws a smaller wake at plane than it does when I am working up to plane.  You cannot expect a boat to slow down to no wake zone speeds for you, that's just ridiculous and dangerous for them.  When coming out of the mouth boats are powering up still and will throw a larger wake than they would at speed.  I both kayak fish and take my PB out of HMB and have seen plenty of kayaks where they simply don't F*** belong with no consideration for what the boats are trying to do, which is clear the mouth.  It is extremely surgy near the harbor entrance and being at no wake speeds definitely affects the power boat handling characteristics.  They need to get on the hump to clear the zone.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:29:29 PM by bmb »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Mostly this shouldn’t even be a problem

Ive been fishing from big sur up into Mendocino county since 1972, mostly from a kayak but for a while also from a small boat, I’ve never had a problem at the hmb jaws. There are plenty of drunks driving boats so I’m not saying things cant happen, but that would not be Tom or his crew

It came up sometime in the past that people were fishing just inside the jaws to avoid going out in the mess outside. In bad weather the jaws can be extremely tricky for power boats when currents are running and a big w or sw swell is rolling in

The jaws is a throughway for the boats, going out or coming in, either way they are throwing out a wake

If somebody on a big stable plastic kayak took a swim because a boat went by you might also want to look at your kayak and how it is loaded up. I fished a 16’ Wilderness Systems Tarpon for a long time and it would take either really bad seas, a lot of water in the hull, or serious talent to roll that thing over

By comparison my Stealth is skinnier and way more teetery than the average fishing yak nowadays, expecially with me being a bit too portly at the moment

If a wake can throw you in the water, in all likelihood the ocean will do the same thing without any boats around

Look at your yak and see if there’s anything you might want to change

If this is in fact a safety thread that’s my input

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
On another note ... the current can rip through the jaws.  Sometimes you need to stay on plane to get through there safely, especially on a less maneuverable large boat.

I gotta stop reading this thread.

-Allen

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I feels like winter and we just started summer. Lol
:roll: :roll: :smt002

This thread is clickbait i tell yah!
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Lir

On another note ... the current can rip through the jaws.  Sometimes you need to stay on plane to get through there safely, especially on a less maneuverable large boat.

-Allen

Pop the top on the moonshine you brought back from the PI and you'll forget all about it .

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine

-Allen

Pop the top on the moonshine you brought back from the PI and you'll forget all about it .

That moonshine quickly disappeared at a Fourth of July party yesterday!

I gotta stop drinking moonshine.

-Allen

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Meh, Shit happens in the jaws.... Just gotta be watching and Know you are in a danger zone... Warnings all over the site in the past. Sorry y'all got swamped/flipped. It happens there. We are kinda new on the scene out there. A bit of a hazard really. Call and let him know what happened! Might even score a trip frreeeee on his boat. :smt005 (record and take all his spots, that'll show um) :smt044 The Jaws are no joke though, that's why they have the name...
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Kayakers are hardly new on the scene. Boat operators need to keep a closer eye, as do kayakers, but the responsibility falls in the hands of the boaters. I'd like to back-pedal out of my previous statement about internet shaming. A phone call to the Hulicat would probably clear it up. I know Tom M is one of the most highly-regarded party boat captains in the Bay Area.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Did you call him? Tell him! He might have a new or oblivious captain.
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Thanks Haj for the warning. Just to be safe I'll definitely be on a look out for them whenever I'm fishing out there.

anything