Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need help with weights  (Read 3760 times)

Travis

I bought a nice rubber weight belt and now I am trying to decide which kind of weights to get.  I was looking at the 2lb bullet weights or 2lb+ square weights.  What style do you guys like?  Also, is it better to go with fewer heavy weights or a bunch of the 2lb weights?

fuzz

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Either style of weights would work fine.  I have a few types, but just use whatever's convenient.

Smaller weights are usually preferable for two reasons:
Its easier to distribute the balance of weights around you.
&
It's easier to customize your weight based on the type of diving you do(i.e. shallow vs. deep, 5mm vs. 7mm, etc.)

fish'n'dive

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Travis,
I use bullet weights. I concur with Fuzz's remarks too. As for the belt itself a great model used by most spearos is the "Marseillaise" or "Marseille" model which is made of rubber and is easy to adjust when you want to tighten it.
See models here:
http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MWB57&Category_Code=WB
or:
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=1&id_subfamilia=13
Alain

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
i use small bullet weights because they conform to my body better. make sure you use the buckles to keep em in place so they dont squeak and slide around when you are diving. noise underwater spooks everything.

if you have both bullets and larger weights try to position the larger weights in the middle centered on your body.

make sure you can ditch the belt safely and quickly.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I agree, after using a rubber marselllaise belt I'll never go back.  I appreciate that I can put it on in the kayak and jump in without having to re-tighten or worry about it sliding off of me during entry.  It also stays put as you dive and your wetsuit and body compress with depth.

I like to have the weights on either side of the buckle, that keeps me ballasted upright.  Weight size isn't so important, as long as there's a few small weights to give you decent ability to tune your bouyancy.

Travis,
I use bullet weights. I concur with Fuzz's remarks too. As for the belt itself a great model used by most spearos is the "Marseillaise" or "Marseille" model which is made of rubber and is easy to adjust when you want to tighten it.
See models here:
http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MWB57&Category_Code=WB
or:
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=1&id_subfamilia=13
Alain
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ok, all this talk of spear fishing has me thinking about getting in the water. I am going to get t
he 7mm camaro stingray suit as I am chronically cold. How much weight should I be looking at getting? Most of my diving will be in shallow water 25 and less.

-Brian

fuzz

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Weighting varies a lot based on brand of wetsuit & body composition.  Not familiar with that particular wetsuit.  Any reason you're looking at that one? 

As a starting point, I'd say roughly 20-24# for a scuba-style 7mm 2-piece.  You want to float at the surface & be neutral/negative at ~15-20ft.  Too light & you'll spend a lot of energy struggling to stay down.  You don't want to weight yourself too heavy for safety reasons.  I use 17# for my picasso 7mm 2-piece & carry a quick-release weight of 2# that allows me to weight myself heavier if the situation warrants it.

Here's a good thread on wetsuits if you haven't already read through it:
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=2374.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:07:24 PM by fuzz »

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I was leaning towards that suit as I have dove with that suit before and was happy with it. Thanks for the fyi on the other thread, lots of great stuff.

-Brian