Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need help picking a speargun  (Read 9638 times)

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I know almost nothing about spearguns.  I went once using a JBL Magnum 38 Special NW for rockfish.  Since it’s the only gun I used, I’ve got nothing to compare it against.  It seems similar to the Explorer 22.

Are either of these good choices for rockfish/lings?   Is the AOL length about right?  Also what about shaft diameter?  One band versus up to 3?  Accuracy?

Not looking to break the bank on this new hobby.

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
In my opinion the JBL 38 Special NW or Magnum are the best all around guns for the North Coast. Easy to load, easy to maintain, and very rugged.
Have had a couple of other guns, I have the 38NW, this is my favorite. I do have a JBL mini carbine for plinking the blues. Good to start a kid with it too.
<=>

pescadore

The JBL's are good guns for the $.  They've been in the business for a long time. I've got two of them...one short and one long, although I don't remember the model names anymore as I've had them so long.

Overall length should be considered for what you're planning to shoot.  Short guns are better in the rocks on the bottom, long guns give you more range in open water conditions.  Sometimes this works out that the long guns work better on spooky blues and blacks that have been chased around a lot, and the short guns get at the big lings back in the holes.

For sure, always get a gun with at least 2 bands.  This gives you backup if you break one, or if you're shooting in a tight conditions, you only need to pull one band.  Blasting through fish against rocks can really wack your tip and shaft.

Also, I'm not sure if they make them anymore, but don't buy a pneumatic gun.  They're a big pain to load - especially if you're freediving.

I think thin shafts damage the fish less, but have less inertia and therefore less range.  But I'm sorta guessing on that one.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for your help guys.

Stuart

bigeyedave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Different fish require different guns or tips.  Halibut for example are best shot with a double flopper type tip.  The yellowtail and seabass we shoot are best shot with a slip tip.  They can  be shot with other types of tips  but the chances of a fish tearing off are greater.  For example you could shoot a halibut with a 5 prong but you might lose it.  It would be better to shoot with a tip that can toggle on the other side of the fish.  The length of the gun is important for several reasons.  1. visibility, in poor visibility you would use a shorter gun, and 2. range.  some fish just wont let you get that close so you use a longer gun for more range to reach out and touch them.  The gun I shoot yellowtail and seabass with is 65 inches.  I know guys who have shot seabass with a 75 cm gun, but it is a lot more difficult.  For rockfish a nice 75 cm or 90 cm gun is perfect to start with.  One band on a euro type gun or two bands on a JBL is good.  The most important thing is to get out there and practice and get used to your equipment so you know how it shoots and it becomes second nature to you.  Just my 2 cents on it.
Dave

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have a 75cm omer euro gun and a 38" JBL sawed off magnum.  The difference is like that between a rifle and a shotgun (or bazooka?) even though they're the same length.  (JBL has longer barrel, but same length spear).  The omer is much easier to load and the way the shooting line attaches to the spear is superior to JBL, IMO.  Once the spear is locked in you just have to loop the shooting line around the line release once - verses twice for the JBL.  The difference is considerable, though the omer's shooting line is a tad shorter.  But the safety on the omer sucks - it's hard to manipulate while the JBL has an easy access thumb safety.  Either gun will take anything around here, though with 3 bands I'd feel comfortable taking grizzly bear with the JBL.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

pescadore

i forgot to mention:  I tend to get pukey when I'm floating on top in a swell, untangling my cord.  So a couple of years ago i bought those leash/tether things that look like the old phone cords.  They work pretty well in that I don't have spend time loopin up my line - and getting sick.  Once I get into that mode its all over.  I wouldn't trust them for big game, and I'm sure they affect accuracy, but they are kind of convenient.  Mostly, I'm shooting lings and rock cod for dinner, so I haven't been concerned about losing a trophy.

Travis

What about spearing big reds?  Are they usually in open water or found under rocks?

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
reds hang out in 30-300ft, I've never seen one freediving, and I know the guys in monterey get a big thrill out of taking one - but they freedive to 50' or so to do it.  Unless you're using scuba, I don't think you're likely to get a shot at one until you've worked your way up in diving skill a bit.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
While scuba diving I've only ever seen reds right on the bottom often times in a hole or right up against a rock.  I've never seen them up off the bottom and they are usually >50 feet deep.

-Allen

Travis

Quote from: promethean_spark
reds hang out in 30-300ft, I've never seen one freediving, and I know the guys in monterey get a big thrill out of taking one - but they freedive to 50' or so to do it.  Unless you're using scuba, I don't think you're likely to get a shot at one until you've worked your way up in diving skill a bit.
 I know but I am just thinking ahead :smt003.

pescadore

Quote from: promethean_spark

I'm not sure why, but even after you work up to deep freedives, they take a lot of juice.  Ten 50 - 60 ft dives would clean me up....when I was in shape.  The choice for me is always less deeper dives or more shallow dives.  If you want fat reds, getting certified is way more productive.  Its also real fun, but in a different way than freediving.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I'm not sure why, but even after you work up to deep freedives, they take a lot of juice. Ten 50 - 60 ft dives would clean me up....when I was in shape.

:smt033 Smokin' aint good for freedivers!  Seriously, the guys that are good like Dave can dive that deep over and over again...but they are all in shape, and they place UW hockey every week.

The Omer I have is outstanding for the money, and the range is excellent.

pescadore

Quote from: scwafish
I'm not sure why, but even after you work up to deep freedives, they take a lot of juice. Ten 50 - 60 ft dives would clean me up....when I was in shape.

:smt033 Smokin' aint good for freedivers!  Seriously, the guys that are good like Dave can dive that deep over and over again...but they are all in shape, and they place UW hockey every week.

Hey, I'm on a one a day plan. But if my wife finds out, the WAF goes way down, so i'll pay 50 bucks to keep my smokin' jones quiet.  It's worth it!  Also, I'm in the "the older I get, the better I was" mode about freediving.

Travis

Quote from: scwafish

Which Omer gun do you have Sean?