Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: .  (Read 3958 times)

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Vic,

Glad you're OK man. You did what you had to do.

Mike
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks for sharing your story, VK. Glad it ended well.

We can all learn from this.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Last year I had the same experience at TC.  The weather forecast was dead wrong.  The wind blew from 5 to 20 plus knots in an instant.  Thank goodness our Hobie's got us out safely.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Glad you made out safely. You said your FF showed "0" mph against the wind. So I think a longer kayak would get you back in...ie Trident 15 or Tarpon 160.
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Last year I had the same experience at TC.  The weather forecast was dead wrong.  The wind blew from 5 to 20 plus knots in an instant.  Thank goodness our Hobie's got us out safely.

yeah a hobie may have worked well....The weather changed that quick yesterday..fog ..boom sun..wind..I`ve been blown off Tomales Bay when the wind kicked up and got a good workout  and made it in at a steady pace... but nothing like that  at one point I looked at my FF, my mph into the wind read "0"...
was your paddle feathered? that helps out a lot when the wind is hitting you from the front of the kayak.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
reads to me like you handled your business right......another goodthing about these plastic boats, is you can abort if things dont go as planned.

good thinking when the tough WX showed it ugly face

Came to post this. Good to see it was already here.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
VK-   

Like the pilots say "Its always a good landing if you walk away from it."

You employed "Plan 'B'." Always have a plan B........

One tip I try to share is having a good weather knowledge.  If I know the wind is going to come from the NW later in the day, I will usually paddle in that direction to fish.  Then, if and when it kicks up, it's at my back, not in my face.

EZ for me to say I know.  I've been caught just out in front of SC harbor southeast fighting for my life against a howling NW wind that came from nowhere. I was just telling Polepole about it this weekend.  I paddled straight in to the kelp, tied up and rested, and then paddy hopped my way back to the harbor.  It was beyond tough.  My plan B was to beach land, but the waves were big.

Plan C was to ride the wind east and take the time to stow all my rods and stuff, and beach land down by 14th st, past Black's Point.  Figured I could just bail and let the waves wash my yak in if I had to.  But I did not want to do that because I'd have to leave my gear to go get my car.  So I paddled.

The final stretch there was no kelp I was paddling for all I was worth. 

And then the red suit lifeguard girl starting yelling at me from the beach "Kayaker,, Kayaker, you are inside the swimming buoys.  Move away from the swimming buoys!!"

I swear I couldn't even take the time off paddling to give her the finger.  I would of been blown back.  What a dumbass!

Anyway, everyone who's been HERE for a while has also been THERE.

There is my 2 ¢.

Bushy 

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
You did the right thing and will be better off going forward. It's always good to know your limits instead of being overconfident or foolhardy.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I too do most of my fishing and diving solo.
I know the risks.
That being said, one way of looking at it is that you cut your chances of something going wrong by 50% by not having someone with you.
What if you did have a partner and he got in trouble? Now you have to help him and put yourself at risk in doing so.
If you go solo, have the experience to deal with something bad on your own. Know your limits.
If you do go with someone, know their limits.

<=>

HG

• Salmon
  • View Profile Paubox
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Bushy,

good advice.

A good rudder makes a big difference in high winds. Even taking everything out of the water and putting your rods down on the yak to cut down on wind drag makes a difference too.

Just gotta keep a steady stroke and not panic.

VK-   

Like the pilots say "Its always a good landing if you walk away from it."

You employed "Plan 'B'." Always have a plan B........

One tip I try to share is having a good weather knowledge.  If I know the wind is going to come from the NW later in the day, I will usually paddle in that direction to fish.  Then, if and when it kicks up, it's at my back, not in my face.

EZ for me to say I know.  I've been caught just out in front of SC harbor southeast fighting for my life against a howling NW wind that came from nowhere. I was just telling Polepole about it this weekend.  I paddled straight in to the kelp, tied up and rested, and then paddy hopped my way back to the harbor.  It was beyond tough.  My plan B was to beach land, but the waves were big.

Plan C was to ride the wind east and take the time to stow all my rods and stuff, and beach land down by 14th st, past Black's Point.  Figured I could just bail and let the waves wash my yak in if I had to.  But I did not want to do that because I'd have to leave my gear to go get my car.  So I paddled.

The final stretch there was no kelp I was paddling for all I was worth. 

And then the red suit lifeguard girl starting yelling at me from the beach "Kayaker,, Kayaker, you are inside the swimming buoys.  Move away from the swimming buoys!!"

I swear I couldn't even take the time off paddling to give her the finger.  I would of been blown back.  What a dumbass!

Anyway, everyone who's been HERE for a while has also been THERE.

There is my 2 ¢.

Bushy

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Thanks for having courage and sharing story. We all need reminders that sh#t happens and be ready.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

2labs4me

VK,

Thanks for posting your experience. I am a newbie and reading posts like yours just reinforce that I need to have a clue before going out in the deep blue. Right now I don't even know what I need to know. So I will be taking a few classes first then limit my outings to freshwater lakes for awhile until I have some skill level and knowledge. Thanks again. 

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Glad you made it safe, the wind can change in a snap, thats why when I fished I pay attention also on prediction on wind, I've learned the hard way at Monterey...
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Bottom line, this was a learning experience for you. While some may shake their head (Not many I[m sure), others were able to learn from it. Putting your story out there for others to read provides suggestions from more experienced kayakers and opportunities to learn for the "newbies". Don't beat yourself up. Learn from this and apply it to your next adventure as others will hopefully also do. I too have been caught off guard by the wind. It aint no joke. Be safe out there and thank you for sharing.