Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: [SITE] Soften the hard sell please  (Read 50267 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Been seeing more and more people posting stuff like the following:

1) Check out this other kayak fishing site or facebook page.
2) Consider a guided trip with me.
3) Buy my goods.

And have been getting more complaints about it to.

This site is not a site for one to troll up more visitors to another site.  Nor is it a site for you to use for your own marketing purposes (unless perhaps you are offering an NCKA specific special deal).  While we do enjoy patronizing site members, it's becoming increasing subjective in terms of what is allowed and what isn't.  And we don't really want that either.  So all we ask is that you all soften up the message a little.  It pretty easy actually ... ask yourself if what you are posting is answering the question being asked.  If not, then your hard sell is on.  Kindly turn it off.   :smt002

Thanks.

-Allen

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm not pushing ANYTHING anymore... No one's paying my play bills but me anymore so... Let's go fishing!!!!!
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumleft:
<=>

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I was contacted by mods here regarding posting links to fishing reports on my blog. I understand the issue you have brought up and appreciate the rational soft sell request. Just to clarify my blog is completely non commercial even though I believe Wordpress will display ads to those clicking on my blog. I use the blog to post my fishing/travel stuff because it provides a central place for me to store these adventures. I used to post long detailed posts to another private site but the site crashed and all was lost. I post only to private clubs such as here and Fulllspeed and often put a LOT of effort into my posts and enjoy sharing intel and lies. Let me know if that is cool.

This a great website you have here.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I was contacted by mods here regarding posting links to fishing reports on my blog. I understand the issue you have brought up and appreciate the rational soft sell request. Just to clarify my blog is completely non commercial even though I believe Wordpress will display ads to those clicking on my blog. I use the blog to post my fishing/travel stuff because it provides a central place for me to store these adventures. I used to post long detailed posts to another private site but the site crashed and all was lost. I post only to private clubs such as here and Fulllspeed and often put a LOT of effort into my posts and enjoy sharing intel and lies. Let me know if that is cool.

This a great website you have here.

Thanks PP!

Just cut and paste, then it's on NCKA!

Respectfully

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
VK you can still tell me about sales.  I like spending money on cool stuff I wouldn't normally know about. 

I get it...just soft sell it.  I am not one who scours the Internet for deals but do like the occasional posted link.  I got downrigger balls for $2 each and would not have ever known if someone didn't post.  But that wasn't selling items from ones own business so probably ok. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

barefoot1

• Sea Lion
  • The world needs more fruitcakes.--J. Buffet
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I agree with Pole Pole.  Lots of folks pushing their wares/services here.  Maybe it is time to sell advertising  space on the site for those who want to commercialize.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
- Mark Twain

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Is there somewhere we can refer to where the rules are specifically delineated? 

Like if someone is moving to eureka and I suggest friending our local facebook page, run by someone who isn't me and I don't get anything in return, is that bad? 

How about if I suggest hiring a local guide without any expectation of any type of kickback?

What is the difference between a hard sell and a soft sell?  I always took a hard sell to mean that someone was persistent, making more than one attempt at a sale directed toward a particular person/event.  I guess not?

Whatever you want people to stop doing should really be spelled out, because I can't tell if any of this is directed at me even though it might be.  I dont think VK should stop doing anything that he has been doing, it has been nothing but useful.

I get how eric dripping a link to his page without prividing a full report here is crossing a line, but how about rob who fully laid out his report and pics and everything?  Surely that is okay, right?  Even if he put it in 6 different places on the interwebs and hopes it generates business?

I guess I just don't get the rules that you are trying to lay down.  It isn't very clear.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

polepole

• Administrator

We really don't want to make hard rules for this.  Otherwise the rule would likely be "no posts of a commercial nature", and we really don't need to go there.  For the most part, people know when they are pushing the limits.  If there is any doubt, don't do it.

And no, it's not directed at you Doug, unless you're trying to sell me some legal service to spell this out in no uncertain terms.   :smt006

-Allen

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I agree with Pole Pole.  Lots of folks pushing their wares/services here.  Maybe it is time to sell advertising  space on the site for those who want to commercialize.
+1 or make a subscription based subforum for things like that

polepole

• Administrator
If I have crossed a boundary by my posting for sale items or any other actions regarding my employment , and it has caused any discord ,I want to make it right.

I have a habit of becoming exuberant over fishing , fishing gear and tackle. My intent is/ was to share that excitement and I forgot about  crossing that boundary.

I respect the site,moderators and all the NCKA brothers and sisters and if it messes with the Chi,Karma or Spirit of NCKA I offer my sincere apologies.

Respectfully,
Vic/VK

If I were to use you as an example, I don't see any issues.  Offering up sales/deals to NCKA member has never been frowned upon.  And the rate and which you do it is every once in a while.  So yeah, no biggie.

If I were to give other examples, links to other sites is usually frowned upon, unless referencing copyrighted material that you don't own, then posting a link is the correct course of action.

If someone asks what is the best color of doohickey xyz and the response is check out my thingamajig abc instead, well, what part of "what is the best color" is that answering?

-Allen

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Are we still cool to sell the stuff we make in the classifieds section?

*This message is sponsored by Brawndo. Brawndo, it's what plants crave.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

polepole

• Administrator
Are we still cool to sell the stuff we make in the classifieds section?

*This message is sponsored by Brawndo. Brawndo, it's what plants crave.

It's cool to sell in the classified, as long as it's not overdone.  You guys don't want to overdo it anyways, as you'll do more harm to your own sales than otherwise.  If I think back to some of the more successful garage ventures here, it hasn't been those that toot their own horn.  It has been those that have offered up a solid product and others toot their horn for them.

-Allen

[WR]

• Salmon
  • VFW Life Member at Large since 1997
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
pppssssttttttt ATD.... Love the Idiocracy reference... great movie...
Why so many typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

We really don't want to make hard rules for this.  Otherwise the rule would likely be "no posts of a commercial nature", and we really don't need to go there.  For the most part, people know when they are pushing the limits.  If there is any doubt, don't do it.

And no, it's not directed at you Doug, unless you're trying to sell me some legal service to spell this out in no uncertain terms.   :smt006

-Allen

For a small fee....
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb