Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kokatat session semi dry jacket?  (Read 2159 times)

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I've recently picked up a Kokatat Whirlpool bib. Looking for a top to go with it. Thinking about getting this one. Was wondering if this would be warm enough, with sufficient base layers, for inshore, Bay, Delta use?

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Oh Hell Yea!
Remember , ur exercising out there too!
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

raydon

• Sea Lion
  • Fishy in the sea, won't you bite my hook for me?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Semi Dry=Semi Wet.  I would not use this in the bay.  If you flip, you'll be too cold.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
   I've been using that same kokatat jacket for nearly two decades.. it's still in great condition.   Originally purchased it for kayak surfing.   It keeps you relatively dry under a quick submersion.. ( such as eskimo roll )   Blocks out wind etc.. I usually wear just a polar fleece shirt under as that helps wick  water  away from your body..  Cut off wetsuit for pants. 

Semi Dry=Semi Wet.  I would not use this in the bay.  If you flip, you'll be too cold.

Not meaning to be argumentive about this, but  I believe there were at least two instances where members  were wearing drysuits,,, yet still experienced hypothermia...     Am I wrong about this?

Flipping over with a reasonable amount of time to get back in is one thing..    Having a leak causing you to swim a mile is another.   

As the day warms,, it's nice to be able to peel off layers,,as opposed to sealing yourself up in a drysuit... which if you decided to peel open on a hot day would likely fill with water very quickly.

You have to evaluate your needs.

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As annoying as it might be on hot days, you need to layer up based on the water temperature, not the air temperature. I usually wear one “heavyweight” merino wool layer top and bottom, and merino wool socks (neoprene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Congrats on your new bib. Kokatat makes excellent clothing.  Personally I would only wear one with a hood to keep your head warm and dry for those wet and rainy days.
According to Kokatat the Session Jacket is designed for white water kayaking.

I use 2 kinds of jackets, one for normal days and the other for cold / wet days.  For normal days and what I use most of the is time is the NRS Hightide Splash Jacket. https://www.nrs.com/product/20026.02/nrs-high-tide-splash-jacket

For cold wet days I use the Kokatat Hydrus Tempest Jacket.  The neoprene neck gasket keeps cold air out and latex wrist gaskets keep water out off your arms.
https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-hydrus-tempest-kayak-paddling-jacket?gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT24EDTeBFwp_6L6JqkKjM9keNtVUM_Vm9mQ5stCCYce3x3dGeSUT-x4aAm7lEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:43:31 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks All for the input.

I thought a hood would be a good idea, so I ordered the Kokatat Tempest jacket.

Also appreciate the advice on the base layers. Hadn’t figured that out yet :smt001 I’ve looked into the merino wool, will probably go to REI to get a “hands on” just to feel the options for materials.

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Congrats on your new bib. Kokatat makes excellent clothing.  Personally I would only wear one with a hood to keep your head warm and dry for those wet and rainy days.

I use 2 kinds of jackets, one for normal days and the other for cold / wet days.  For normal days and what I use most of the is time is the NRS Hightide Splash Jacket. https://www.nrs.com/product/20026.02/nrs-high-tide-splash-jacket

For cold wet days I use the Kokatat Hydrus Tempest Jacket.  The neoprene neck gasket keeps cold air out and latex wrist gaskets keep water out off your arms.
https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-hydrus-tempest-kayak-paddling-jacket?gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT24EDTeBFwp_6L6JqkKjM9keNtVUM_Vm9mQ5stCCYce3x3dGeSUT-x4aAm7lEALw_wcB

Thanks a bunch for the input. On normal days, what are you using for bottoms? What are you wearing for base layers?

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Base layer: wool.  You need something to wick moisture and sweat off your body so if the temperature drops quickly or you stopped to fish you don't start freezing. I made the mistake of wearing cotton base layers on a 40 degree day and if I didn't keep active the sweat would cool and I would start shivering.  Don't do that.  I'd go with merino wool thermals, and if it's reallllly cold a light fleece top and light wool bottoms. Its better to be a bit hot and sweaty than to risk hypothermia.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I like a single layer of somewhat heavy Merino wool top and bottom, plus some mid weight merino wool socks. I wear NRS neoprene booties which also help keep my feet warm.

That’s it. I don’t add any layers under the dry suit or take any off. It’s warm enough for all but the coldest mornings, and it’s not TOO hot when the sun comes out. Every now and then I’ll “burp” my suit by unzipping for a quick second and letting some fresh air in, but I never stay unzipped for long.

IÂ’ve spent up to an hour and a half or so bobbing around in the surf to test he warmth of this setup, and it seems sufficient for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thanks a bunch for the input. On normal days, what are you using for bottoms? What are you wearing for base layers?

For normal weather days, fishing local lakes I like polyester type pants like the Columbia brand.  They are quick drying and light weight. I like wearing Teva or Columbia water shoes that's + 2 sizes bigger to fit the bib's socks.
For cold days and being out in the ocean wool thermals are great.  Personally, I have Mysterioso sweaters that I love to wear.  http://mysterioso.com/category-mens-coldwater-weather-tops-and-bottoms

I bet an Angler Drysuit is in your list. :smt002
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:32:31 PM by FishingAddict »

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks All, will be checking out woolen undies tomorrow. Had hoped to get my kayak out for its maiden voyage in the morning, but my little jeep, with its roof rack, is in the shop

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Test your gear at Quarry Lakes here in Fremont. :smt004

Tikifrog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Test your gear at Quarry Lakes here in Fremont. :smt004

Definitely🤙🏼 I’ll have my first several outings at Quarry. Nice and close to home. Hopefully next Saturday.

anything