Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:35:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WTB: Anvil  (Read 2707 times)

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
HOLY CRAP!
I know that guy in the photo; local realtor...retired.
He has property in Costa Rica and built an AMAZING tree house that is actually a vacation rental.
He pops into the Post Office every now and then.
next time I'll have to give him shit about the photo.
<=>

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
What is your price range?  I have a 70 lb'r that i may consider parting with.  I'll check in with some of my fellow farriers.

I'm looking for something a bit heavier than your standard farrier anvils, but a larger one might fit the bill.

I am willing to pay going rates, but who isn't looking for a bargain.  As others have stated, decent ones are hard to find, and when you do, they are priced high and go quickly.  Damn yuppies looking for living room art.  I'm not in a rush as I'm still setting up shop, but I know it might take a while to find the right one ...

-Allen

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you building, that you need an anvil that size? We had a 50 and 85# that handled everything on the ranch and the quarries. I understand that overkill is underrated, but damn son!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Pacific

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Looks like he has the same photographer as MontanaN8V

polepole

• Administrator
Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you building, that you need an anvil that size? We had a 50 and 85# that handled everything on the ranch and the quarries. I understand that overkill is underrated, but damn son!

I'm no expert, just going on the recommendations I got in the classes I've been taking.  Farriers anvils tend to be lighter, with more mass in the horn, and in the 50-150 pound range.  Forging anvils tend to have more mass in the body and typically range from 75-500 pounds.  Could I make a farriers anvil work?  Well, with my rookie skills, probably, but if I'm going to spend 100's of dollars on the equipment (anvils, forge, tools), I'm going to try to get the right equipment.  I could probably make a smaller forging anvil work, or a farriers anvil that has more body mass, for the right price.

What am I building?  I dunno.  I'm pounding hot metal!!!  I'm planning on taking a bladesmithing class next.  That's one direction this is likely to take.

-Allen

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

san miguel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
where you takin a class at? i used to work for a blacksmith years ago in santa cruz....freedom forge on the westside/kirk mc neill's a great local blacksmith with a lot of connections.  there's another guy on the westside named rigel who was kirk's apprentice, he makes a lot of knives.  a lot of the forge's are built by the the blacksmith's themselves, probably sure you knew that.  definitely worth droppin by freedom forge if you're around sc, last time i talked to kirk he was havin a hard time w/his shoulder so dunno how much longer he was really gonna be a blacksmith.  i also met a farrier at the prunetucky safeway the other day that was looking for local blacksmiths to work at the agricultural history project.

we've actually poured a lot of bronze at home and built a furnace, a different, indirect process but still very cool to see hot metal!

polepole

• Administrator
where you takin a class at? i used to work for a blacksmith years ago in santa cruz....freedom forge on the westside/kirk mc neill's a great local blacksmith with a lot of connections.  there's another guy on the westside named rigel who was kirk's apprentice, he makes a lot of knives.  a lot of the forge's are built by the the blacksmith's themselves, probably sure you knew that.  definitely worth droppin by freedom forge if you're around sc, last time i talked to kirk he was havin a hard time w/his shoulder so dunno how much longer he was really gonna be a blacksmith.  i also met a farrier at the prunetucky safeway the other day that was looking for local blacksmiths to work at the agricultural history project.

we've actually poured a lot of bronze at home and built a furnace, a different, indirect process but still very cool to see hot metal!

Been taking classes at The Crucible in Oakland.

And yeah, I plan on building my own forge.

-Allen

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

I know that farier.  Nice guy.  Does a lot of demo work at AHP.  I doubt I have any anvils I'm ready to part with.  Have an old school hand forge that works great for small project blacksmith work.

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I'll keep an eye out for you. I run into all kinds of stuff. I agree with you that you shouldn't settle. It's going to be expensive might as well be right.

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Been taking classes at The Crucible in Oakland.
And yeah, I plan on building my own forge.
-Allen

http://www.albertpaley.com/

worth a look!

I Zod Out
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:54:01 AM by I Zod Out »
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

LBSteve

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
 if your going to start making knives and don't belong to the knifedogs forum, you need to check em out! Tons of information. http://knifedogs.com/forum.php
I only want to be the man my dog thinks I am.

rob102

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I just asked buddy of mine who is into blacksmithing and making swords and axes. He said he got a 150lb Trenton off of eBay.

Good luck

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I want an anvil because I keep breaking vices when reshaping stuff...  But I'm cheap, I'll keep buying garage sale vices and crushing them...
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Put me on the list if you ever decide to make any type of knife with the " Damascus " look. Not sure how they are on holding an edge, but are beautiful looking.  :smt007

Alex

Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

anything