Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Weekly Newpaper Fishing Reports???  (Read 2143 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Dude, what's up with sfgate.com and mercurynews.com not posting any current fishing reports? like they used to?  Like i'm actually gonna go buy the paper.

Can everyone contribute some links to fishing reports, preferrably from periodicals?  thx,

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The Chron has a note on the bottom of their Thurs page "Brian Hoffman is on vacation.".

In case you missed it while on the net, newspapers are hurtin' (partly because people are on the net), so buy a few so you can tell your grandkids  that you actually held some once.

Oh, and this guy seems to know something about fishing and sounds like a nice enough guy to be a NCKA'r:

Allen Bushnell's Fish Rap column Thursdays in  Santa Cruz Sentinel ( and they are a dot com too, so it doesn't surprise me that they just moved to Scott's Valley for cheap rent and print the paper at the Merc), or his radio program Thurs nites (7?) at KSCO (I think they stream), there's a post on this site with the exact details from SCAllen.

Also check out the fishing columns in the Sacto Bee and the Stockon Record (Pete Ottesen is a good man too).

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Check out Coastside Fishing Club or USAfishing.com.  One problem with USA is that if is slow picks...they don't report.  Or, if you are talking about freshwater...then the news can be a week old.  Unless you know someone that been there.

Hate to say it.  But In My Opion, most fishing reports in the papers are taking off the web, anyway.

Ken kickfish

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
But In My Opion, most fishing reports in the papers are taking off the web

The ones they don't make up to boost sales, you mean.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Hey Yakuza and all:

The asst editor at Mercury News has asked me about writing the fishing report for that paper.  (He used to be my editor at the Sentinel...)

If they formally offer me the gig, it might be different from my Sentinel Report which is more a chatty type of local report. The Merc format is like  a formchart, don't know if I would prefer that or not.  less verbiage, but way more weekly contacts to make.... Unsure if I would take on the challenge and responsibility of the Merc, depends on what the deal is.....1K$ a week?  Sure I am yours....  $20 a week?  No thanks....

I've been waiting a couple weeks for them to get back to me.  Maybe a couple well-placed complaints to the sports editor might get them going????  LOL

For now, as Tom says, my Sentinel report is available at their website, as well as posted on Jim Sammons board kayak4fish, on the NorCal board.  Also published on sportfishingreport.com each week for Chad Woods.  I do that weekly for both with the Sentinel's OK.....

To tell the truth, much of what I write each week is already common knowledge on this board by the time I write it.  We ncka'rs are pretty plugged in.

BTW, radio show is ksco.com or theletsgofishingradioshow.com live streamed thursdays 7-8pm, but its seasonal from April through September (salmon season through albacore season)....give a listen and feel free to call in!

Allen

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

For now, as Tom says, my Sentinel report is available at their website, as well as posted on Jim Sammons board kayak4fish, on the NorCal board.  Also published on sportfishingreport.com each week for Chad Woods.  I do that weekly for both with the Sentinel's OK.....

Allen

Prefer to go to the original source, so could you pls post a link to Sentinal's fishing report?  I remember fishing around and not finding it (similar to my capitola WSB experiences). 

Good luck on the SJ Merc gig.   :smt002 :smt002.  We'll all benefit if they break you off sumthin

Thanks,

Bushy

• Administrator
Y-

I think it is not a static link.  I'll check tomorrow and post web directions..

Allen

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks!   :smt001

Why am I so keen on gettin the report from periodicals?  Because like the weather forecast, the best fishing reports come by bulk mail.  j/k.  I've found the papers usually list a lot of vendors so when I'm looking to book an outfit, i don't have to search too far.

Bushy

• Administrator
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/news/sport/index.html

this link will show the Fish RAp on Thursdays, otherwise, you have to look up in archives which is sometimes messy.

You can always go to kayak4fish.com and look in the norcal board, where it's also posted.  sportfishingreport.com carries this report as well.

thanks for the support!

Allen

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Anybody remember when the Merc had the Venture section every Thursday?! I really looked forward to that little section...until it died about 6 years ago. Alas, I still miss it.
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Coastside Rocks.....daily from guys who are out there.  PB and partyboats.  They know we (yak guys) ...we do some do something ...they do something they don't want to do.

Just join and report.

Ken kickfish
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:29:07 PM by kickfish »

anything