Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Belize fishing/croc story  (Read 2217 times)

Tak 2

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Wow,  I read some great stories on this page!!  OK...here's one that happened to me!

I was lucky my wife let me go to Belize with my son, Takeshi, his girlfriend  Nicole and her father, Dr Low,  to Ambergris Caye in Belize from March 24 to the 29th. The trip started off kinda bad since American lost my luggage from Dallas. Dang...all my flys and fishing rods lost and my guided flats fishing trip was the next day.

I couldn't cancel so we go for it.  I arranged two boats, and the captains had pretty good gear so that was good.  It was wide open for small bonefish on light tackle spinning using shrimp and also it was almost too easy flyfishing for them.  Too bad they were so small, the biggest was maybe 15 inches but it was a blast.  The other boat went to a different spot and they caught 30 fish in a half day.

So I really wanted to catch a tarpon but the guide says it's too windy to find them.  I was dissappointed but it was really not a fishing trip.  We toured the Mayan ruins, went cave tubing, zip lining and scuba diving. 

I was throwing a plug near the dock one morning and a guide starts talking to me about tarpon fishing.  He says he guarantees me a tarpon, fishing in a lagoon near the condo we are staying at.  So I agree to go and he says $50 bucks.  I'm thinking Belize dollars which is $25 so I agree to meet him at 4:30. Oh yeah, I caught a nice barracuda from the dock!!

So the gang wants to tarpon fish so we all meet him and he takes us to some funky lagoon across the street from our condo.  I thinking...what a rip off!  He is really nice and I ask him if this really going to cost me $50 bucks and said yes US too but we can negotiate the money later.  We fish until dark and we are catching nice Talapia on Shrimp with our 10lb test gear.  Nicole sees a croc swimming around and snaps a pic of it.  It stayed far away so no big deal, the guide says it's a 14 footer.  Suddenly Dr Low hooks into a nice two foot long tarpon! It goes wild but snaps the line.  Dang! It gets dark and I offer the guide $80 and he is happy with it.  Whew.  He tells me to the next morning at sunrise so I go for it.

I wake up at 5:00 am and nobody is awake so I go alone.  I throw out two lines with shrimp and tie on a bimini twist on my hook to double the line to be safe.  Minutes later I get a hook up!!!  It another nice tarpon and it jumpes around like on TV!!  I fight my dream fish and it's coming in...but I look to my right and notice that dang croc is sneaking up on me!!  The croc is 20 ft away and comes in closer to me so I decide to break the fish off and throw a stick at that croc to shoo him off.  I guess I watch too much Crocodile Hunter!! Dang!!

I re-tie and throw out again...this time I get a good take down!!!  I set the hook and it feels huge.  It comes up and it's that dang croc!!!  I'm pissed so I jerk on him and I break him off! Sheesh!!  I guess I can say I hooked a 14 ft croc!!

Attaches is a typical small Belize bone and the croc!

Dave
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:21:40 PM by Tak 2 »

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
...that croc would have made a nice rug in the living room :smt002...OK, maybe not  :smt011

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Tak-san, I hear crocs taste like chicken...  :smt002
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Dave...do you realized that you'd probably get "Kayak Angler of the Year" if you landed that croc on your yak  :smt045 If fact, you may just be the first to do it  :smt112 ...might just make the front page of Sports Illustrated  :smt003....the possibilities are endless my friend :smt002

Frankfishing

They do taste like chicken! I've had them at the road side stands along with snake.

anything