Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Don't Die Diving!  (Read 1992 times)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

This vid should be watched by any newb diver before venturing out for the first time.

This guy was diving in what I believe was Van Damme in Mendo. Van Damme is one of the safest and calmest places to dive on the North Coast and he had a close call in shallow water.

Diving with an experienced dive buddy and taking a dive class is recommended.

Be safe out there!

Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Thanks for the Video . Did it seem like the person he was with was not very experienced as well ?
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
They were both newbs.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Big slice of humble pie.  Thanks for sharing.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
I of course have no diving experience, but it seems like clinging to the rock walls near shore is not the thing to do with wave surges knocking you up against them. Seems as though it would be more appropriate to swim a bit away from them.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I like the part where he tells us that HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM, but it should be okay since it's only 3 or 4 ft of water. 

The headline would've been, "Another abalone diver dies in Mendo..."  even though he doesn't classify as a diver, let alone a swimmer, just an idiot.

At least he shared his idiocy on YouTube for someone to learn from...
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Yeah, that looks like Van Damme alright.
Van Damme is one of the safest and calmest places to dive on the North Coast
Very true, but up against that rock, the ocean is a hammer, the rock is an anvil and you are in the middle. That was plain dumb luck it didn't turn out worse.

Some folks just think Ab diving is easy and simple, sometimes it is and then there are the rest of 'em.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Thought I recognized the guy

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:10:45 PM by Dale L »

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
Ya ! This dude has no business putting up a how to obtain abalone with the experience he has. He explains nothing about gear or safety.   :smt013
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I usually like Matt's videos. And in his defense, he spends well over four minutes at the beginning of this one telling people that what he did was dumb. As others have said, maybe some dummy sees this and thinks again before heading out unprepared.

That being said, there are a few other videos of his that make me shake my head because they involve sketchy setups and nothing happens to go wrong to give inexperienced viewers pause. Anchoring off of Baker Beach in a Big 5 inflatable raft to go crabbing ? Taking that same boat out at HMB without a PFD ? Recipe for disaster.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I dont like to get anywhere near the cliffs when im diving even when its glassy, ill get close to a wash rocks but theres no  kicking around a cliff. Like mentioned this guy has some sketchy looking  videos.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Dude may have saved a life with that video. Who knows?
It's funny how people post vids with zero experience and others watch as if it were gospel.
<=>

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
It's funny how people post vids with zero experience and others watch as if it were gospel.
^ This

You're going to look pretty dumb with a tombstone that reads "He saw it on YouTube."
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
In the winter and spring I backcountry ski, which is way dangerous too, and just like going out on the ocean — situations can go from mellow and nice to life-and-death in seconds.  I often talk to mariners and skiers/boarders who 1) Are clearly goofballs and disasters-waiting-to-happen, and 2) Believe deep inside that because they've successfully gone into harm's way at least once that that makes them good at it.

They confuse luck with skill. Then they rinse and repeat the same stupidity, so their errors take on a fake life that hides the errors behind lucky, smiling, stupid faces ... until reality catches up and takes them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I of course have no diving experience, but it seems like clinging to the rock walls near shore is not the thing to do with wave surges knocking you up against them. Seems as though it would be more appropriate to swim a bit away from them.
Yes and no.  Yes, rocks can be hazards, but they can also be used for protection if done correctly.

Understanding that what we share here is no substitute for proper safety courses taught by certified instructors, I'll share some tips:

• NEVER take your eye off the sea (the surge/wave source/direction)
  • Don't panic, your brain is your most important tool.  Clear thinking is what helps us figure out how to make the best of the bad situation.
  • The water is roughest at the surface:  The ocean has surge and at the surface the surge stacks up and becomes swells and then waves.   Sometimes it is helpful to maneuver, hang out, recover under water where conditions are less hazardous.  Example:  surfers and divers all duck under waves when in the surf crush zone.
  • Rocks are hazardous, and so are docks, other kayaks, boats, ships, wharfs, pilings, and sandy beaches for the very same reason:  They are all bigger than we are, so in shoving matches, we soft and fragile humans lose in most close encounters.
  • With regard to rocks/shore and waves, there's a front side ("weather-side") and a back side ("leeward-side").  As Fisherman X noted, the hammer and anvil side is the front side for sure, so if you're unlucky enough to get caught in that crush-zone, try to hold onto the rock but get around to its back side.  For the most part, that uses the rock to blunt the force of the surge/waves on your body.  IMPORTANT:  This concept also applies to those other bad situations where we need protection from the waves and wind, like getting rescued by a PB out on the open sea.
  • If in the crush-zone, this is when seeing and planning for the next hit will save your life, clinging to the rocks has to be done correctly:  As the waves approach, hug that rock tightly with your whole body like your life depends on it, and hold your head against the rock before the wave smashes it there for you.  The idea is to be like a starfish or an abalone, do not allow the water to get a grip on you.  If you can't get around behind the rock, try to find a hollowed out area or a bump out or anything that can weaken the hit before you take the hit
  • Keep that mask and snorkel on and in your mouth until you are high, dry and able to walk away.  It is what makes it possible to breath and see.
  • WRT #3 above, I am not inclined to drop my weight belt too quickly.  The weight belt is what makes it possible to drop below the rough stuff at the surface.  Once it's gone, there is no getting it back and then the person gets pushed around just like a cork at the surface.

Yes, that's a lot of pieces to put together, and that's why proper training and repetition are needed.  Starting with baby steps and gradually ramping things up is also a good idea.