Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thresher 140 review  (Read 4065 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I am looking to upgrade from my Tarpon 120 to a more ocean capable kayak. Alpinex loaned me his Thresher 140 to test paddle. I am comparing it to the Tarpon 140 and 130X I paddled at Albion. I took the Thresher out to Half Moon Bay just to paddle around a little and test stability. The conditions were predicted to be a bit rough. It seemed nicer than I expected. I'm not sure if the conditions were easier than expected or was the Thresher just that stable. I planned to paddle out of the harbor and encounter the predicted 6ft @ 8 sec, paddle around a bit and head back in. I ended up going out to the red can looking for rougher conditions. The whole time it seemed completely fishable.

After sitting in the kayak on my lawn I was worried about the comfort of having the center hatch pressing against my legs. As it turned out it helped with stability. If I leaned to my left I pressed the inside of my right thigh against the hatch which countered the lean and vise versa for the right lean. I could squeeze it with both legs almost like riding a horse. It seemed to help me feel more connected to the kayak. When I got back inside the harbor I played around moving on the kayak. I couldn't stand up. Between my gut, the wetsuit and PFD it just wasn't going to happen without a stand up strap. I was able to scoot up to the front and I was able to get onto my knees.

I like the center hatch for Rod storage. I don't plan to mount my FF on the pod however. I like to be able to adjust my FF on the water. With it mounted past my feet I would have to scoot forward every time. I'll probably put my battery and transducer on/in the pod and mount the screen to the slide trax. That will give me the best of both worlds. Easy reach of the controls, easy battery placement, good cable management and a protected location for the transducer that also allows direct water contact. However it's easier done this way with the Lowrance style cables that twist connect to the head unit. With my Humminbird the head unit would always be connected to the pod with a couple feet of wire. Not impossible I suppose, but a little less desirable.

All in all I was happy with the Thresher. I had a hard time judging it's speed. I think I was fighting the current on the way out. At the worst it is as least as good as my 120 I think. It has good options for easy rigging and storage. I plan to take it fishing next Saturday for another test run. I'll add some more thoughts after that.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Glad to hear the initial positive review!

The pod is great certainly for battery and scupper, I can understand concerns with the fish finder mounting though. I'm lucky in that I can reach it from the seated position, and like that it's not potentially in my way on the side of the kayak, maybe look into mounting on the center hatch rail and get the best of both worlds!

How was handling it? I know you were concerned with weight/awkwardness.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Glad to hear the initial positive review!

The pod is great certainly for battery and scupper, I can understand concerns with the fish finder mounting though. I'm lucky in that I can reach it from the seated position, and like that it's not potentially in my way on the side of the kayak, maybe look into mounting on the center hatch rail and get the best of both worlds!

How was handling it? I know you were concerned with weight/awkwardness.

The center hatch track is also a possible choice for mounting the FF. I'm not worried about it being in the way on the side since I've had mine there since I got my 120 with no problems.

I wasn't concerned about the handling of the Thresher so much. It only weighs 10lbs more than my Tarpon. Out on the ocean handling isn't a big consideration and that is the intended primary use. Several other kayaks I've considered are much heavier. The stability has been my biggest concern. Getting the stability I want without having to supersize the kayak.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I mounted my transducer at the bottom of the flexpod, put the battery inside, ran the cables through the top and put a ram ball on top of the pod so all i due is open the lid to charge the battery at home, plug the pod into the yak and mount the fishinder and plug in the wires when i'm setting up. Way easier than running wires and removing a battery every time.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Long before I was widerness prostaff I loved the thresher.... It is now my only SOT kayak I own. It is a great dive platform as well!  Any questions or want to try a model with a nice ray marine FF..... ken or anybody else just ask!

AOTY 2014

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I took the Thresher out for some fishing at timber cove. The kayak is borrowed so I don't have it set up with Rod holders and gear as I would my own. Still it showed its potential. The molded groove near the front hatch is a nice touch. It nicely held my Rod tip when I laid my Rod down to paddle. Also the design of the hatch allowed me to throw my hawg trough up on it without it falling off. I know I would like having the FF pod. It will be perfect for battery  and ducer placement. I would still put the FF on the slide trax. It would give me easier reach for the FF controls and I can adjust it when the sun is reflecting on the screen. Putting the FF on the rail also allows the center hatch to open farther for Rod insertion. I enjoyed having the large tub inside the center hatch. I was able to put lots of loose gear there for easy use. I'm pretty sure the gear trax on the center hatch will end up with a Rod holder or something useful. The seat is the same as my Tarpon 120 and is the best for a non lawn chair style. I put a gel cushion on mine and I can fish in comfort all day, and I do mean all day. I find it easier to sit side saddle in that seat compared to the lawn chair style. I was able to use the flush mount Rod holders behind the seat for my extra Rod and my net. I can see not using a crate which gives me more room for all the fish I'll catch. Three lings and some rockfish take up a lot of space. Later in the day the wind picked up. I took a wave over the side big enough to get my elbow wet. The Thepresher took it in stride. No sweat. Even without it being fully rigged I was able to catch 2 lings, 2 rockfish and assorted others that were released. I had a good day on the water. I would say the Thresher 140 is a fishing machine.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:39:10 AM by traildad »

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Great job on the thresher review.  I own and paddle a red thresher 155. Great kayak, a lot of features, more than i have been able to utilize.  Was planning to put 4 flush mounts behind seat, but ended up with 2, since i decided to pack light on most days.  The recessed groves on the front hatch are great for laying down your rod, even while paddling.

Hope you are happy with whatever you decide on.  You can do a search for my full review if you haven't done so already.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

anything