Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:46:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:40:53 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 09:03:55 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Native titan propel VS hobie PA. ???  (Read 7931 times)

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I been comparing the two and I'm definitely leaning toward the titan. But of course, I wanna exhaust every possible source of info before laying down this much hard earned cash.

Anyone have any input here? Is there any reason for me to choose the PA over the titan? I'm just seeing if I can be convinced to go to the dark side.

That titan is pretty sweet. This will be a tough one.
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Those are big investments for a kayak. I'd suggest testing both out in conditions you normally fish in before laying down that much cash. I'm not sure who will have them for demos but trying calling around, CCK or Headwaters would be who I called first.

Also I'm sure there are members here who will let you try out theres.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I guess it depends what type of fishing you want to do, and which one actually feels better to YOU on the water. The leg motions are very different. Does one or the other bother your knees? (I can pedal a Hobie all day, but circular motion of pedaling a bike often aggravates my knees).

You've really gotta try them both out.

Do you fish mostly freshwater, or salt? Do you usually have a buddy with you to load/unload/schlep your kayak? Or do you fish solo in areas that require you to shoulder the yak down a narrow path?

All things to consider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I mostly fish in the saltwater and see lots of Hobies but don't recall ever seeing a Native. Even if you think you're strictly a freshwater angler, you might want to keep open your options open for the future. Besides, who wants a boat named after the Titanic?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I mostly fish in the saltwater and see lots of Hobies but don't recall ever seeing a Native. Even if you think you're strictly a freshwater angler, you might want to keep open your options open for the future. Besides, who wants a boat named after the Titanic?
:smt005

“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I been comparing the two and I'm definitely leaning toward the titan. But of course, I wanna exhaust every possible source of info before laying down this much hard earned cash.

Anyone have any input here? Is there any reason for me to choose the PA over the titan? I'm just seeing if I can be convinced to go to the dark side.

That titan is pretty sweet. This will be a tough one.
What are you planning to fish for?  The Titan has some benefits over the PA, but the PA is better in other aspects.

Stability - wash, both are crazy stable.
Comfort - wash. both seats are fine
Fit and Finish - Hobie.  I think the PAs have a little better overall finish than the Titan.
Speed - Hobie.  I think the PA is slightly faster than the Titan.
Maneuverability - Titan.  It really does turn like a top.  Very maneuverable for a huge boat.
Space - Titan.  It has a ton of space.
Storage - kind of a wash here.  The Titan has an underseat storage locker thing, but I'm not personally sold on it.  Both kind of lack great storage options, although the PA has better rod storage in my opinion, and the rectangle hatch can be useful.
Rigging - Titan.    I do like that we have lots of geartrack instead of the H-rail. I don't personally like the H-rail system but I love tracks. (Primarily because of the cost of accessories are cheaper for track mounted and how much easier it is to remove items from tracks)
Reverse - Natives.  The Hobie reverse isn't nearly as intuitive or useful as the instant reverse of the Propel drive.
Shallow Water/Weeds - This is where our Propel drives struggle.  If you fish a lot of weedy areas you may have problems with the drive.  If you're like me, and rarely fish weedy areas, its not an issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I'm a fairly honest person, and am not biased one way or another towards the Titan.  It's a great boat, but so is the Pro Angler.  One benefit of the Titan is if you buy from our favorite Lodi shop, they're the best around at rigging, no other shop is even close to understanding rigging as well as they do.  From what I've been told, they're the only local dealer who has the Titan available for demo.

-bmb
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:06:32 PM by bmb »

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Both are behemoth boats.  This matters because if you can't solo a boat up and down a trail, then you can't put in there -- these beasts quickly eliminate many prime fishing locations.  I'm mostly a salt guy, so I can't imagine having 80% of my put-ins eliminated.

2nd, in the salt, the torque of the drive system really matters significantly and the edge goes to the Hobies because their fins have so much more surface area, which is quite an advantage when punching out through waves/surf.

As BMB noted, the H-Rail is spiffy but has issues.  I for one like the generic quality of the slotted tracks -- there are lots of options that work with these, including many DIY's.  I put 8020-inc double-slot tracks on my Hobie and am very pleased with them.

MolonLabe916

• Salmon
  • View Profile Knowledge is Power.
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I would mostly be doing fresh water fishing but I will definitely be doing some salt water fishing too. I mostly do solo missions. I'm new to NCKA and have yet to meet anyone on here and make more fishing buddies. I'm an XL guy so the bigger yaks are ideal for me. I was also looking at the WS Radar 135 PDL but I figured if I'm gonna be spending that much money, why not go all out?  I would definitely only be doing easy access launches anyway as that's what I do now.  I really like the idea of the instant reverse without having to do anything especially while bass fishing and also if I'm standing up I can just reach down and crank the pedals in reverse a few turns by hand instead of having to sit back down and pull a chord then pedal or have to pull the drive and flip it around.

I guess there's only really one way to make the decision. I've found a place to demo the hobie but not the titan.
Joe Mag. Green/black WS Radar 135.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

www.Freediveshop.com

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Headwaters should have the Titan for demo.  Contact them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Try to think ahead to when you're bored with the easy access fresh water spots you're fishing now and you're spending more time exploring new and interesting launches.

My recommendation would be to try a Hobie Outback first. You might like it. In my humble opinion, it's a much more versatile yak than the PA or Titan. 

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Try to think ahead to when you're bored with the easy access fresh water spots you're fishing now and you're spending more time exploring new and interesting launches.

My recommendation would be to try a Hobie Outback first. You might like it. In my humble opinion, it's a much more versatile yak than the PA or Titan. 

Or, he could just demo the Titan and PA like he wants to first, then decide for himself whether he wants to do something different.

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
^^ what's your opinion on comparing a hobie revo 13 180 vs manta ray 12 propel?
Which one would be better against swell?

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Or, he could just demo the Titan and PA like he wants to first, then decide for himself whether he wants to do something different.
He can do whatever he wants, of course. I was just sharing my recommendation, for what it's worth.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

+1

And if it's ultimate stability that you want, the sidekick amas could give you that.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Don't forget to try a slayer Propel if they still make them we love ours.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

anything