Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Permanently storing a Hobie PA 12 / 2018 Outback on the top of a car?  (Read 5670 times)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
by NwM:
<snipped> Any potential thief would be (justifiably) afraid of getting shot at by some crazy hillbilly.

Hmm, interesting statement  :smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Where I live, nobody would take my kayak if I left it in the middle of my drive unlocked. Any potential thief would be (justifiably) afraid of getting shot at by some crazy hillbilly. So, I think it all depends on where you live and park...
He said Bay Area, I’m guessing it would sprout legs!

What you mean “shot at” you better get some more practice  :smt044. I live in “hillbillyamook” county and all the gun toting rednecks around here don’t keep thefts down. Just saying! Crooks are going to crook no matter what good honest people do.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
So are you planning to park your vehicle on the street, driveway or parking spot... at your residence?
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
I think what everybody really wants to know is...what is your address?   :smt005

Just remember, a lock will only slow down a tweaker, but won't stop em. 
If you ain't first, you're last.

exhibita

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
A good lock will definitely prevent an opportunistic crime - I live in SF and keep my kayaks in a garage shared by multiple tenants, so I don't have complete control over access. We've had some smash and grab events inside the garage over the past couple of years, including bikes that had their U-locks defeated. To help me sleep better at night, I use a motorcycle-style cable locks to keep my kayaks tethered to the concrete walls.

This one:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HOGF0Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
barely fits through the rear scupper holes of my Trident, and easily runs through the drive well on my outback.

I've also brought this cable on trips and run it through my partially opened moonroof when I need to leave my kayak on my car unattended or overnight, but obviously, that comes with it's own issues/downside.

In the garage I use a stronghold anchor like this one on the wall:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF903M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my opinion, anything that tethers the kayak to the car would go a long way in the discouragement dept.

That being said, as Mojo pointed out, Crooks are gonna crook, you're not going to stop someone who shows up equipped to cut a quality lock, or bypass some other security measure, and then transport an 80+ lb. boat away from the scene, but in my hood, most smash and grabbers are just looking for something that will fit in their backpack that they can easily trade or sell.

Snazzyshun

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
My kayak has been on the top of my car for the past few weeks as it's a huge hassle to carry into my backyard and I've been fishing on it every weekend.

Only the hull is attached to the car with two cable locks for each bar. The drives, seat, and everything else fishing related stay inside the garage.

I figure if anyone would want to take the risk and effort to steal it, then lesson-be-learned for me. I'm out of a ~700 dollar hull.

You can take the risk. Just be as smart as you can about it and don't blame anyone but yourself if it happens.

if I'm not fishing I'm probably thinking about fishing

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Park in your driveway and it would be covered by homeowners or renters insurance...
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Theft is the only worry. My kayaks on the car a lot. There HAS been more than one attempt to steal it. I am in visual contact 90% of the time too!
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

freelancer27

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Yeah,
it is not the preferred way of course.

I would park it in front of my apartment or on a parking lot that is next to a 7/11. I would def. buy a couple of heavy locks to secure it, but nothing is safe of course...

SF is just too expensive to rent a garade or other spots to store a kayak. I would probably still need to get a insurance that would protect at least a little bit.

Inflatables are not an option, since I want to stand in the Kayak for Bass fishing..

Oh well, life is full of compromises and risks. ;)

exhibita

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Park in your driveway and it would be covered by homeowners or renters insurance...

Check with your homeowners insurance. I have Farmers and was unable to schedule my kayaks, they are not considered property and fall between a boat and a recreational vehicle so there was literally no category for me to add them to my coverage.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Inflatables are not an option, since I want to stand in the Kayak for Bass fishing..

Inflatables have come a long way.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
There are a couple of people near where I work that always have their kayaks on top of their cars. One is a Native Slayer Propel, and the other is a Hobie. The kayaks have been stored there for over a year.

Don’t forget about the extra height if you want to go in a parking garage or other structure.

I have insurance on my kayak that covers it, and up to $5,000 in gear. Cost about $150.00 a year through BoatUS-Geico
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Aside from the obvious theft,you would/could get some serious hull damage from warping and dents from being on the bars,i have a revo in my garage that i store on foam(3"thick)but i have some dents in the hull from the store however they had it stored
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Aside from the obvious theft,you would/could get some serious hull damage from warping and dents from being on the bars,i have a revo in my garage that i store on foam(3"thick)but i have some dents in the hull from the store however they had it stored

Those dents must be on the bottom? 

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Unless you have a clown car I don't see why you would need the extender. I carry a 16' kayak on a Subaru Outback from time to time and it is fine up there. I leave my 14' on top my truck year round, night and day, and it is fine for storage. I do live in a semi safe area and do not worry about theft also.
Yes, semi safe here also...I think I've had my kayak on van for 3 years...give or take a couple weeks.  I also have not convenient storage. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm