Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New pedal drive kayak - Lightning Kayaks - Strike  (Read 10353 times)

fishingsowong

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Is that the guy that got slapped in the face by a ling?! That sh*t was funny...

Yep.

andyoutdoors

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile https://www.youtube.com/user/a17dyjai
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Pretty interesting and price is very attracting.
2017 Hobie Revolution 13
2021 HooDoo Hero

IG: andyoutdoorssf

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Being that they are made by Lightening Kayaks here in MN I purchased one. I've known Robert for awhile so I will support his kayak design attempt at that price point . Seems like a decent kayak for the lake behind my house.

Once its delivered I'll write up a review.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Who the fuck is robert field?

:smt044

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-2018-lightning-kayaks-strike-foot-powered-fun#/

If you join the crowd fund at the highest level you can go on a guided "Field Trip" with him......maybe he'll show you around Santa Cruz lol.

I kinda like the design of this kayak, looks like a bass fisher of sho.   

Here's a better deal:  give me a bunch of money, and I'll treat you to a "Bush-Trip!"

Bouché

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
"A storm is brewing, and adventure awaits"  lol :smt044

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Robert Fields is a guy who gave up the professional world and concentrated all his efforts promoting his new lifestyle of being a full time kayak fishing/Ambassador.

I met him back in 2013 at one of our Texas HOW events since he worked at Mariner Sails in Dallas at the time. Nice fun guy to fish with. He has been out and about doing what he loves and I hope continued success in all that he does for the sport of kayak fishing.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Bushy

• Administrator
My chiseled looks and a whole year of experience should convince you!

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
This is my quick review of the Lightning Strike by Lightning Kayaks (Accent Paddles).

In December Robert Field announced an Indiegogo campaign for the Lightning Strike kayak (designed by anglers for anglers). A fin drive kayak at a $1399 price point (retail $1749) I decided to fund the Indiegogo and ended up purchasing the first one. Being in MN now, the lakes were frozen so I waited until the thaw to take delivery. I actually went and picked it up since Accent Paddles is under 20 miles from me.

Harry and I have taken the kayak out on the lake behind my house.

Specs:
L: 12'6"
W: 34"
Weight: 82 lbs fitted, 94 rigged
Capacity: 415 lbs

Tri-Hull design with the middle hull a little lower than the sides. It cuts the water and tracks well.
Retractable rudder under the hull in the back.
Large from hatch for storage
2 preset flush mount rod holders behind the seat
Basic lawnchair seat with minimal adjustments. Can be set to low, medium and high.
2 Universal mounting tracks
"Freedom drive" Fin drive
Circle hatch for storage at your feet.
Plate in the tank well that can be removed for a circle hatch.
Mounting plate on button for a protected transducer (not sure its large enough for a side scan transducer).

Stability: I rocked it pretty hard to see if I could reach its tipping point but I didn't reach the tipping point. I stood up with no effort and felt as if i could sight-cast all day without issue.

Speed: The fin drive does not have turbo fins, however its the same drive as the V1 Hobie drives that can have the turbo fins added. With the current fins I could cruise around at 4 mph with normal effort. When I pushed it I would get to 5 mph. Paddling it cut the water much better than the Outbacks I have been in.

Turn/tracking: The turn radius was around a 15' circle. The kayak responded quickly to both left and right on the rudder control. There was a little play in the rudder handle. When going straight the kayak tracked well and stayed on course without having to correct.

Fish Finder mounting: While there is a plate that can be removed and remounted with the wires coming up to the top of the deck through a scupper hole you will need to use the Hobie wiring kit to drill holes and run wires inside the deck and out to mount the Fish finder head.

Scuppers: There are 4 scuppers (not including the one for the fish finder. The 2 rear most scuppers are reinforced to handle a scupper hole kart.

Not so great: The seat is pretty basic with regards to adjustment. You can adjust the backrest to sit straighter or recline. The seat position is either low, medium or high; It's not independently adjustable. For instance I could not put the front high and the back low. The backrest adjustment straps have plastic buckles that I would get changed to metal ones for durability. The seat is lacking lumbar support. There may be a better replacement seat that would work. All of the bolts on my seat are facing the wrong way; 2 are rubbing on the plastic. I'll have to reverse those or they will wear a hole through the side deck.

The kayak is priced to compete with other low end pedal kayaks (under $2000) such as the Pescador pilot, Old Town Top Water, Native Manta Ray and Hobie Compass.

Compared to the Pescador I tried out, the Strike is a much better kayak. I would put it on par with the Hobie Compass. The Compass comes with Turbo fins and paddle for $250 more if the retail price on the Strike stays the same @ $1750. Adding the turbo fins and a paddle to the strike will pretty much equal the kayaks out.

The question almost everyone asked me: "Would you take the Lightning Strike on the Ocean?" Yes, yes I would. I fell the stability, speed, paddling tracking and low seat settings make it a nice starter kayak for the Ocean.

My Conclusion: For a low end kayak it's great. It should do well against those looking to buy a peddle kayak for under $2000. For most looking to be in this price point it's going to come down to either brand loyalty or style. Once they start getting out to dealers I suggest as always Demo Demo Demo and choose for yourself. As for me I am very happy with the Lightning Strike and would use it over a Hobie Compass.  If I could change one thing I would raise the price to $1900 and add a paddle and Turbo fins.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:13:11 PM by Dannarchy »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Great review! Thanks for the info.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Bushy

• Administrator
Good Job thanks! 

Bushy

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
 Hey Dan
Nice review !!
Harry’s lookin good, no green hair though  :smt003
Hope the land of 10,000 lakes is treating ya well!
Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420