Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:44:41 PM]

[Today at 03:10:47 PM]

[Today at 02:24:53 PM]

[Today at 02:05:51 PM]

[Today at 01:19:27 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ocean Kayak T13 mod pod mod  (Read 7024 times)

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Mod pod mod.  I want to modify my mod pod...? YEP  I would like to get rid of the straps and use something like the Ultra 4.7 and 4.3 have which is a kind of rubber fastener that just clips on each side, making it quicker and easier to get inside.  Has anyone done this?  I think a simple fix would be to use a bungee cord.  I could possibly use just one long one.  Bungee cord hooks will be on one side of the mod pod and I can take the middle of the cord over and across the mod pod and hook it to something on the other side.   
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:03:00 AM by Dray »
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
There is probably a thousand ways you could do something like this, but it sounds like you're on the right track. The "something on the other side" should probably be something like a nice round aluminum, stainless or plastic knob. Something rounded enough that it would be easy to slide the bungee over, but with enough lip to hold it in place.

Having a fabric 'tab' on the middle of the bungee would help pull it over the knob.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I prefer the Trident straps over the Ultra locking rubber thingies. Maybe it's just the placement/location of them...but after a long day OTW they get annoying as they rub against my legs. I wish the whole modpod was about 5" further forward (away from the seat). Especially on hot sunny days while wearing board shorts!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
When you get it done be sure to post up a pic.  I need ideas too. Something you could do with one hand. But needs to be a positive lock, you don't want that lid coming open in a yard sale.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Probably more than what you are looking to do...but after having an OK 15 and 2 Jk Cuda14s with the center hatch that opened to the side I have been really stoked on my Kraken's hatch that opens forward...way nice to just prop it up and leave it there and not have it laying to the side on my legs etc....

No clue how hard it would be to do but just throwing the opening forward idea out there in case you wanted to take your mod pod mod one step further.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I hinged my cuda.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I prefer the Trident straps over the Ultra locking rubber thingies. Maybe it's just the placement/location of them...but after a long day OTW they get annoying as they rub against my legs. I wish the whole modpod was about 5" further forward (away from the seat). Especially on hot sunny days while wearing board shorts!

It's already happened. Coming soon.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey guys, this is what I've done so far. 
Got the tool bag out but only needed the short stubby philips screwdriver.
These are the straps I want to replace
The straps are held on by these screws.  I removed the screws and straps.
Replaced straps with J hooks and fastened with original screws and washers
Here is a fuzzy picture of J hook with the mod pod above.
And the final product.  I had this bungee cord laying around so I used it.  I'll likely replace with 2 smaller ones.  The larger one doesn't secure the front area good enough.  I will continue to refine and test on the water and will post again later the results.  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:24:12 AM by Dray »
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I went and bought a bunch of bungees at Walmart for about $12.  In the container were 4 of these bungees for tarps I think.  They work great.  I fastened it to the hull with the attached screws so they don't get lost and I loop them around a zig zag cleat I already had mounted to the modpod.  I also realized they can double for holding my rods down during a surf launch.  Check it out.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:10:28 AM by Dray »

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
seems like you can get your pants caught with that piece in the middle. also why not put the rods inside the kayak during a surf launch? you don't want to have crap in the way and somehow get attached to your rods while you yard sale. just my 2 cents

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Looks cool but I would second the thought of being extremely careful having the cleat there where it could get hung up on you. The scariest incident I've ever had on a kayak was getting dumped in a river and having my strap of my pfd get caught on a tiny cleat hook. With my kayak upside down I was now strapped to the bottom side of the yak. My PDF straps weren't overly loose but it got caught when I slipped over the side. I had to ditch my Pfd to get out from under the yak. Now I am done with every leash clip whatever that isnt necessary. If it doesn't float let it sink is my motto. I even quit leashing my shotgun till I can make a better setup.

Just remember if you get tipped as you are sliding off you are gonna be sliding over that clear so watch out for loose clothing, straps ect.. I do like the creativity of the bungees though. I also don't feel like the factory webbing straps make a snug fit. The ones on my sons trident seem to loosen over time

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
seems like you can get your pants caught with that piece in the middle. also why not put the rods inside the kayak during a surf launch? you don't want to have crap in the way and somehow get attached to your rods while you yard sale. just my 2 cents
I will actually put the rods that break down in the kayak for surf launches.  The 7 foot tiger rod is one piece and difficult to put inside.  It's possible though and if conditions were rough enough I would move things around and stow all my rods inside for the launch/landing.  OR not go out at all.   

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks cool but I would second the thought of being extremely careful having the cleat there where it could get hung up on you. The scariest incident I've ever had on a kayak was getting dumped in a river and having my strap of my pfd get caught on a tiny cleat hook. With my kayak upside down I was now strapped to the bottom side of the yak. My PDF straps weren't overly loose but it got caught when I slipped over the side. I had to ditch my Pfd to get out from under the yak. Now I am done with every leash clip whatever that isnt necessary. If it doesn't float let it sink is my motto. I even quit leashing my shotgun till I can make a better setup.

Just remember if you get tipped as you are sliding off you are gonna be sliding over that clear so watch out for loose clothing, straps ect.. I do like the creativity of the bungees though. I also don't feel like the factory webbing straps make a snug fit. The ones on my sons trident seem to loosen over time

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll consider not wearing my pfd because it is too dangerous.  Kidding!  One of the things I learned when practicing self recovery was that it's a whole lot easier if the deck is not cluttered with stuff like rod holders, cleats, etc.  Its one of the reasons I did this mod.  I want to stow things under the mod pod and out of the way.  I agree that making things float is better than leashes all over the place.   

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Where did you get the little hooks?

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Where did you get the little hooks?
I got the little hooks at Walmart too.   :smt003  The Walmart near where I live carry some basic kayaking and boating gear.  The hooks came in a small box of misc hooks for kayaks.

anything