Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:53:24 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 11:32:34 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 05:54:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HMB Crab Newb  (Read 1205 times)

forumname

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hey everyone, after getting pretty much skunked at on the crab opener at Bodega, I'm looking to potentially try crabbing at HMB for the first time.

Does anybody have any baseline tips they can share in terms of where to launch, where to drop traps, etc? Are there crabs inside the jaws or do you have to go out further than that? I've never been to HMB before but I've seen the positive crabbing reports lately so I think it's time. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you are comfortable with surf entries you are better off at Linda Mar.  Just go straight to 70 feet deep and drop. Check it after 10 minutes if you have any rock crab move. 

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
There are a bunch of old posts regarding HMB.  They'll talk about where to park, launch, and most importantly, where the danger areas are. 

Also know that the wind typically comes up (and builds quickly) in the afternoon, and it can be a helluva paddle back to the jaws, especially when loaded with crab and gear.  And there's a juvenile GWS that's been seen a couple times this year in shallow water (although they're probably always there). 

The Cliff Notes are.... don't set your pots inside the harbor, don't set your pots near the jaws, don't set your pots in the lane, don't set your pots near the buoys, and don't set your pots on top of someone else's.   :smt003   
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

achu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
There are a bunch of old posts regarding HMB.  They'll talk about where to park, launch, and most importantly, where the danger areas are. 

Also know that the wind typically comes up (and builds quickly) in the afternoon, and it can be a helluva paddle back to the jaws, especially when loaded with crab and gear.  And there's a juvenile GWS that's been seen a couple times this year in shallow water (although they're probably always there). 

The Cliff Notes are.... don't set your pots inside the harbor, don't set your pots near the jaws, don't set your pots in the lane, don't set your pots near the buoys, and don't set your pots on top of someone else's.   :smt003
Hi Mark,

I searched the old posts, but, couldn’t find the danger area in HMB.  How would one search for it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I went on Thanksgiving day with my friend.  He had a pretty small kayak so we didn't stray too far from jaws.

We caught 4 red rock crabs.  No dungies.  Mostly small ones out of hoop nets, and the keepers came from my cage.

Anyways it was my first time at HMB. Next time I'm going to go farther South.

Anyone like using those conical/deluxe hoop nets?  Something like a promar eclipe?

I'm realizing that I can't fit too many crab cages as it gets really heavy.  I like hoop nets too but thought maybe the eclipse would be a good in between.

PortageeYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Hoop nets don't work too well for dungies because they run off of them really quickly. I have been crabbin all my life. When we switched to pots we slayed them. They have some awesome collapsible crab pots that are super light weight and great for kayaks. I was there yesterday and limited out in only 50-60ft of water. The jetty always produces a ton of rock crabs. Sounds like good times. Be safe!

Thanks,
PY
Where there is a Portagee there is fish!!!

gentlemanscholar

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks for posting this - lots of useful info.

anything