Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:01:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AI: today I learned something...  (Read 2790 times)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Went to Coyote Pt. , fairly strong 20 kts wind with not huge, but very short waves.

Here's a quick teaser, with more details below
1. I almost capsized.
2. My port front AKA disconnected and AMA went under haul
3. I still got about gallon  of water even though I installed new seal (and it seemed to work!)

Now, if I got your attention.. ;)

Swell was just a bit too much, mostly b/c period was very short (like 3-4 sec). Overall, not as nasty as when I went to see USS Thompson (https://www.instagram.com/p/BD-DG7LSmzk/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/BD-CWQ9Smyq/ ), but then I learned something, so today I immediately reefed sail.

Still, even though I was steady moving on a close reach I felt like submarine all the time, and the fact I just installed new seal did not help to feel too comfortable.

So, I went closer to shore to meet fellow windsurfer, and when I saw him at distance I reached for camera. This is where things started getting ugly.

1. By this time I was hiking on starboard trampoline, running, sail was roughly 50% reefed (which, I think, saved me). When I reached for camera I stopped paying attention for just couple of seconds and, I think, several things have happened:
- boat started turning leeward and
- jibed, which put extra pressure on a starboard (where I was seating on trampoline)
- wave came in and

suddenly my starboard AMA was way under water and port AMA was just at the top (well, probably it was not as dramatic, and, of course, it all took like 2 sec, so who knows what exactly happened)

Anyways, I crawled under sail,  standing almost vertically, putting pressure on a port AMA - and, luckily, it went back.

Lessons reiterated:
- jibe is dangerous not only b/c of boom
- be extra careful when hiking while running (see video above, today was very similar run)

2. Later on, coming back to port I realized that pedals are not moving. 10 sec later, after I moved drive out and then back I realized that I don't see port AMA. It, with front AKA, went under haul! No idea what has happened (though, of course, there are bunch of stories of AKA disconnecting)

Mitigation:
- trampoline is supposedly helping (I only had one - starboard - trampoline deployed)
- HAKA is supposedly helping (I have HAKA, but did not try it yet)
- keep-out safety line (ironically I was just reading about it 2 days ago on a hobie forum)

3. I did this:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=46308
and, I think, it has helped with front hatch - at least my drybag I had there did not look too wet). Still, about gallon of water in the haul (granted, I was *under* water for big chunk of time)

Not sure how helpful this is, just thought that maybe not everyone is reading hobie forum and this could become handy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:39:09 PM by sebast »
2015 TI
2017 Outback

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
1. By this time I was hiking on starboard trampoline, running, sail was roughly 50% reefed (which, I think, saved me). When I reached for camera I stopped paying attention for just couple of seconds and, I think, several things have happened:
- boat started turning leeward and
- jibed, which put windward  pressure on a starboard (where I was seating on trampoline)
- wave came in and

Did you mean you went from a starboard run to a port run?

To prevent accidental jibes when you are on a run, you have to keep an eye on the sail at all times. Or sail higher up to a deep broad reach.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes and yes.

Regarding broad reach. It's not really comfortable in AI even with 3-4 ft swell. I.e. yes, it gives more margin , but it's a heck of a bumpy ride
2015 TI
2017 Outback

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Nice report, Sebastian. So where is the water coming in? The front hatch sounds secure. Bad seal on the center hatch? Crossthreaded drain plugs in the back? Or, maybe the rudder line holes?
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice report, Sebastian. So where is the water coming in? The front hatch sounds secure. Bad seal on the center hatch? Crossthreaded drain plugs in the back? Or, maybe the rudder line holes?

No idea, need to do some testing  (and I'm still not 100% positive it's not front hatch, though it looks so). I guess I'll need to glue some paper to all hatches and here and there ;)
2015 TI
2017 Outback

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Glad everything came out okay.  I did not understand half the stuff you sail guys are talking about. Hope to see you tomorrow otw!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
2015 TI
2017 Outback

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Glad everything came out okay.  I did not understand half the stuff you sail guys are talking about. Hope to see you tomorrow otw!

That't the whole idea, Bob, speaking in code ;) Still thinking about tomorrow, a bit too choppy .
2015 TI
2017 Outback

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Monday Sail anyone? :smt003
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Monday Sail anyone? :smt003

I will likely go out on Monday - either fishing  (HMB?) or sailing .
2015 TI
2017 Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'd bet the water is still getting in thru the front hatch. I don't have an AI, just the "A" with no "I". From experience and what I've seen on the Hobie forum, it seems like the front hatch is almost always the culprit. I've been thinking of trying the "shower cap" approach:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52868

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

+ 1 I am kinda lost too about the details of your report.   Your videos shows 2 tramps deployed but you wrote you had only one.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:53:56 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
 videos are from earlier trip. But it's sonewhat similar - in both cases I was on a tramp.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Yes, Sebast, this is helpful and interesting to know about the AI experience (because I don't have one). Speaking from Hobie 18 perspective when you're running, sometimes you're standing on the transom as nosing in is the most common way to pitch pole. And although its a bumpy ride, in catamarans, broad reach is normally (much) faster downwind than a run (and less dangerous)...Keep sharing.