Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GPS Recomendations  (Read 3146 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I managed to get the christmas shopping done and under budget so I  decided I'm gonna get myself a handheld gps unit.  I know very little about gps features so I need some advice.  I'm trying to stay under $200.  Whats everyone else using? What should I look for as far as features go? Waas enabled? Will I need to purchase additional maps/software?  Thanks

Art
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have a garmin rino 120 and like it quite a bit.  It has an integrated GMRS, FRS radio so you can BS with other guys or people on the shore with it.  

It's kind of hard to use the GPS on a kayak since it requires a hand or two to operate.  I actually use it much more when I'm driving and traveling than when I'm fishing.  On a larger boat with more range I think they'd be alot more effective, but generally my FF tells me what I need to know.  IMO the most important thing it can do, for a kayaker, is get you right to the safe landing in a zero-vis fog.  Mark the beach before you depart...  I keep meaning to mark places where I catch a fish, hoping the markers will form a helpful pattern over time, but with a fish aboard and the urge to get the jig back down as soon as possible for another fish on the hot rock I usually don't.

Also, be careful with these, the screen on mine was damaged somehow in the airplane/airport, not sure if it was x-rays or maybe cold, but it's only half as bright after my flight home on thanksgiving.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I went to look at my gps after talking about it and found it isn't damaged.  When you tap the power button to bring up the menu for the backlight (up and down on the joystick), side to side on the joystick adjusts the contrast...  I guess fumbling around with it in the dark at 4am trying to turn on the light to see to get a heading on my deerstand I lowered the contrast accidentally.  Sweet.

About the maps, my unit came with a quite adequate map, including all the major roads (usually has a road within 5 miles of you) and a reasonable approximation of the shoreline.  Granted there's times I've been paddling on what it thought was land and parking in the ocean, but it's within a quarter mile.  It also has all the navigational bouys, such as the santa cruz mile bouy.  The software is incredibly expensive, I downloaded a few hacked things when I first got the GPS, but I've never been motivated to figure out how to use them and the PC link cable is still in it's wrapper.  I guess if you connect it to a laptop, it'll work with the PC software to make your computer the mother of all GPS systems and allow you to load a bunch of waypoints from GPS coords of reefs and landmarks easier.  I guess you can get a more accurate representation of the shoreline too, but seriously, it's not useful past the 'cool factor'.

She's been dunked a few times and splashed more than a few times.  They're not 'no worry' waterproof and the contacts in the battery compartment corroded and needed some polishing, but the rest of it is cast in a chunk of silicone and seems resilient.  I keep it in a plastic bag now and just push the buttons through the plastic, that should keep it alive for a bit longer in the kayak environment.

If the rest of the garmins have the same SW and maps, I'd highly suggest them.

Anonymous

Thanks.  Getting lost in the fog and finding my launch was my primary concern.  I get nervous when it starts rolling in thick.  I have a compass but figured it wasn't enough if I'm fishing around points or have to pass rock outcroppings or other hazards.  Also thought it'd be nice to mark the channels in the bay for when I target dinos or when I drop a crab pot in HMB.  How accurate are they in general?  Are these legitimate expectations for my price range?

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Above post was me.

Art

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
It'll get you home in the fog no problem, and is good for telling you how far offshore you are, and your speed.  The maps are pretty good, though the garmin ones only have 60 and 300ft contours with a spattering of spot depths.  You need to buy unlock keys to upload the maps to the GPS, but seriously, there's only a few lines and depth readings in a few square mile area you'd be kayaking in, more in the bays.  You can mark waypoints over those readings and upload them to re-create the part of the map you'd be using...  

Mine will get me within 20ft, and that's plenty good for fishing and navigation.  You'll be closer to your crab pot or anchor than the variation due to the current with the rope.  IMO, they're worth getting just to use in the car.  You always know where you are.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I would go with an inexpensive model.  From my experience with my Sporttrac (lower end Magellin model), the installed base map is fine when fishing so close to shore.

Like most of you, I picked it up to make sure I can find my way home when fishing on those foggy days.  It worked well in July when the fog rolled in when fishing Moss Landing.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Mine has an alarm set for the petaluma exit on the way to fort ross.  I regularly blow through that one....

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Art, I've been playing with 2 compact handhelds this past week.

The first is the new Magellan Explorist 200 for around $149.  It's very accurate and super easy to use, but only uses its own basic base map.  No PC interface, so there's no way to load more detailed maps.

The other one (which I ended up keeping) is the Garmin Etrex Legend for around $169.  It's similar to the Explorist 200, but you can load new maps, tracks more data, and even has a 'best times to hunt and fish' function which is kinda cool.

For kayaking, either should be just fine since I mainly want to use it to find my way in the fog, and mark some fishing holes, and find my crab pots.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks guys, I went with the etrex legend.

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I got an etrex legand for xmas as well.  I guess they really dont want me to get lost in the fog.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I asked for a gps for christmas and all I got was dirty looks........ :smt010

anything