Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: trolling or mooching (for salmon)  (Read 10980 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Which do you prefer and why? What set up do you use for each method?

I only troll when ocean conditions are calm (or if the fish are within 30 feet of water). I troll with a pink lady diver, flashers and a rainbow colored apex. This year, I plan to experiment trolling bigger crankbaits (anchovy pattern) and also a Krocodile spoon.

I prefer mooching or "trooching" in and around the baitballs. Having to "feel" the bite really keeps me in the game. There's nothing like feeling the weight of the fish come on while you have the rod in your hand  :smt023 . I also plan to fly-line at Linda Mar this year (since it's such a shallow bite) - I'm just hoping that the bite will be epic!

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Joel,

Mooching.  
Why?  Because I don't like to paddle and I'd rather fight a fish on a lighter rod.

Hope to get out on the water with you guys one of these day.  I'm getting jealous reading all those reports.

Stuart

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Joel,

Typically early season all the boats troll.  1. to cover more water 2. because it is a krill bite.  The fish are more or less scattered.  Something red in color usually works.  Red Crocks, water melon apexs.  But, I have gotten them on Green and Blue Crocks.  Also, at this time of year.

After, the anchovies come in.  That is when everyone starts mooching.

I have also, seen where the Salmon what the bait moving.  This is when your motor mooching or yo yoing you bait works.

I would bring both (trolling and mooching set-up).  I remember that time I only had my trolling set-up at Linda Mar and you guys got (Fred, Stu, Eric, Chuck, Kevin and you) them mooching.

Mooching is defintely more fun.  Harry on the New Seeker always tries to mooch.  But, sometimes ends up trolling because of the conditions.

Ken

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Hope to get out on the water with you guys one of these day. I'm getting jealous reading all those reports.

Stu - we miss your company out there! Fred and Kevin too......well....maybe not Fred....he always makes me feel like an inferior fisherman  :smt011  just kidding Freddy  :smt056

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I didn't land any, but I had a bunch of bites and a couple brief hookups.  They almost always hit when I was mooching and paddling around slowly in a stop and go fashion.

IMO, very slow trolling with an inobtrusive trolling rig like a bullet rotator and a ~4oz weight on a release should be the best way to go because you can use J hooks.

I found salmon fishing alot more frustrating than any other kind of fishing.  It really sucks when the hot bite turns out to be a couple miles away, or you have to paddle around all morning to find a bait ball.  That leaves me sitting around being angry at DFG for marginalizing kayakers, and generally not enjoying myself.  This year I'm going to focus on the loopholes that will let me do what I do best, rather than play a game where the deck is stacked against me.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I caught my first 2 salmon ever mooching at Moss Landing.  After that I don't think I got even a bite mooching.

I mostly trolled at Linda Mar with good success.  I used a flasher/sinker release, an ultra lite (trout) flasher and Apex (Sting King).  Usually used between 8 and 10oz when trolling, but the fish were pretty shallow.

I tried a deep6 diver w/o luck, so I'm sticking with the release.  Easier to gauge depth...

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I mostly troll because I'm impatient and I like the workout of paddling and I don't (didn't!) have a fish finder. Mostly a rotary with a flasher behind a deep six, sometimes the big one. A lot of work, which in my Christian ethic makes me think I'm more likely to catch something... Oh, the thing that made me start trolling a few years ago was the kingfish or herring or whatever - also the reason I like to paddle way out yonder. When the bite's hot you can troll your brother's brassiere and you'll probably hook up. My friend caught one this past summer when his rotary was floating on the surface next to his yak.
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

cpyak

i watched joel catch way more salmon mooching than trolling!  he used a special technique last summer,  but he swore me to secrecy.

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yeah,

He told me the secret also.  Had some thing to do with sacrificing a virgin and not having sex during the salmon run at Linda Mar.

Ken

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Ahhhh... you must be talking about Joel's secret sauce -- Liquid Krill :smt019
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i guess you were not sworn to secrecy.  maybe that product needs a sales rep, that would be a good job for joel.  he needs to work for a tackle or kayak company.
note-my camper shell and kayak rack will be installed today, i will be back on the water soon.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
gentlemen.....joel is an open book...he holds no secrets...... :kick

Ken - sex is vital. Getting it is another story  :smt025

Uncle Bill...we need more emoticons....work on it will ya... :smt024

peace out.

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Joel gets his liquid krill  at Bass Pro Shops.  But, I did not tell you this. And, there is no way it can be traced back to me.

Ken

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Liquid krill, isn't that what bugga-ung is more or less?
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Josh, you nailed it!   You must know some Filipinos in order to know that stinky stuff.  Some entrepreneur is probably buying jars of it at Asian food stores and repackaging for sale to gullible fishermen like Joel.
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

anything