Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak fishing inside of Pillar Point Harbor?  (Read 7998 times)

Rc4jw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I just posted about wanting to find a good spot in the delta to fish and kayak. Does anybody know if you can fish from your kayak inside of the Pillar Point Harbor?  I was thinking out along the rock walls from the inside of the harbor may be good to try. Also does anybody know if you can launch inside the harbor and then get out to the open bay or do you have to launch outside of the harbor if you want to fish the bay? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Pompano120

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
it's like watching paint dry if you fish inside Pillar Point Harbor. my best advice to you guys are to practice paddling. get used to the tipping point of your yaks,  practice self rescue and join a hookup group and head out to open waters. oh and one thing. beware of the landlord.. j/k..

but do prepare for sea sick cause kayaking in delta and lakes are not the same as ocean.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
During the commercial crab season, I hear the commies cull their crab inside the harbor and throw excess overboard.  Crabbing inside may be productive later, after the commies start crabbing.  Also, I've heard rumors of halibut inside the harbor...
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
During the commercial crab season, I hear the commies cull their crab inside the harbor and throw excess overboard.  Crabbing inside may be productive later, after the commies start crabbing.  Also, I've heard rumors of halibut inside the harbor...

Rumors? What is this House Wives of Silicon Valley?
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
If your target species is kingfish/croakers, then squid tipped on a bare jig head will get you some action.  Also, occasionally get flooded with baitfish, like chovies where you can jig up by the bucketload.

Otherwise, PPH is not likely to be productive, generally speaking.  Freak conditions/circumstances may alter your yield. 

Ghan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
I just posted about wanting to find a good spot in the delta to fish and kayak. Does anybody know if you can fish from your kayak inside of the Pillar Point Harbor?  I was thinking out along the rock walls from the inside of the harbor may be good to try. Also does anybody know if you can launch inside the harbor and then get out to the open bay or do you have to launch outside of the harbor if you want to fish the bay? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Yes you can launch in the harbor and then get out to the open bay.  Two good places to launch are Half Moon Bay Kayaks beach and the beach next to the old pier.  Check google earth to locate them.
As you leave the "jaws" head south to the first green buoy.  There's King's  rock to your right as you head to the green buoy, STAY AWAY! To shallow and sometimes has big breakers.

Gary - Hobie Revo 13, AI
Never right side up or upside down.  Is this real or am I dreaming.

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Also heard leopard sharks swim up into the shallow bach area by the old pier.  If you're into that kind of stuff, but might not be in season right now. Check regs. For leopards in the ocean. I know the s.f. bay is open year round.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Go fishing you troll!!!

"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Go fishing you troll!!!

Go diving you House Wife  I mean Puto :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Lots of salmon in the harbor right now!

Trick would be getting them to bite. I've been wondering about trying some brackish water tactics. Silvertron spinners maybe or quick fish?

Something that will piss me off and make them bite but I don't know much about freshwater salmon.

-Eliot

Rc4jw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the responses.  I definitely plan on practicing some self rescue before heading out into the open. I am not to worried about sea sickness as I grew up boating and float tubing on a very large lake. Not the ocean but waves of 10 feet+ were fairly common in bad weather which just happened to be the best fishing for huge Kamloops. Record wave height of 22 feet as far as I know came last summer when we were on. I planned a boat in camping trip for that day but as luck would have it my boat wouldn't start. Probably a good thing as I am sure it would have sunk my boat. We may try discovery bay this weekend and see how we do. Thanks again for all the help guys.

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

:jawdrop  Already!?!  Inside the harbor so soon?
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
As the bait fish (chovies) move into the harbor, halibut also follow them in...

If you decide to fish inside the harbor, please make sure you stay out of the main boating lanes; and stay away from the jaws, unless you are going in/out of the harbor.

We wanna make sure we maintain the peace between the powerboaters  :smt003

The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Rc4jw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think I may try the harbor since I don't quite feel comfortable going out into open water yet. It is a good chance for me to get more time in the kayak. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and land a salmon or something. I will definitely stay well clear of the boat lanes. Also do you guys think a fishfinder is a must have before going out into the open water. I plan on getting one asap as I definitely want to know how deep the water is and how where the fish are.

C K

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

Trick would be getting them to bite. I've been wondering about trying some brackish water tactics. Silvertron spinners maybe or quick fish?

Something that will piss me off and make them bite but I don't know much about freshwater salmon.

-Eliot
Where did you get the reports for salmon inside pph?
Thanks
John