Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:59:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:40:20 PM]

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: REPORT+Vid (New favorite spot) 11/18/18  (Read 1570 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Brian and I were set to yak dive yesterday but his sinuses were messing with him morning of so I decided to paddle out solo. It was about a 5mi paddle round trip but I couldn't help to keep exploring, it was such a nice day despite huge sketchy rollers smashing into cliffs. Navigating the swell was definitely a challenge but it was so worth it when I finally clipped up to kelp, suited up and hopped in. I had no idea how deep this new spot was and I couldn't get close enough to the shallow kelp because of the waves so I was stoked to find I was over some pinnacles going from 30-50'. Visibility was 30' +/- 10' depending on where I was at and how close I got to the exposed rocks. Knowing we're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the GWS bite not too far from where I was, I decided to wear my shock shield. I was immediately in a huge school of blues and some had decent size to them. I covered a ton of ground thanks to how bad the current was ripping in some areas. I've never before felt like I was swimming in a river with how strongly I was being pulled. This place was super fishy. Several small to medium lings, one of which almost let me catch it by hand. I also saw something I've never seen before. A HUGE 30 foot wall of bait ball and a school of at least 200 blues attacking it like tuna! There was a boil, with birds smacking the water. It was unreal to watch under water. I was so mesmerized as I was holding a bull kelp stalk in about 25 fow that I forgot I needed air! It lasted about 1.5 minutes and then just like that the bait ball was gone and only an aftermath of tens of thousands of scales left sparkling around in the water. Too bad my gopro battery was dead by that point. But I still got some good footage of stalking a ling (scared it out of a hole then shot it), a different ling trying to eat my blue, and another different ling I nearly punched. Here is a quick video and some pics. I also randomly came across a dad and 2 sons in the water. I was stoked thinking I ran into Antonio and silent hunter... ended up being some other dude. He was a great diver, deep dives and good bottom time... I wonder if anyone here knows who it was? Note to self: I have a TON of footage from 2018 that I should do a big video with... I just never commit to more than screenshots! haha one day.

VIDEO HERE

That's a pretty big blue, not far from my PB :)

Line up - minus the ling because I already cleaned it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:36:12 PM by TheKeeneroo »
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Nice vid and no it wasn't me. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy dad feeding my kids to the sharks  :smt005

Funny had a small ling pestering my blues too  :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Snipeworm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Thanks for the video!  Inspiring me to try my hand at spear fishing!  Is there a local spear fishing forum?  I checked out NorCal underwater hunters but there is hardly any activity on that sight.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Thanks for the video!  Inspiring me to try my hand at spear fishing!  Is there a local spear fishing forum?  I checked out NorCal underwater hunters but there is hardly any activity on that sight.

Spearingforum.com is another one but it's mostly central and socal guys. NCUH is still a useful platform for posting dives and finding people to dive with. Now that AB season is closed, Matt Mattison (the guy who started it) is hardly on it and likes to dirt bike a ton instead of dive as much so I'm guessing thats a big part of why there is less activity on the site, but I do know that lots of people still view it. You will certainly find someone to take you out diving - just make sure they know your new at it. I'd be happy to take you out as well and have almost all the gear you need (rent the rest from bamboo reef in monterey - mention me and you might get hooked up too)  :smt007
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Snipeworm

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Thanks for the Intel!  I would really like to try diving with some experienced person like yourself.  I will be getting more comfortable in the water over December and hopefully be ready to try my hand at spearing fish in January.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Nice report and vid too!
Looks like you had nice visibility, congrats!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

mldavis

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Eric,
Great report & video. When I eventually get a kayak set up....we'll have to have a newb kayak dive. lol.

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Thanks for the video(s)!  I love watching them and seeing all the fish/biodiversity.... and then realizing that for all that bounty, they hardly bite my damn hook!   :smt005
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Thanks for the Intel!  I would really like to try diving with some experienced person like yourself.  I will be getting more comfortable in the water over December and hopefully be ready to try my hand at spearing fish in January.

Let me know when you're ready! In the mean time, you could start practicing CO2 tables 3x/week. you'd have a pretty epic breath hold by January.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Thanks Always for the Great Reporting!

How'd that Seat treat Ya?
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Thanks Always for the Great Reporting!

How'd that Seat treat Ya?

My pleasure! I enjoy doing the write ups - it's like reliving it.

My back is forever indebted to you! Man it was a joy doing a LONG paddle on Sunday. Such a difference and a huge thank you again for that. Have you been getting out there lately?

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

JZumi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I no longer visit NCUH because I keep getting this message-

Infection detected!

http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/

The requested URL contains malicious code that can damage your computer. If you want to access the URL anyway, turn off the Avast web shield and try it again.

Infection type: URL:Mal

Threadjack over.  Very nice video.  Thanks for sharing!
JM

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Never thought id be so happy to see kelp!
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Never thought id be so happy to see kelp!

:smt044 :smt007 hahah no kidding!!! Thankfully, the monterey outer belt is still currently in existence! It's a bit thicker out there.

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

anything