Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:55 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kick-up rudder install on glass stealths?  (Read 2047 times)

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Anyone done it? I have the rudder from Ruben. And can source a bracket that he thinks works. But was wondering about how sturdy the hull is in terms of attachment.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Just brainstormin'...is there the carbon fiber plate for the standard rudder?  I would think that material is way sturdy.  Apparently, under some of the screws there is some form of reinforcement built into the fiberglass, if that's the case then possibly under the screws that hold that plate down are reinforced and that lid is eligible to have bolt type installation potential.  Not sure this makes sense.  Hope it goes well... :smt006
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:12:12 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

lir

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I think Squidder K might have done that. I think there might be a thread on it
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
maybe this

That’s the standard rudder install. There is also a kick up rudder install video on a Fusion, but those boats apparently have the threaded inserts for them molded into the plastic.

On the glass boats, you’ll be drilling into the hull, probably right at the coaming, and then fastening as best you can. Not that big of a deal, except for the fact that with no access to the inside of the hull without cutting, nice big stainless washers to spread the load won’t be possible.

I’ll search a bit deeper to see if I can find a Squidder K thread.

Eddie, I think I understand you. And you’ve given me an even better idea. I might be able to tie into the carry handle attachment inserts. Those are bound to be hella sturdy. As well as being a lot closer to the stern of the boat.

lir

maybe this

That’s the standard rudder install. There is also a kick up rudder install video on a Fusion, but those boats apparently have the threaded inserts for them molded into the plastic.

On the glass boats, you’ll be drilling into the hull, probably right at the coaming, and then fastening as best you can. Not that big of a deal, except for the fact that with no access to the inside of the hull without cutting, nice big stainless washers to spread the load won’t be possible.

I’ll search a bit deeper to see if I can find a Squidder K thread.

Eddie, I think I understand you. And you’ve given me an even better idea. I might be able to tie into the carry handle attachment inserts. Those are bound to be hella sturdy. As well as being a lot closer to the stern of the boat.

yeah figured as much soon after posting ,my bad .good luck with your install....should have minded my own business

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Don’t sweat it Spiffy, we’re all here helping out. Well mostly. I confess to being the occasional internet butthole at times.

skyfight

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Not for kick-up rudder, I am also wondering on how to use those carry-handle screw holes to install a trolling motor mount for bixpy.
Stealth Profisha 525/BKC TK122

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I did, and am still troubleshooting somethings. Initially I used heavy cord I had used on a Hobie rudder, and it didn't last one season ( I had over 8 years on the Hobie with it, without issue). I am in the process of converting to wire all the way through. Pro's and con's: pro no more dragging that rudder on the ground, con, you lose maneuverability, so you have to plan your turns earlier.  I have a Fisha 555, I am over 18 feet in length, so I went with the larger "hybrid" rudder.  Without a rudder the yak doesn't track well (tried it failed for me). 
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
See the rigging thread, I have pictures on installing the kick up rudder.  If at all possible make a second one of those "arms" used for the rudder cable, and then run it on top of the regular arm, but in the opposite direction, this will give you you more pull when turning.  I saw an image from a guy in South Africa who does that, and it made since to me.  I don't have an image here, maybe at home.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song