Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:48:06 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: new kayaker looking for fishing partners  (Read 1714 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi Rob,
yes we should get together once this wind lies down and seems we are two peas in a pod.
But I always like to have a buddy, surfing diving, running, skiing or boarding, mtn biking all of the fun sports are just more fun in groups.

I am staying out at Doran April 7 th through 10 ....I hope the weather lets me get out for some rockfish and maybe Hali's

If you are game we should try to meet up while I am out there?  Feel free to email me which is my username if you have any interest.
Let me know
Troy

fpomilia

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2022
I live in Ukiah but will travel where anywhere. Traveled all over for bass tournaments in the past.

Tatanka

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Hi Troy,

I'm a retired guy and live in Santa Rosa.  I'm not new but still a rookie at this.  I'm also interested in meeting locals folks to go kayak fishing with, both fresh and salt water.   I've had my Hobie 14 footer for a couple years and have taken a few fresh water trips to nearby lakes and launched once from the beach at Stillwater Cove just north of Timber Cove with a friend who introduced me to salt water fishing. He had been there a few times and always caught nice fish there.   I learned real quick that the ocean is a drastic difference from being in a lake.  The coastal fog quickly rolled in and we never caught anything while trying to keep a safe distance from the rocks we passed by.   It seemed like we drifted about a half mile (by my iPhone GPS) and all the inlets looked the same as we struggled to get back in the currents.  We drifted a long way and almost got lost but a local paddler going by showed us the way back to the beach in the fog.  I'd like to go again but with a kayaker familiar with the coastline and more experienced in ocean fishing than me.

Rick aka Tatanka

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi Tatanka,

Yep I know that one... used to dive still water a bunch but got tired of hauling my gear and then my wife's gear down the cliff on the north side and now I am way to old to want to do that.

The fog can be disorienting and I have very little experiance with the ocean and kayaking so I am very careful when out there and would not consider going out very far at all without a partner (who knows more than me) and all the requisite safety gear.

I am out at Doran Friday through Saturday and will be going out but not very far and so far no partners but if you want to make it to Doran would be glad to fish with you but again probably not super far out (I would expect I would want to keep the shore within a half mile or less and will scurry back to shore if there is a hint of incoming fog.  I do have a gps/fish finder but don't like that sketchy feeling without a buddy and certainly will not push it till maybe I get some more experience in the ocean.

I am also going to practice self rescue while there probably Thur afternoon as I have not yet tried to purposely roll the yak but really need too before I end up doing it with all of my gear etc.

Thanks
Troy

Tatanka

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Troy,
If you are practicing a roll over and re-entry from the sides or the stern, you might want to try it in a lake close to the shore about 6 to 8 ft ft deep.  No waves or current to deal with.   It's just deep enough that you have to swim and your kayak will get a good fresh water rinse.  If something goes wrong or you get tired, you are very close to the bank and can easily walk out. You will discover different re-entry techniques work better than others.  Your PFD vest makes a big difference when climbing over the side rail... inflatable vs. a thick foam one.   I made a little Jacobs Ladder from ski rope and stored it in the mesh cubby holder by the kayak seat.  I swim under the capsized kayak, remove from the cubby holder and unroll it while I'm in the water, then use it to easily flip the kayak upright, then use it to climb up and over the rail.  Kind of like having a fire extinguisher in your house and never needing it until one day you do.