Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stealth Transducer Install.  (Read 7420 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Nice! Does the big screen interfere with a full paddle stroke at all?

It’s low enough and forward enough that it doesn’t interfere for me at all. Was able to clock a short sprint up to 7mph into light wind with it.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Aespo90

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile My Instagram
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
A fiberglass kayak and a flush mount, thru-hull, transducer, like something from Airmar, could be an arranged marriage made in heaven. Don’t know if Hummingbird is a dedicated transducer, I believe Lowrance will work with 3rd party transducers, Raymarine will.

I did a quick look at the Hummingbird Helix 7 and what Hummingbird has for thru hull transducers, looks like you are limited in your options, didn’t see anything flush mount.

Overall, it is a cleaver install without having to do any fiberglass work. Do you drain the water out of the transducer box after fishing?

You and your transducer project now have me rethinking rotomold kayaks vs fiberglass. :thumleft:
There is at least one guy running a flush mount transducer on a stealth kayak.  Rod from Rokkitkit On Youtube.

The full time water bath idea is a good one, that's a method alot of guys used in the past (8+ years ago before the hobie x lowrance marriage that ended up unfolding), since all of the transducers needed to be inside the hull at that time.

In my fisha 500 I just glued the transducer into the flat area that is reachable through that access port in the fish hatch.  I used a marine silicone from Goop if I remember correctly, and it works great, however I do not have the ability to use side scan with this method, and I am sure my water temp is slightly off.
Fishing IG: @blackflag_fishing
3D Printing IG: @stealth3dprinting
2014 Ocean Kayak T13 SOLD
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
It’s low enough and forward enough that it doesn’t interfere for me at all. Was able to clock a short sprint up to 7mph into light wind with it.

Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of that snazzy green kayak.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
A fiberglass kayak and a flush mount, thru-hull, transducer, like something from Airmar, could be an arranged marriage made in heaven. Don’t know if Hummingbird is a dedicated transducer, I believe Lowrance will work with 3rd party transducers, Raymarine will.

I did a quick look at the Hummingbird Helix 7 and what Hummingbird has for thru hull transducers, looks like you are limited in your options, didn’t see anything flush mount.

Overall, it is a cleaver install without having to do any fiberglass work. Do you drain the water out of the transducer box after fishing?

You and your transducer project now have me rethinking rotomold kayaks vs fiberglass. :thumleft:
There is at least one guy running a flush mount transducer on a stealth kayak.  Rod from Rokkitkit On Youtube.

The full time water bath idea is a good one, that's a method alot of guys used in the past (8+ years ago before the hobie x lowrance marriage that ended up unfolding), since all of the transducers needed to be inside the hull at that time.

In my fisha 500 I just glued the transducer into the flat area that is reachable through that access port in the fish hatch.  I used a marine silicone from Goop if I remember correctly, and it works great, however I do not have the ability to use side scan with this method, and I am sure my water temp is slightly off.
I bet your temp is spot on due to the thin hull material.  I remember on the hook4 there is a temp. calibration setting for adjustment, not sure on Helix, I have the 5"...my temp has been true so far...love your screen size for my dimming eyeballs...see ya' on da wattah, side note...did you cook up that keelah catfish Vietnamse style and feed the neighborhood? :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Has anyone ever tried a suction mount for their transducer? Im playing around with the idea of finally getting a unit, but im not too keen about putting holes in my boat. Ive wondered about using a suction cup for awhile and in particular the Seasucker vacuum mount. I wonder if you could get creative and mod something out. Would the vacuum suction work underwater? Like could you install the unit underwater? I feel the suction would hold well to fiberglass. Probably would create a bit of drag, but maybe not that noticeable? Anyways just spitballing an idea. PS I really like Rokkits transducer install but that's pretty ballsy to do
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Has anyone ever tried a suction mount for their transducer? Im playing around with the idea of finally getting a unit, but im not too keen about putting holes in my boat. Ive wondered about using a suction cup for awhile and in particular the Seasucker vacuum mount. I wonder if you could get creative and mod something out. Would the vacuum suction work underwater? Like could you install the unit underwater? I feel the suction would hold well to fiberglass. Probably would create a bit of drag, but maybe not that noticeable? Anyways just spitballing an idea. PS I really like Rokkits transducer install but that's pretty ballsy to do
That was my first attempt at a transducer and it fulfilled my immediate need and was eventually deterred by drag, though negligible and the arm could be lifted in a pinch.  I did not like eel grass or any other collection of debris on the arm…
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• View Profile
That was my first attempt at a transducer and it fulfilled my immediate need and was eventually deterred by drag, though negligible and the arm could be lifted in a pinch.  I did not like eel grass or any other collection of debris on the arm…
Thanks Eddie, but Im not talking about a transducer arm attached via suction cup. Im talking about directly mounting the transducer to the bottom of the boat with a vacuum suction. SeaSucker has a pretty cool one with 1/4" 20 thread for attachments

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
Ive wondered about using a suction cup for awhile and in particular the Seasucker vacuum mount.

I think the idea is to keep the bottom of the hull clean, no protrusions, so you can slide over kelp without entanglement, and beach land without knocking the transducer off. Those suction cups look like they would work for a transom mount but maybe not a good idea on the bottom of a yak.

Holes in a fiberglass boats are a non-issue. Fiberglass is easily repaired and the repairs are permanent. If you ever wanted to remove the transducer you can easily re-glass the hole and it will be as strong as it originally was. Being on the bottom of the boat I wouldn’t worry about matching paint colors or anything like that. If you sell the yak, sell it with the transducer.

• View Profile
Yeah the beauty of fiberglass is that it is repairable. I don't know how easy that is to do though. Im not worried about kelp or beach landings. The appealing idea of a suction cup is that I would be able to remove before heading in. I don't know if its the best idea. Just brainstorming. I don't even have a fishfinder anyways lol. I definitely like Eddies and 3$Js setups though. Super slick

Aespo90

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile My Instagram
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'd like to point out that the only holes you would need with a standard transducer install would be the holes in the deck lid and even then you could some some type of adhesive or Velcro for the units base depending on which unit you go with.  The transducer can be mounted in the fish hatch if you don't have the access port in the side wall of the fish hatch and it just glues in with silicone.  Just make sure there are no bubbles in what ever adhesive you use to attach it.
Fishing IG: @blackflag_fishing
3D Printing IG: @stealth3dprinting
2014 Ocean Kayak T13 SOLD
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

• View Profile

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'd like to point out that the only holes you would need with a standard transducer install would be the holes in the deck lid and even then you could some some type of adhesive or Velcro for the units base depending on which unit you go with.  The transducer can be mounted in the fish hatch if you don't have the access port in the side wall of the fish hatch and it just glues in with silicone.  Just make sure there are no bubbles in what ever adhesive you use to attach it.
Yeah I hear you. Thanks man. Im just thinking about options besides in hull. Just an idea. Sorry bout the thread jack

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

Yeah I hear you. Thanks man. Im just thinking about options besides in hull. Just an idea. Sorry bout the thread jack

Arty no thread jack here, just ideas!

Originally with my 5”lowrance I had mounted both my transducer and battery box in the fish hatch. I got terrible reading due to the double hull in that area with lots of air trapped there. I then moved the transducer to the main hull using the hole that stealth had already provided for that reason. I glued it down with silicone and it worked well for a bit, but eventually got loose and I lost my reading. I’m guessing from how I load and unload the kayak flexing that area.

At any rate I would bet that you could use a suction mount on the fish hatch lid to mount a screen and then just run the wires under the fish hatch. As long as you space them out a little you should still get a good seal when you close the fish hatch. I don’t know how the wires would like it long term though.

You could maybe even do something like this yak attack cell bloc. Battery is inside the cell bloc, transducer and ff outside. Mount it on the fish hatch with suction or whatever. Somewhat self enclosed.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

• View Profile
Right on, thanks John. My idea was actually to take something like the garmin transducer pictured below, and flipping/reversing the top mounting bracket. Then mount it to the SeaSucker cup via the 1/4" 20 thread. I think if the bracket was flipped that would allow it to lay flatter. I would directly mount the transducer to the bottom of yak. My 525 is so narrow, I could easily reach beneath to mount suction. Obviously it would create drag and management of the cable would be required. I have no idea if you can vacuum pump the cup underwater though. They do use the suction cup for a variety of uses and seem to have great reviews. Mounting of the screen and battery would be done standard to Stealth users. Just an idea I had and was wondering if anyone had tried it

Plankton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013

The outboard transducer mount (depending on the size of your tx cross-section) increases drag by 8-12 percent.

Smoked salmon

• Sand Dab
  • Blue revo 13 Stealth 495
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
For the water bath I wanted to make it permanent. As in fill it once and leave it. I bought a waterproof box, cut the bottom off it and acuffed it real good so that adhesive would stick well. On the lid I drilled a hole for the cable and used a cable grommet to seal it. The box was glued down using marine adhesive.

I'M ABOUT TO DO A TRANSDUCER INSTALL ON MY "NEW" EVOLUTION 495, COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE DID YOU GET THE CABLE GROMMET? AND WHAT DID YOU USE FOR THE WIRES COMING UP THROUGH THE HATCH TO THE FF? THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:10:49 PM by Smoked salmon »