Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Stealth Fusion  (Read 2810 times)

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
So I took the Stealth Fusion out to HMB on Sat 9/4.  Some observations -

If you have a fishfinder, it is trivial to set up with transponder, battery pack and screen all mounted without having to drill a hole in your kayak.  I used velcro for the screen, a dry bag for the batteries and a few scraps of wood with stainless bolts and lock nuts to hold in the transponder in the provided scupper.  People make this much harder and expensive than necessary. 

The live well works. 

It is a wet ride.  If you are moving, the Venturi effect keeps it all dry, but if you are just sitting there enjoying your coffee... well, you are sitting below water level. 

No coffee cup holder. 

Your reels will get wet due to where the holders are relative to your paddle motion. 

You can't eat and troll.  Your fishing style will be more jigging and drop shotting when bottom fishing.  I'll do salmon trolling to see how it is when the bite picks up. 

I added a screenshot of my paddles on Sat.  7.7 miles.  Nice upper body workout.  1.5 mph into the wind and tide.  I'm in reasonable shape (run 10k's etc...) and it wasn't hard, but I did make a note of the BS claims on YouTube about 3 mph into the wind without trying. 

Less gizmosity.  (yes, I declare that is a real word).  No seat, no pedal mechanism, all the junk just fits in the hatch.  You end up feeling like you are forgetting something. 

Would I buy again?  Yes.

TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for the review. Trolling from a paddle kayak is definitely more challenging. As you observed you can’t eat or drink while doing it, and more care is required to avoid tangles while lowering your gear. I also miss being able to hold the rod in my hands and keep the bait just off the bottom while trolling for halibut.

One thing I’ve noticed on the stealth is that my back handles things fine if I am paddling, but when mooching it is hard to avoid hunching or slumping and my back does not like that.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
"One thing I’ve noticed on the stealth is that my back handles things fine if I am paddling, but when mooching it is hard to avoid hunching or slumping and my back does not like that."

Add 60 bucks for the back rub.  Yes, a bit sore but not horrid. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I added a screenshot of my paddles on Sat.  7.7 miles.  Nice upper body workout.  1.5 mph into the wind and tide.  I'm in reasonable shape (run 10k's etc...) and it wasn't hard, but I did make a note of the BS claims on YouTube about 3 mph into the wind without trying. 

It's always nice to see someone put claims of people moving at ludicrous speed on a kayak to the test...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
But to be frank I think my review sounded critical - i love this kayak. ,if I had to have 1 kayak,  it would be the Flint only because I can duck hunt with it.  Purely based on camo and I can load 30 decoys on the deck.  Make a Stealth in camo and I'm done.  I can tow them.  But I have 3 kayaks so add the Revo to the party.  And i am sure I'll have some Revo days. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...