Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stealth Profisha 475 first impressions and a bunch of questions  (Read 2449 times)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks to the NCKA community I recently got to purchase a used Stealth Profisha 475. I took it out for the first time last weekend and I am finally getting around to writing up my impressions and questions. The first trip involved a surf launch, paddling 3 miles offshore (maybe 9 or 10 miles total paddling, a lot of it trolling), skunking on salmon and bringing home a consolation flatfish.

Impressions

I could feel the speed and efficiency from the first paddle stroke. My other paddle kayak is a Scupper Pro (fast and skinny for a fishing kayak), and the 475 paddles beautifully compared to it.

I love how optimized it is for surf launches. You can put everything except for a large net inside the cavernous fish hatch and you are all ready to punch through the surf.

I love how minimalist it is: you don't even have a seat to rinse off when you get home. I think this is the ideal kayak for the quick fishing trip before work that involves a surf launch.

There is no deck space at all! Even to set down a lure or sinker. The lid of the fish hatch works for laying out a few baits, but of course things tend to fall off when you open the hatch.

The stability felt fine to me, but I imagine it would be a bit of an adjustment if you are coming from something like an Outback. I'll let you know once I find out how it feels in nasty conditions.

I was surprised how comfortable it was without a seat, pad, or back support. I think it helps if you make sure your knees are high enough, keep your back upright, and keep your core engaged. My back started to get tired after 4 hours, but I expect my body will get used to sitting longer. Of course it doesn't compare to an AI if you are going to be on the water for an 8 or 12 hour day.

When I got back to the beach I opened both drain plugs and turned it over, not sure what to expect. Out came... nothing at all. That is a nice change from my AI, which will take on more than a quart of water during a morning in rough conditions.

Questions

I noticed some hull slap when paddling into chop. Do the 525 and 575 experience less slap because they have less rocker, or are they about the same?

I had a hell of a time getting my paddle shoe out when I was trying to put my feet in the water to land a fish. I guess the straps help keep you from coming out when you are bracing in the surf. Do you use the foot straps?

I'd like to set up some type of forward rod holder. On the scupper pro it works pretty well to tuck the rod butt under one leg and brace the rod against the other foot, but the fish hatch on the Stealth makes that hard. Any forward rod holder setups you really like?

I'm puzzling over what type of net to carry for salmon. If it is windy I hate having a big net sticking up like a sail, and it always seems to be windy. Strapping any net to the rear deck is awkward, and this kayak is less than 22" wide at that point. My main options seem to be a net that is about 26" wide, a larger high-quality collapsible net that I can open with one hand, or embracing the pure Stealth spirit and just using a gaff. I'm currently leaning towards the gaff. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on where to get an insulated kill bag that will fit nicely inside the fish hatch? Or should I keep it minimalist and forego the bag?

Since there is no access to the inner hull, there is no way to add secondary flotation such as flotation bags or pool noodles. I guess this isn't a concern because the fish hatch and rear storage compartment provide independent flotation?

What kind of paddle should I get? And more importantly, what are good resources for improving my paddling technique?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thank you Krishna for the details and questions.  I know nothing but what I am brainstorming.
The paddle I bought is a Werner Cyprus 220cm vs. the Ikelos or the Kalliste touring blade.  I’m a high angle paddler.  Looking at a small net for legal purposes and boss gaffing in time.  Eventually I hope to run a sail on this narrow beast.  I'm gonna master, over time, Ikijime for fish preservation so I see no need for kill bag.  Might store some ice for packing cavity, or ice pouches.  I can imagine a forward drifting type rod holder that will not obstruct paddle technique. I watched a stealth vid on loosening foot straps for feet so they can be removed with ease at flip stage in surf landing.  Stay tuned... :smt006

I am highly focused on this vid I scored from Marc(Plankton)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 02:32:10 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Krishna , a big burlap sack is still my  favorite .

A good dunking pre fish and it stays wet and insulates well, toss in some ice , works  well.  (Then I don't stay out more than 4-5 hours max ).

you can hand wash it in a 5 gallon bucket,hang it out to dry and  they fold up, store easy .
Yes, love that burlap, I have full burlap thermals that I wear under my drysuit...jk...you never know with these religious types... :smt005 :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Krishna , a big burlap sack is still my  favorite .

A good dunking pre fish and it stays wet and insulates well, toss in some ice , works  well.  (Then I don't stay out more than 4-5 hours max ).

you can hand wash it in a 5 gallon bucket,hang it out to dry and  they fold up, store easy .
Yes, love that burlap, I have full burlap thermals that I wear under my drysuit...jk...you never know with these religious types... :smt005 :smt006

Not to thread jack , but I bet you do Eddie .. nothing to do with the religion.. you just enjoy the chafing..LOL.  :smt002
Chafing is a bonus.  Burlap makes me feel manly like a tough guy.  “What?  You don’t have any burlap one piece undergarments?  What kinda kayak fisherman are ya’?”  I’ve learned over the years not to judge people by their undergarments, its changed my life...plenty of other stuff to work on though... :smt006
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:54:33 AM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So far we have burlap undergarments and tips on how to paddle a… canoe? This isn’t the thread I asked for, but maybe it is the one I needed.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So far we have burlap undergarments and tips on how to paddle a… canoe? This isn’t the thread I asked for, but maybe it is the one I needed.
Things seem to go sideways on any given thread.  Might be Spiffy's fault...the canoe technique is certainly transferable to a kayak paddle.  I visualize a canoe dig when I'm kayaking per stroke....there are certain blade fundamentals as well...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
And more importantly, what are good resources for improving my paddling technique?
Ive been watching a lot of YouTube trying to learn how to paddle. Dan at Headwaters has some great videos, happypaddlin is awesome, search Oscar Chalupsky demos/clinics and NORTHSEAKAYAK is amazing. Also KayakHipster is really good for just kayak stuff. I also got the Werner Cyprus. So far, I love it, but I don't have much to compare too. Hope that might help
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’m sure one of the vendors offers classes on basics and advanced padding or at least a sea kayaking club or website …as far a the burlap I was good till Eddie started with the undergarments..I couldn’t resist.

Sorry Krishna

Character defect , I’m trying to stop cold turkey
Brah!  You can't take all the Threddiejack credit, I baited you with the overall undergarment lead in...I am retiring my burlap undergarments as of today.  I don't have enough zinc oxide for all the chafing.  Now, let's get back to this stealth and chill...oh, I mean Krishna's well thought out observations that may help pre stealth anxiety for a few... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I’m going to have a ton of questions when mine shows up too. We (stealth paddlers) should do a stealth paddle day and compare notes!! I have all of the same questions.

On a side note KPD I’m pretty sure you passed me on your AI at Bolinas Friday. I was out past the other couple kayaks headed towards the green can when a red AI motored by.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

The jury is still out in that. Burlap undergarments - penance or compensation? Find out on the next episode of Jerry.

:smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

SuperFly

• Sand Dab
  • Stealth Pro Fisha 575 and Fisha 500
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
I noticed some hull slap when paddling into chop. Do the 525 and 575 experience less slap because they have less rocker, or are they about the same?
- You notice it more because the sound resonates through the stiff fiberglass. Fishas might have a little more than the Pro Fishas, but I'm not paying attention to it.

I had a hell of a time getting my paddle shoe out when I was trying to put my feet in the water to land a fish. I guess the straps help keep you from coming out when you are bracing in the surf. Do you use the foot straps?
- First thing I did was take off the straps, you don't need them.

I'm puzzling over what type of net to carry for salmon. If it is windy I hate having a big net sticking up like a sail, and it always seems to be windy. Strapping any net to the rear deck is awkward, and this kayak is less than 22" wide at that point. My main options seem to be a net that is about 26" wide, a larger high-quality collapsible net that I can open with one hand, or embracing the pure Stealth spirit and just using a gaff. I'm currently leaning towards the gaff. Thoughts?
- I carry a either a large Frabill Power Stow net or a Stowmaster folding net with an upgraded bag that's deeper than the original. Leash it and stick it under the rear bugees during launch.
https://www.norsemenoutdoors.com/product/ss72ng-saltwater-trout-bass-net-72/
https://www.frabill.com/shop/nets/power-stow-knotless-net

Any suggestions on where to get an insulated kill bag that will fit nicely inside the fish hatch? Or should I keep it minimalist and forego the bag?
- I DIYed a bag, but burlap is fine. The hatch is easily washed out with some dish soap and a capful of bleach after fishing.

What kind of paddle should I get? And more importantly, what are good resources for improving my paddling technique?
- Spend $ on a light paddle you really, really like because you will be using it a lot. No need for a wing, they're a bit more efficient going forward, but flat blades are more versatile. I'd rec. you buy one with a shaft that's adjustable for length and feather. Stealth paddles are 220cm, but for me that's a bit long. If you want to go with a flat blade, I'd recommend you look at high angle touring paddles like a Werner Cyprus. If you want a wing, the Stealth Angla is well made and forgiving. Most wings are made for racing and have a lot of helical twist in the blade, so they're demanding to use and you probably don't want that.

Pm if you want more info.

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
...the canoe technique is certainly transferable to a kayak paddle.  I visualize a canoe dig when I'm kayaking per stroke....there are certain blade fundamentals as well...

That video was interesting and I will be thinking more about my catch. While donning my jute thermals.

Dan at Headwaters has some great videos, happypaddlin is awesome, search Oscar Chalupsky demos/clinics and NORTHSEAKAYAK is amazing. Also KayakHipster is really good for just kayak stuff.

Thanks! I will check those out.

I’m going to have a ton of questions when mine shows up too. We (stealth paddlers) should do a stealth paddle day and compare notes!! I have all of the same questions.

I like that idea.  :smt006

On a side note KPD I’m pretty sure you passed me on your AI at Bolinas Friday. I was out past the other couple kayaks headed towards the green can when a red AI motored by.

That sounds like me! Not the nicest day out there, was it?

I carry a either a large Frabill Power Stow net or a Stowmaster folding net with an upgraded bag that's deeper than the original. Leash it and stick it under the rear bugees during launch.

Lots of great advice! I was already eyeing the Frabill Power Stow since it seems well made and is available in huge sizes. Do you have a preference between it and the Stowmaster?

I've heard three votes for the Werner Cyprus, so paddle choice might be easy.

---

Here is a quick video showing the rear storage and fish hatch:

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That video made me chuckle and smile!  No spoilers... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15