Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Outback 2019  (Read 1743 times)

mightytrout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Am looking to upgrade my kayak and was considering the redesigned Hobie Outback for 2019 that just came out.  Does anyone have it and have any opinion on performance in open ocean- or other waters for that matter?

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I love mine.  I am probably too new for my opinion to be worth much but that has never stopped me before.

It is a great kayak.  Its fast, both pedal or paddle.  Easy to do either way.  It turns on a dime.  Is pretty stable. 

For me, I wanted a pedal drive kayak.  I like the action of the mirage drive over the other types.  Most likely it was just me, but with the propeller driven systems, there was a slight pause at the bottom of each revolution that bothered me.  not a huge deal, but was a factor for me.

One thing I do like about the propeller drives over the mirage is that if you pedal backwards, you go backwards on the propeller.  that is rad.  on the mirage, you have to switch it.  that is lame.

Also,  for the price point of the hobie, I would expect more shit to be figured out.  Its not.  I am installing a fish finder in mine, and I have to drill into the mounting system and use zip ties.  Lame.  How about there is no where that is dedicated to leash the mirage drive,  so either you extend it over to where you have your gear, or you create new leash points.  which requires drilling.  Also lame.  OR an anchor trolley, etc, etc. 

I realize that many of these things do not come standard on many kayaks.  But,  my feeling is that if you are going to charge premium dollars for a fishing kayak,  some of these considerations should be made.  these are the type of things that I would think 90% of the folks who buy these for fishing will do.  so, why not make it easy?

At the end of the day, would I buy a different kayak?  no?  Do I have any regrets?  no?  Do I wish they did a better job?  yes.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Pre-drilled mounting holes take the fun/anxiety away from the rigging part of the sport :smt003
Deciding where to drill keeps you  in the garage with your baby for a long time and away from house chores.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:42:46 PM by hightide »
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I love mine.  I am probably too new for my opinion to be worth much but that has never stopped me before.

It is a great kayak.  Its fast, both pedal or paddle.  Easy to do either way.  It turns on a dime.  Is pretty stable. 

For me, I wanted a pedal drive kayak.  I like the action of the mirage drive over the other types.  Most likely it was just me, but with the propeller driven systems, there was a slight pause at the bottom of each revolution that bothered me.  not a huge deal, but was a factor for me.

One thing I do like about the propeller drives over the mirage is that if you pedal backwards, you go backwards on the propeller.  that is rad.  on the mirage, you have to switch it.  that is lame.

Also,  for the price point of the hobie, I would expect more shit to be figured out.  Its not.  I am installing a fish finder in mine, and I have to drill into the mounting system and use zip ties.  Lame.  How about there is no where that is dedicated to leash the mirage drive,  so either you extend it over to where you have your gear, or you create new leash points.  which requires drilling.  Also lame.  OR an anchor trolley, etc, etc. 

I realize that many of these things do not come standard on many kayaks.  But,  my feeling is that if you are going to charge premium dollars for a fishing kayak,  some of these considerations should be made.  these are the type of things that I would think 90% of the folks who buy these for fishing will do.  so, why not make it easy?

At the end of the day, would I buy a different kayak?  no?  Do I have any regrets?  no?  Do I wish they did a better job?  yes.

Drilling holes is part of kayak fishing. I've drilled out big holes to accomodate Scotty flush mounts.  I had to shave off the posts on the transducer cover to fit my Raymarine Dragongly transducer.  It all comes together to get right set up that works for you and your fishing style.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hi All,
I agree with Mel and Allan. It took me a number of years to figure out how I wanted to rig my Revo 13. I have to say that I have really enjoyed putting in rod holders, YakAttack tracks, fishfinders, etc. as well as setting up my Tandem Oasis for sailing. I suspect that there are a lot of NCKA guys and gals who like to tinker around with tools and stuff and come up with something that came from your needs and creativity. Since I was a little kid, I was always under the house making my own toys and building things and that's always been with me!!
I think that how we set up our yaks is a personal preference of  what we like, where we want to locate it and how we want to do it. In the end, it seems to me that being comfortable on the water is the end game!!!
We're all in the same boat, sort of!!!
Aloha,
Michael
da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

I agree. I want Hobie to decide where my rod holder and fish finder mount is. Screw having to do manual labor and adding shit yourself.  I might get 10 lifetime tamarack angler kayaks for the price of a Hobie

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-Tamarack-Angler-100-Fishing-Kayak-Paddle-Included-90818/55604992?u1=58f7be7edd9b11e89948a6d63f35ac300INT&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY&sourceid=38789566033838007366&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Point taken guys.  I should have been more specific, but I felt like I was writing a novel as it was. 

I think rigging up my kayak is fun.  I am enjoying figuring out where things go, etc.  I was not referring to things like rod holders, places to stick gear, etc.

My point was for the things like an anchor point for the mirage drive leash,  why not have a cleat close to it?  Seems like most people are going to a leash for their mirage drive.  an anchor up by it is not robbing me personally of any enjoyment of drilling and sealing.  But, then maybe that is just me.  Or an anchor trolley,  everyone puts them in the same spot, do they not?  Again,  maybe this is just me being super new, but from my observation, everyone installs these on either the left or right side, just above the water line.  So, my point was why not have cleats there already? 

Anyway,  maybe this is just because I am new, perhaps I will change my mind about it as time progresses.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Drilling holes is part of kayak fishing. ...

Sometimes, I drill an extra hole in my kayak just to remind it who is boss...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011

You show him!!   :smt005   :smt005
If you ain't first, you're last.

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
LOL.

Sorry mightytrout.  I was trying to be helpful.  But, I set myself up for some ribbing instead.  hahah,  seems to happen to me around here.   :smt003

I do like the kayak though.  I am probably not the guy to ask as I dont have a bunch of experience yet.  I will hopefully be taking it out again this weekend. 

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
New Guy   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

When the first yak fishing kayak made its appearance the breakthrough technology was a flat mounting surface for flush mount rod holders.  You woulda been mortified  :smt003

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
New Guy   :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

When the first yak fishing kayak made its appearance the breakthrough technology was a flat mounting surface for flush mount rod holders.  You woulda been mortified  :smt003

Yup. That was a big hole to cut
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

You show him!!   :smt005   :smt005

It's a her...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

mightytrout

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
thanks for the feedback.  I did watch the video (8 miles out) and suspect that guy didn't do a good job sealing up his holes for transducer.  My Ocean kayak is a pretty wet ride and never got any water inside.  He had several inches just going out.  Must be a breach.  Looks like I'll be doing some drilling myself as can't imagine going long without anchor trolley or fishfinder.  Silicone seal does wonders