Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need a easy day trip within an hour from Roseville  (Read 2151 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Ive also heard good things about Clementine but have not tried it.  If it's trout than there are a lot of choices as you migrate up 80 or 50 (Fuller, Donner, Prosser, Boca, Ice House, Stumpy, French meadows sly park, etc.  Some may not be as easy as others nor only a one hour drive....

I have not heard anyone give a good report from Natomas and Folsom is good to some and not so good to others...

I don't know about Natomas this year but in the past...

http://www.theloomisnews.com/article/another-big-one-lake-natomas

Several years ago, I made the statement that Lake Natomas would be producing another state record. Another one, bigger than the Natomas Rainbow that was caught by a 7-year-old youngster on January 17, 2000. Well, not to blow my own horn, it did happen again. This month a gentleman caught a 27-pound Rainbow trout from Lake Natomas, eclipsing the former state record of 23 pounds by a full four pounds. What a trout! The big Rainbow is currently in the process of being certified by the Department of Fish and Game as a new state record. Recently, I spent the weekend with my daughter Christeen and her family at Bucks Lake, just above the town of Quincy. We had a ball. All of us (and they have four children) caught Rainbow trout and Kokanee salmon. We caught them almost one after the other. We used flies and lures like the Kastmaster. The flies were small black Nymphs. We had that little bit of rain the other day which helped the fishing out in Folsom Lake a lot. As we say in the fishing trade, Folsom Lake is in a transition mode right now. The Black bass, Large Mouth and Small Mouth bass are really starting to chow down now, fattening up for winter. So now's the time to fish the lake before the weather really turns sour. Oh, we can fish in the rain and do well but then the lake will muddy up and that's all she wrote. So hit the lake now! The Steelhead fishing down on the American River has been up and down. Depending on what fisher folks you talk to, it's been good by some, and lousy by others. You might talk to a fly fisher who has done really well. Talk to another few and they have not caught many Steelies. The way to get into the Steelhead on the American River, Yuba, and Feather River is fish hard, change flies or lures a lot and move around some. Start your day at a favorite spot. If you don't do well, move up or down stream in search of your quarry. Remember, the fish are on the move to find their spawning grounds which happens to be Nimbus Hatchery. If you don't catch one in a certain pool or rifle after fishing for an hour or so, move on. Sooner or later you'll find them and the fun begins!
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Nice!!  I just have not heard of or experienced any good luck in recent years.  It does have the reputation of being one of the best kayak lakes in Northern California.  Just not a great place to fish.  But, its always enjoyable to try....and who knows, maybe there is another record waiting
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Has anyone tried Englebright?  Is the fishing good around the Marina and dam or do you need to paddle five miles+?
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Nice info traildad on the American!
Wanna bank fish the American river for salmon in the future? :smt003 :smt003

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Ron (Weimarian), you're the best! :smt006

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
If you want to relax, then hit natoma. There is a 5mph speed limit on the entire lake. This time of year I'd throw weedless plastics in backwater areas for spotted bass. during the fall and spring I'd try fishing for trout between Negro Bar and the prison cable.

Rollins is cool, if you're into that kinda thing.  :smt044

Camp Far west has a sub-par fishery in my opinion.

Right at one hour from Roseville you have Oxbow reservoir, which has trout, zero boat traffic and is a bit of an adventure.

Folsom has a decent Alabama bass and channel cat summer fishery. Summer weekends at folsom are bleh though since there is a ton of boat traffic.

The deep water channel can have decent fishing, but its pretty gross with warm water temps.

Clementine. This is my lake. Don't ever go here, it's terrible and you will have a terrible time. The water is as black as tar and you gotta dodge rattlesnakes, mountain lions and bees and lake monsters. It's terrible and totally devoid of fish. There are absolutely no smallmouth to be found by throwing senkos close to the shore at tule breaks and rock outcroppings. zero fish.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:48:43 PM by Archie Marx »
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I’ll be Fishing Rollins tomorrow morning. Will be at the Greenhorn gate at 6am. There will be others Fishing there as well. Feel free to join us if you’d like.
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If you want to relax, then hit natoma. There is a 5mph speed limit on the entire lake. This time of year I'd throw weedless plastics in backwater areas for spotted bass. during the fall and spring I'd try fishing for trout between Negro Bar and the prison cable.

Right at one hour from Roseville you have Oxbow reservoir, which has trout, zero boat traffic and is a bit of an adventure.

Folsom has a decent Alabama bass and channel cat summer fishery. Summer weekends at folsom are bleh though since there is a ton of boat traffic.

The deep water channel can have decent fishing, but its pretty gross with warm water temps.

Clementine. This is my lake. Don't ever go here, it's terrible and you will have a terrible time. The water is as black as tar and you gotta dodge rattlesnakes, mountain lions and bees and lake monsters. It's terrible and totally devoid of fish. There are absolutely no smallmouth to be found by throwing senkos close to the shore at tule breaks and rock outcroppings. zero fish.

Thanks for the warning on Clemintine.  I will definitely want to avoid that lake sometime soon. :smt003
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Blueline paddle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I will be there around 6am at Rollins as well. This will be the first time hopefully meeting up with members from here. Beyond excited to get out.  I Will have  two of my boys with me. I hope I can finally land a fish info my kayak.  3 trips and nothing landed yet.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Target Crappies.. delicious!!! Fried Fish sandwiches with chick fil A sauce ....
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008

Thanks for the warning on Clemintine.  I will definitely want to avoid that lake sometime soon. :smt003

Good. It is said that the ghosts of the Gassaway Gang still linger and walk the shores under Lime Rock.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Had  a good time out at Rollins today. Met up with James and Steve. Two great guys. Truly appreciate the great advice   Happy Father’s Day to all
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
It was good meeting you as well dave.

#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

anything