Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Avet SX G2 or...?  (Read 2107 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have been looking for a reel to match up to a Trevala. I kind of decided on the SX G2 since they will probably discontinue the original at some point, the G2 has a drilled rail for the drag, and there is increased drag. I was thinking of running 30# braid on it, mainly fishing lingcod and rockfish.

I know there are a lot of great other reals out there like the Okuma low profile, Diawa Saltist and Lexa but I want to buy American like the Avet or Sieglar.

Do you guys spool the whole thing with braid? I was figuring on doing that since that stuff lasts a long time! No need for mono except the leader off of a swivel the way I see it.

Do you run heavier than 30# for lings?

It will be fun to try out some of this lite gear!

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I like the Siegler quality better than the Avet.
I have the Siegler SGN that I use when on a boat.
Although for kayak fishing RF, specially Lings, I like my Okuma Komodo SS (sorry not made in USA) on my custom Japanese slow pitch rod.

I load mine up with 50# braid because when I get caught up in rock and kelp, I can still yank them out and they hold up better.

You can put 15# 9 or lighter) braid if you want light tackle, it's a matter of personal choice.

John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I cant bring my myself to use my avet for rockfish but its definitely a good choice. Feels so good to crank up fish on that thing. I spool up with 50# braid to 2ft of 20 or 25# mono leader with great success. Plus some electrical tape on the spool to keep the braid from slipping

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I put 20 ft of 20lb mono at the base then braid then topshot
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:43:56 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
In my opinion you are probably better off with a level wind reel for lingcod or rockfish if that is going to be its primary use especially from a kayak.

Do you guys spool the whole thing with braid?

Do you run heavier than 30# for lings?

Depending on the reel overall line capacity but I usually back it with some type of cheap mono then about 150 yards of braid followed by Duo-Lock snap swivel with 3-4' of top shot of Seaguar blue label fluorocarbon. The swivel allows for quick change out of the top shot on the water for break offs and abrasion.

I usually run 40-50lb Power Pro braid on my ling/rockfish set ups. Every couple of years flip the braid.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have no problem with buying American. But buying an Avet for rockfish and lingcods is way overkill. Like buying a Tesla over a Ford for a grocery getter.

And I spool my reels with 30# braid for rock fishing. I used to use 50# braid, but that gets a little scary when you are snagged and the swells are up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:34:37 AM by krusty »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I like 30# for rock fishing in a kayak. One time I snagged up my main line using heavier line and it was very difficult to break off. I hate to cut off a 100-150 ft of line. Even more I didn’t like being tied to the bottom.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, Iv'e been rethinking everything. I'm looking at the Okuma low profile with a Trevala medium rod.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-Coldwater-350-Low-Profile-Linecounter-Right-Hand-Reel-CW354D/40369347

Cheap enough to start off with!??

I think ever since I was a kid and saw the Penn Internationals I am just drawn to owning machined aluminum some day. And why not? Hell, I'm retired and deserve to waste some money cool stuff...some day!

So I was looking at the Sieglar and they look like they are total quality. What do you guys use those type of reels for (Avet, Seiglar)? Just trolling for salmon or halibut?

Maybe I should just stick with my old yellow Ugly Stick and Penn reel and stop the confusion :smt044

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I am not trying to dissuade you from buying an Avet reel. Just that it is overkill for rockfish and lingcods. If you want to go after bigger game like yellowtail, then by all means, buy an Avet.

Kayak fishing in the ocean tend to be hard on fishing gear. They get dunked, covered in sand from a bad landing, and sometimes lost in a roll over. So buy gear you do not mind damaging or losing too badly.

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm starting to learn about the different types of fishing setups. The light setups look like fun so I'll check it out.

I have had plenty of bad landings and dropped stuff overboard so I know what you mean. I usually have a leash on everything or I know I am going to have a rough landing so I stow stuff. So Cal has a lot of game fish but not much up here...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I've watched quite a few seigler vids and have the sgn which I am in the process of getting to know well.  I have enjoyed my avet and am comfy with it and I love it, the seigler is a powerhouse in itself yet small and light.  I like the cool factor of both, practical, who knows, it is good to have a proven reel when that thresher hits...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:36:23 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I’m a fan of the low pro Okuma linecounter. It holds about 300 yards of 30lb braid. I use it for everything. Plenty of drag and line capacity for rockfish, lings, salmon, stripers, and halibut. Light enough drag and 30lb is thin enough to troll for trout and Kokanee in lakes (I use a 30 foot top shot of 10lb mono). Works great for jigging for macks as well. I’ve been using it for 3 years now. It’s been dunked in the salt and fresh water. A quick clean and some oil and grease now and then and it’s going strong.

It doesn’t feel high end in the hands and is not as smooth as the other reels that have been discussed, but for the $ it’s been very good to me.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I ordered the Okuma Low Profile. I should have some fun with that for a while.

Just a quick question about braid. I plan on using Power Pro 30#. How is that brand for use with rockfishing?

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Excellent. I don’t think I use any other brand of braid than power pro

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Great choice on the Okuma Low pro w/counter.
I have used the same for 2 years now and just had an issue with corrosion ...... Long story short, just recieved a replacement .... N/C!!!!
Great customer service and a decent product
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

anything