Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: wintertime reel service for everyone  (Read 1291 times)

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
wintertime reel service for everyone.  yes, this applies to you.  all of you.  no exceptions, no excuses!  ;D

even if you can't field strip a big lever drag, you can work a screwdriver.  there is still something that you have to do.  i can't think of a single reel where the removal of one screw disables the reel.  so what i'd recommend is removing every visible screw, one at a time.  back out the screw, grease it or add corrosion x, put it back, tighten it down a little, and then move on the to next.  yamaha marine grease is preferred, but anything is better than nothing,  and you should never have more than one screw out at a time.  if you can't remove it by hand because it's too corroded, then add a little but of a light oil around the top of the head if the screw and consider sending it in at some point. 

you should be able to do this, one screw at a time, for any reel.  the one exception is the screws that hold on the reel seats (bases) for the small okuma reels.  they use small fine thread metric machine screws held in with loctite.  it's really easy to snap these off.  for the small okuma reels, just add corrosion x or grease around the head of the screw and call it done. 

for the rest of the reel, manually add reel x with a dropper bottle to the corners and creases where corrosion happens, then wipe it down.  alternatively, tape the line and spray the outside of the reel with aerosol corrosion and then wipe it down to remove the excess.  reel x from a dropper bottle is preferred, but any light oil is better than nothing.  i cheat.  i have both the aerosol corrosion x and the reel x in a dropper bottle.  when the reel x is gone, i spray corrosion x in the dropper bottle and i save a bunch of money!

you have plenty of time, but spring will be here before you know it.  ping me if there are any questions!  alan

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks Alan. Done on all my salt reels. Freshies got light machine oil.... Great reminder.
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the reminder and tips Alan.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Mr T, thanks for the reminder.
I'm gonna send you a couple that need heavier work than just regular service, too (whether you like it or not!).
Was going to do that a couple years ago and now they really need help.
Catch & Repeat

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Thanks Alan for the refresher. Haven't did any heavy duty fishing so the reels i did maintenance with you a couple of years ago should still be good!

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
oops!  so you know i never work on spinning reels, right?  well, this business about one screw not making the reel go "boing!"  that does not apply to the screw on the bail return assembly.  so let's limit this to conventional reels, not spinners!!!!!!

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
alan how much for this service?  i have a (freshwater) baitcaster and spinner that haven.t been serviced....ever.  they seem a little gunky...

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks for the info

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
alan how much for this service?  i have a (freshwater) baitcaster and spinner that haven.t been serviced....ever.  they seem a little gunky...
No spinner repairs.

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I have a caster in a bag if you can put it together?  Got sand in it after a yard sale. One screw too many
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish