Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kick the crate - My new Rod holder-Redo  (Read 3848 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
My large milk crate doesn't leave enough room for fish in my new Thresher 140. I decided to try to make something custom and see if I can kick the crate. I decided to use PVC since it works well for my production skill level. I'm very happy with how it is going so far. It's got enough strength and stability for the huge Sturgeon net I have. I also figure I can add to it if I want connect a piece to make a trolling motor mount.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:57:48 PM by traildad »
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Sattes

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Sweet!  I like that approach.

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Extremely sexy. Nice job
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Looks great! Make sure you trim those bolts off, they cut the heck out wet skin, scuba suits, or dry suits.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nice! What did you use to attach it to the tracks?

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
That looks nice.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Still a little above my skill level though... :smt001

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Looks good Ken. I moved to the same train of thought. Got rid of the crate went to a Plano box. Then got rid of the Plano box. The only thing behind my seat now is my stringers. Now matter what I hail around in my box back there I rarely use it and it's s pain to reach and a bigger pain to drag my fish over it to add to my stringer. How many built in rod holders does a thresher have. I got a trident ultra 4.3 now because it has enough flush mount tod holders I can hold my net , and extra poles if I have them but I usually leave those inside the hull. The less stuff to get together, setup , maneuver around, break drown and put away for sure makes for a more enjoyable experience

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice! What did you use to attach it to the tracks?
5/16 carriage bolts. They are just big enough to not turn in the tracks.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Looks great! Make sure you trim those bolts off, they cut the heck out wet skin, scuba suits, or dry suits.
Yes. I had planned to use a 1 inch spacer to keep it above the tracks. When I changed my plans my bolts were too long. I have shorter ones but it took me till I was done before I found them.  :smt001

Paddletherapy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Thank you for posting. Im lovin the setup. I too have a thresher and use a crate for no other reason but to mount rod holders and a net. I could imagine without a crate, stashing  the stringer back there would be great. I currently place my catch in the front hatch. But, last thursday when the swells were 10ft it was difficult to crawl up to the front hatch.
Great innovation! 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That looks nice.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Still a little above my skill level though... :smt001

I have a fiber disk chop saw that I use to make square, precise cuts on the PVC. On the T sections that stick into the well I cut the junction in half so they stay close to the wall (see photo). I figure there isn't that much stress on them so a shorter connection will work. Some of the connections will be glued together. Many of them will get sheet metal type screws to keep them from pulling apart. The T and cross fittings must point exactly the right way. They might not end up pointing straight up if I just glued them and twisted them on. Using a screw I can position it just right and then drill the pilot hole. Having the front piece higher than the two sides allows everything to line up. The two rails are closer together in the rear than the front so a simple 90° won't cross straight over to connect the two sides. I used 1-1/2" PVC fittings and electrical conduit pipe. I hope the conduit might do better in sunlight than regular PVC. I decided to add pipe below all but the net holder. My rod was rubbing against the fitting as I pulled it out and was knocking the butt cap off the rod. The pipe addition keeps that from happening and I may put a cap on the bottom to support the rod and keep it from rubbing on the deck of the kayak. I left the pipe out of the net holder because it made it a little bit too tight to easily slide my big sturgeon net in and out. The trick is to have it tight enough to keep everything pointed up straight without needing to struggle to get the pole or net inserted while reaching back.

In the photo below, I drew red lines on the sections that are shortened. Each side of the junction had one half its length cut off.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:17:01 AM by traildad »

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
My priorities are kinda jacked up.  In your first picture I was looking at the raised planter in the background and thinking "why aren't there any onions planted in there?"  :smt044

Nice idea on the pvc  :smt003
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Very nice !          Krylon Fusion spray paint would color that up real nice.   Also protect from UV light.

Have you ever tried heating the PVC to shape some of the bends?
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
My large milk crate doesn't leave enough room for fish in my new Thresher 140. I decided to try to make something custom and see if I can kick the crate. I decided to use PVC since it works well for my production skill level. I'm very happy with how it is going so far. It's got enough strength and stability for the huge Sturgeon net I have. I also figure I can add to it if I want connect a piece to make a trolling motor mount.

Nice. It's such a dilemma, this space vs convenience thing. For your bolts, you might want to try "toilet flange" bolts from the plumbing Dept of a well stocked hardware store; you might be able to find brass ones which are easy to cut down (thread a nut on well below your cut in order to correct the threads after cutting) and hold up better in saltwater. That said, the brass & aluminum have a bad galvanic reaction so its best to spray the T-bolt w/ something waxy like Boeshield T9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Very nice !          Krylon Fusion spray paint would color that up real nice.   Also protect from UV light.

Have you ever tried heating the PVC to shape some of the bends?

I thought about it but never tried it.

anything