Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New PFD  (Read 2753 times)

liverbass

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
So I'm not sure how but I ended up ripping my PFD...So that means I'm in the market for a new one.  Looking for any recommendations?  My last one was an old MTI PFD but wondering what else is out there.

TFM

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
NRS Chinook is a very well rounded PFD for all applications. Received a ton of awards and pretty popular in the kayak fishing community and won't break the bank.

I personally prefer inflatable vest for more mobility when fishing freshwater, I have a PA12 so I don't need much storage in my vest just a place for a whistle and radio when I bring it.

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I tried out a bunch and liked the Stolquist fisherman the best. That said, you should try on as many as possible. CCK in Oakland and REI in Berkeley have a bunch.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I tried Stohlquist Fisherman, NRS cVest, and NRS Chinook very recently and I decided on the cVest (although all are a close call, with the Stohlquist Fisherman being the 2nd choice).

I think when it comes down to it, it's your personal preference.  You can't go wrong with any of the three.  All three are on sale at www.backcountry.com now (no relation).

Review on the NRS cVest:

Pros:

Lots of tether points (deal breaker for me)
Radio clip (on the right top side, above small pocket, clip to the reflective marker strip)
Side pockets are perfect to 'tuck' in your hands if you need it.
Ended up using the radio pocket for pliers, which is perfect
All pockets can drain
Light attachment in the back (good for foggy/dark situation)
High back, so it doesn't interfere with the comfy seat on my Santa Cruz Raptor G2 (same with the other two)

Cons:

Radio pocket is too small for Horizon HX290 VHF radio (not wide enough, not deep enough)  -->  I use the radio pocket for pliers, so it actually work great (see above for 'radio clip').
Biggest pocket cannot hold a Samsung Note phone (almost a deal breaker for me, but I can store it somewhere else)
The two main pockets have two zippers each, I wish they can be just one big pocket with inside mesh

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
while I'm an Extrasport guy, the best advice I can give is the same as when you are purchasing a kayak: test fit a few different models.

get the PFD that that fits you best, and is stylish to your taste, so that you'll wear it without hesitation.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
That said, you should try on as many as possible. CCK in Oakland and REI in Berkeley have a bunch.

Second this idea. Also, if you've got a VHF you use or anything else bulky that needs to go into the PFD, bring it with you to check it'll comfortably fit in the jacket if that's where you stash it. We picked up some Kokotats from CCK in Oakland that I really like for the most part, but they're a bit small in the pocket for the Horizon HX851s we use.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I just bought a Stohlquist Keeper Lifejacket.  I've owned the NRS Chinook, Stohlquist Fisherman and like the Stohlquist Keeper the best.  I only wish it comes in a bright color for OTW visibility. 

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Stohlquist-Keeper-Life-Jacket?sc=7&category=226
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
For all those who want to stuff everything (radio, phone, whatever) into their pfds, remember all that bulk in the front of your pdf may hinder your effort in self rescue.

Trying on as many pfds as possible in the stores before buying is good advice. But if you can, rent or borrow the model you want to buy and actually try to do a self rescue on the water. You may find that once in the water, the pfd rides up high, or have pockets that gets snagged when trying to climb back on your kayak.

OnTheReel

• Salmon
  • Father, Angler, Adventure Seeker
  • View Profile On The Reel Apparel / Gear
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
For all those who want to stuff everything (radio, phone, whatever) into their pfds, remember all that bulk in the front of your pdf may hinder your effort in self rescue.

Trying on as many pfds as possible in the stores before buying is good advice. But if you can, rent or borrow the model you want to buy and actually try to do a self rescue on the water. You may find that once in the water, the pfd rides up high, or have pockets that gets snagged when trying to climb back on your kayak.

Excellent points my friend!! This!! ^^
- Austin - IG: on_the_reel_831

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

Yep.  That's exactly what I realized the last time I practiced self rescue.  My knife snagged, came out of its sheath and landed in the kayak where I was about to flop myself into!

I was at Walmart the other day and saw they have the Stearns spiderwire hybrid fishing/paddling vest on sale for only $49.99.  I like it but it has this huge pocket (work bench) in the front that I think would probably snag when doing a self rescue. 
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

liverbass

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
thanks for the recommendations, I plan on hitting up REI to check some up.  Also good call on bringing my radio to see if it fits in the pocket.

Crayon

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I have the NRS Chinook it is a good vest and does not interfere with the seat on my PA.
Only problem with the NRS Chinook is there is no good way to attach the radio. I end clipping the radio to the pocket but it still gets in the way.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I just bought a Stohlquist Keeper Lifejacket.  I've owned the NRS Chinook, Stohlquist Fisherman and like the Stohlquist Keeper the best.  I only wish it comes in a bright color for OTW visibility. 

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Stohlquist-Keeper-Life-Jacket?sc=7&category=226

From Stohlquist website:  The soft, thin back panel provides the best fit and comfort when used with the tall seats/chairs found on today's kayak fishing boats.

Its very comfortable on my Hobie Vantage seat. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Tinker

I have the Stohlquist Fisherman and the Kokatat Bahia Tour.  Both are great.

The Bahia's back floatation is a bit higher and doesn't get pushed-up by the seat back like the Stohlquist.

The Bahia Tour has a radio pocket in the front, where it could get in the way if I'm struggling to get back in.  It doesn't get in the way when I practice self-recovery, but that's in calmer water.

I don't keep much in the Fisherman's big pockets and they haven't been a self-recovery problem, but there's no pocket to carry the radio.

I give a slight edge to the Kokatat for all-day comfort but both keep me afloat.

Bhil

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
"ONYX MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest" is what I use. High back, has a small pocket with whistle, and straps near the shoulder for a radio. I bought my from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk