Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Required safety equipment  (Read 2778 times)

Lugnut

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I've searched but haven't found exactly what i am looking for.  is there a link or a post that shows you what is required to carry on a NON-motorized kayak?  Thanks

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=27534.0

a lot of things are not required by law but it is required to live in case something happens.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

a lot of things are not required by law but it is required to live in case something happens.

That's a good way to put it...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
For the salt, you're required to have a PFD and sound device. If you're out in darkness, you need a 360 degree white light.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Lugnut

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016

Agreed.....looks like I already have most of the recommended items.  I don't plan on being out on the bay or in the ocean, but lakes, and rivers can be just as dangerous. Thanks to all that shared there input. 

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
When (not if) your plans change and you head out fishing in the ocean, you will be required to carry a landing net with at least an 18" hoop.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
If you're out in darkness, you need a 360 degree white light.

Not correct. You do not need the 360 light on a kayak. You do need to carry a light(torch) capable of warning people you are there.

"A vessel under oars may display those lights prescribed for sailing vessels or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light, which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision"

A 360 light is only required for a boat on anchor. A powerboat or sailboat running is only required to  have red/green nav lights and a rearward facing white light. Also under running needs a forward facing mast light, power or sail. And, a power boat under 39' may display a 360 all around light instead of the forward facing mast light.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Ling Banger

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
If you are on a navigable waterway a handheld VHF is always nice.

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
If you're out in darkness, you need a 360 degree white light.

Not correct. You do not need the 360 light on a kayak. You do need to carry a light(torch) capable of warning people you are there.

"A vessel under oars may display those lights prescribed for sailing vessels or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light, which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision"

A 360 light is only required for a boat on anchor. A powerboat or sailboat running is only required to  have red/green nav lights and a rearward facing white light. Also under running needs a forward facing mast light, power or sail. And, a power boat under 39' may display a 360 all around light instead of the forward facing mast light.

^^^ what Rob said.  I carry a headlamp and my head is always on a swivel... which reminds me, about time to swap out batteries.  :smt003
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

smallkinefish

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LizN

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
When (not if) your plans change and you head out fishing in the ocean, you will be required to carry a landing net with at least an 18" hoop.

Is this still required? I'm asking because I had heard mixed opinions about this so when I bought my gear recently at West Marine, I asked the clerk (who said he was a kayak fisherman) if I was required by law to carry a net and he said no. He was aware I'd be fishing from a kayak in the ocean in the Santa Cruz area. I also tried to look for this in the CDFW regulations and couldn't find it (doesn't mean it's not buried in there somewhere?)

I'm sure I'll eventually want a net, but if it's not a legal requirement, I want to wait a while before getting one.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I believe there hasn't been any changes in the regs In regards to nets. Why risk a hefty fine for a cheap net?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Is this still required? I'm asking because I had heard mixed opinions about this so when I bought my gear recently at West Marine, I asked the clerk (who said he was a kayak fisherman) if I was required by law to carry a net and he said no. He was aware I'd be fishing from a kayak in the ocean in the Santa Cruz area. I also tried to look for this in the CDFW regulations and couldn't find it (doesn't mean it's not buried in there somewhere?)

I'm sure I'll eventually want a net, but if it's not a legal requirement, I want to wait a while before getting one.

28.65(d)
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

LizN

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Thanks for pointing out the section, I see it now and will get a net before going out again. I didn't plan to risk a fine, which is why I had tried to look up the requirements myself as well as asking at West Marine when purchasing my gear. The gear costs add up quickly when getting started and I'm trying not to purchase things I didn't need until I really know what I want.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
One thing to save on costs.... look for used gear and borrow from friends. I completely hear you how much things can add up. As an example, I paid a big chunk of change for my first net. I just recently found a used version of that same net... And if you lived closer, I would be happy to loan you one.   :smt001

anything